1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Consolidated B&EC "Quick Question" Thread.

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by looktall, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Foliage

Foliage Member

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=online+sms+confirm+appointment+service

2. StarTrekCafe

StarTrekCafe Member

hi, using jaws for windows from http://www.freedomscientific.com and using firefox, and trying to use http://manage.windowsazure.com and got a dreamspark subscription, when i click on the new button, cannot create anything and the admin part is disabled. so how to fix this, did try signing up for a new free windows azure account, but as i don't have a cell phone, only a voip landline, via the national broadband network, when i try to put in my number and using +61 for australia, says phones using voip not allowed for verification. did ask my lectuer, see if they had a full subscription. learning about windows azure in my it course diploma of softwaredevelopment from http://www.upskilled.edu.au, and now, learning about and doing the security and have been learning about sql server, and uploaded a assignment last night. so, learning about windows azure and doing the cloud and storage windows azure from http://www.pluralsight.com. can any one help me out. did try to online chat with microsoft support, but well. got this far. can anyone help me out. thanks.

3. Dre_

Dre_ Member

Use portal.azure.com instead of the old manage.windowsazure.com

You need a mobile or landline not voip to verify your account...

Call Microsoft on 13 2058 for help

4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Storage Nerds.

Moving a windows file server to an all Flash SAN, do I need to make any tweaks on the windows side of things to make full use of the new storage? is can I just storage vmotion it and have it good to go?

5. NSanity

NSanity Member

not really.

I doubt that ESXi is presenting the trim bits and pieces to Windows, ergo you don't need to tell windows to do that crap either.

6. g00nster

g00nster Member

Not really.

Maybe benchmark it if you're interested to find out see how the Compression and Dedupe play with your file servers I/O

7. Iceman

Iceman Member

What on earth are you doing on a windows based file server that needs all flash levels of performance?

8. g00nster

g00nster Member

Why not?

We have all-flash and hybrid-flash but we moved all our critical workloads to our all-flash system.

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Windows user profiles for a VDI environment.

"need" is a stronk word.

But we've got it, and having it sit unused isn't going to benefit anyone.

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

Flash is cheap.

who cares.

11. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

*For various definitions of 'cheap'.

12. NSanity

NSanity Member

I mean sure, there is absolutely Flash that *isn't* cheap.

And anyone paying some SAN vendor for flash isn't getting it cheap.

But stuffing a box full of Intel DC S35xx's or whatever then presenting it to your friendly local neighborhood vcenter/hyper-v/kvm cluster IS cheap.

Mix in the power savings costs, reliability improvements, etc etc.

Its super cheap.

I genuinely don't have a reason to buy 10/15k drives anymore. You shouldn't either.

13. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Provisioned a new 200/200 circuit for a client
    I'm trying to run iperf and only seeing ~120M second upstream.

But i'm not sure if this is a limitation on the azure end where I'm running the other iperf host, or something else

Has anyone else been run iperf tests to azure servers and exceeded 200Mb/sec across a wan link?

14. jajjj

jajjj Member

Random question, but how is everyone doing user provisioning these days?

We are using on-premises AD.

I am in the unique position of still being handed a paper form with details on it and then we manually create the user.

Do we all use a SharePoint form or is there a better way to capture the information so that automation can proceed?

I am after you collective thoughts as at best 1 user can take an hour to setup and it's obscene to me.

15. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

Information is entered into HR system by HR (or People and Engagement or whatever they're call themselves these days). Through the magic of integration and automation, a user is created.

16. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

We're not far off that ourselves :lol:

We've got a number of systems in place, all of them independent, most of them which can't talk to each other. We've rollout out FIM to try and help with some of it, but having HR choose an employee portal product which doesn't even integrate with AD.. :Paranoid:

We've got our work cut out for us..

17. jajjj

jajjj Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I just trying to figure out if I should be using SharePoint or start learning power apps and using a connector to o365.

Whats FIM?

18. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Forefront Identity Manager - Syncs user details between our payroll system and AD.

19. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Queue IAC, he be doing IAM from the bygone days, rumour is his secret ingredient is a pinch of donkey.

20. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

hee haw
    [​IMG]

FIM has been replaced by MIM (which is effectively identity to FIM with a new name) - which tells you MS aren't investing in that platform anymore.

FIM isn't cheap, IAM in general isn't cheap, but you make your money back from efficiencies. MIM generally has user cals and server licences (but i think they are gone now). but you also need a decent SQL cluster behind it, so consider 2xSQL licences too.

The workflow platform for MIM is garbage too, so you probably want to look at some other form based system (BPM type thing) to do your workflow and approval steps.

If your HR system is Chris21 then FIM/MIM might work an Australian company Unify has an off the shelf connector for FIM/MIM and Chris.

There are lots of other smaller options (e.g. Quest or just standalone powershell), if you go bigger than you are probably more interested in the TIM/TAM OAM/OIM stack, they are both $1m kick off costs though.

Lots of IAM work is around data cleansing, getting consistant data between your systems before you start to sync them. Common password requirements, the same username etc etc.