The Consolidated B&EC "Quick Question" Thread.

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by looktall, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Pepito

Pepito Member

Thanks, yes looks like you're right. After a little googling I see maybe below is best option to go from SQL 2005 Standard to SQL 2008 Express:

https://serverfault.com/questions/210018/convert-upgrade-sql-2005-standard-to-2008r2-express

Anybody in Melbourne interested in a little paid job? :cool: Have placed this task on Airtasker, surprised how quickly I got responses for such a specific task.

2. Pepito

Pepito Member

SQL scares me so that's makes two of us :lol:

Turns out we are actually running SQL Standard (2005)

Thanks for that. Although I'm a little scared I could possibly try this myself tonight with all users off system (only about 5 users). It sounds like I could easily go back to how it was if all turns to poo?

edit: No I better not try remembering that SQL 2005 Standard to SQL 2008 Express is not a supported, or at least straight forward, upgrade path.

Thank you to all respondents.

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I'm even scarder that he is going to let some Rando from Airtasker login to try and fix it.

4. millsy

millsy Member

Airtasker == new APT?

5. Pepito

Pepito Member

Not quite. He/she will be working from my office under my watchful eye and I'm close to paranoid about backups ;)

==

6. millsy

millsy Member

Have you seen how quickly you can backdoor a DC? It's like... seconds.

7. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Even under close supervision, You're one powershell line away from being owned 8 ways from Sunday... and Airtasker aren't going to give two shits.

It's great, I don't need to phone up people and convince them using "errors in the event log" so I can install Team Viewer... I just wait for them to call me... and then, get this!... they pay me for it.

8. millsy

millsy Member

I was thinking the other day you could accomplish shenanigans by pre backdooring PC's people sold on gumtree (I want to check how much ram my computer says it has, run this thing), but this is even better!

9. Dre_

Dre_ Member

You're really stretching the meaning on upgrade here.

10. Pepito

Pepito Member

Sidegrade? :cool:

==

11. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Anyone know of a service like Grasshopper that operates in Aus?

Goal is to create a call group between various users that are on two separate and incompatible phone systems, so that anyone can call a single number and reach one of these users via their mobiles.

12. Pepito

Pepito Member

Has anybody on a Telstra connection noticed multifunction printer scan-to-email suddenly not work last couple of days?

For SMTP in the device have tried smtp.telstrabusiness.com port 25 (what Telstra themselves recommend)

as well as IP addresses 61.9.168.243 & 61.9.168.249 port 25 and port 587

I really dislike scan-to-email but some people refuse to use anything else unless threatened with injury.

==

13. bcann

bcann Member

adobe pdf magically stops printing

Gday All,

Look i know the obvious solution is to not use adobe products, but that isn't an option.

So once in a blue moon on our RDS 2k12 R2 box, adobe for matters unknown to me will just refuse to print, you can click OK on print but you will not get the progress bar and nothing will come out. The user can still print from word or in fact ANY other program, but its just adobe that will shit itself. It is completely random, unpredictable and will disappear and reappear at will in similarly unpredictable fashion. It doesn't seem local to the user (IE can be any user) or the Print box because everything else works just fine(word/excel/notepad/whatever). If you then go and delete the printer and reinstall it, it appears to work just fine. At first i thought it was just Xerox's shitty drivers, but now the shitty HP laser jet we bought for bean counter central performed the same trick. It can go weeks with zero issue, and then 3 people inside a few hours will have it happen.

I've done drivers, printer, PCL, PS, hell even now a different brand of printer, and still the same shit. Unfortunately we did try a different PDF reader, but we had compatibility issues with some of the stuff we received that wouldn't render properly.

Can anybody point me in the right direction as its driving me nuts.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  14. NSanity

NSanity Member

Install the print queue on the server directly, not via a shared connection

15. bcann

bcann Member

the print queue sits on its own dedicated Print server not the RDS box.

16. NSanity

NSanity Member

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  17. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

trying "Raw telnet" to send SMTP commands to the telstra server yourself and see what happens

18. AzonIc

AzonIc Member

Does anyone know if I can configure Office365 exchange transport rules or similar to route all internally sent email that is sent to @fax (no .com etc) to another domain?

I'm figuring it'll have a problem because it's not a FQDN

I'm trying to make life as easy as possible for my users to enable them to email to fax out via number@fax as opposed to an external domain that they'll need to learn

I can go tinker to see but thought I would check here first

19. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Firefox preferences in files.

For Shitware Reasons, I need to set some specific printing preferences in firefox.

In a mozilla.cfg, which is being read and used, I have a bunch of shite.

Code:
    lockPref("print.printer_\\\\Server\Printer.print_footercenter", "");
    lockPref("print.printer_\\\\Server\Printer.print_footerleft", "");
    lockPref("print.printer_\\\\Server\Printer.print_footerright", "");
    lockPref("print.printer_\\\\Server\Printer.print_headercenter", "");
    to disable to footer.

But when I start firefox, my Escaped backslashes are turning into Pipes (when viewed in about.config).

What am I doing wrong.

20. Luke212

Luke212 Member

you can redirect the email to another address, but the number part will be lost. so i dont know an easy way to do it. it might not even send.

pretty easy to remember an external fax company like @efaxsend.com isnt it?