1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Consolidated B&EC "Quick Question" Thread.

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by looktall, Jun 6, 2015.

1. tin

tin Member

You'd be best finding some sort of "hat"... Sort of like a really badly fitting condom (with ~1-2cm gap around the device), if that helps imagine what I mean. If you really want to enclose it a bit more, use a box with drain holes in the bottom. But I'd aim for open bottom so the air can vent around a bit more.

And use switches that don't have fans if you can. Stops dust killing stuff.

And if water does get inside, which it tends to over time, it can't get back out. Water tight works both ways... And water WILL work it's way in if the environment is prone to being damp/wet.

2. person

person Member

The switches aren't really going to last in that environment, .. ceiling? sounds inaccessible, problems with fire code etc etc? .... if you really can't relocate the switches with longer cables etc then maybe you need expensive outdoor stuff? http://www.inscapedata.com/lps2000-3000.htm

3. scips

scips Member

Environment is southern victoria, goes from snow to desert depending on time of year. Its out of the elements, best location I can think of would be screwed high up into the wall with concrete below.

Im thinking something like up above, pretty oversized for a lil 8port with a vented base with a dust filter.

I think as long as the cable inlets are all at the bottom through rubber grommets it'd survive fairly well.

APs I'm guessing I'll need to go with the 74's for outside spots and a couple of extra 33's to account for the not ideal locations.

4. scips

scips Member

FFS.

Noone has the info to login to ruckus for a client, anyone got any ideas/experience with ruckus virtual smart cell gateway and resetting its admin pw without just fully nuking it/spinning up a new one?(its an ESXI VM)

5. Pepito

Pepito Member

A mate says twice this weekend he's been called by Commbank on his mobile phone whenever he logs into Netbank. They then talk him through running McAfee Stinger.

As soon as he started telling the story I began thinking "oh oh here we go, scammer time" but I'm now confident they were legit calls from Commbank.

His computer comes up clean to Stinger every time (I know he runs Webroot) but as a precaution they issued him new login credentials anyway.

Anybody know what sort of thing could trigger calls from Commbank like this?

I'm curious about all this so am heading out to his place tonight. Will probably try logging in to my Netbank on his PC as a test :cool:

==

6. bcann

bcann Member

can anyone do me a favour

can anyone do me a quick and dirty form spam test for our new page. lets just say we've had some issues with the web folk, and i'd like to see if they can get basic form submission secured properly without allowing it to spam the world...???

7. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

Yammer

Yammer has recently? started notifying users, "Try Yammer for Windows, Download the app".

We have application whitelisting enabled, so users can't run it, but we'd like to stop it from popping up at all. Does anyone know how to turn it off?

(I don't have access to the Office 365 admin panel myself, so can't just go looking and my google fu is letting me down)

8. mr626

mr626 Member

Apple shops- do Apple still offer the ability to have a local cache for software updates?

If yes, how does one setup such a thing?

Had a large amount of Apple devices onboarded recently, and my internet is crying :upset:

Or should I just block swcdn.apple.com and appldnld.apple.com :p

9. tobes

tobes Member

Yup, can set it up in Apple Server with the click of a button. You need some sort of Mac that can run most recent apple OS on a wired connection and a copy of server which is $30.

10. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

I think it was elvis who linked this initially, but apparently you can run reposado on some *nix variants, if you'd prefer. I have no experience with this product, just recall it from another thread (or possibly earlier in this one).

11. Dre_

Dre_ Member

Need someone to crawl around my parents roof, run some network cables down a wall.

Melbourne western 'burbs.

Any ideas?

12. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Have worked with ruckus before.

Are you using them with a controller? What firmware version are you up to?

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yup, we're running reposado in production. Works a bloody treat. Sits on a Linux VM, nightly sync via the provided scripts, and a one-liner command to point your Mac to the internal update location. If the Mac is yours temporarily, you can delete the entry and it'll revert to Apple's default server locations once you've done all your updates.

Apple's caching service on macOS's server "app" is OK. It caches everything (including AppStore items and iOS/watchOS updates). So if you've got a lot of iPhone/iPad users, you might want that. The downside is, like any on-demand cache, the first user gets the update at regular speed, and everyone else after that gets the cached versions. As with any Apple product, it's braindead easy to set up and get working. But like everything Apple does, it relies on Bonjour, which can get noisy on large networks, and breaks ifyou disable layer2 broadcast between hosts (say, if you've got a guest WiFi network and want to offer a little extra protection to your guests).

But if it's just macOS desktops security patching you want, reposado is the bidness.

14. mr626

mr626 Member

Thanks for this (and to the earlier replies too). Appreciate the extra info re macOS / iOS as that's relevant for us- we've got a lot of iPad users so we'll likely need the server app.

But, that means I need Apple metal to run it on I guess. Bleh. Wish Apple would license stuff like this as a virtual appliance.

Thanks all.

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah, the lack of Apple infrastructure for business is frustrating.

The good news is that Apple Caching Server is pretty lightweight. We're running it for around a hundred users on a pretty old Mac Mini. The base OS itself is on the Mac Mini's local hard disk, and the cache data sits on an iSCSI share off our enterprise storage.

That same physical server also holds our Deploy Studio setup as well, and handles it all without much issue.

Combine reposado, Apple Caching Server and a generic Squid cache setup, and you can get pretty good coverage to downgrade the kick to the guts that is an ad-hoc network of Apple gear and a crappy Australian Internet link.

16. jajjj

jajjj Member

Hi Guys,

Need your group knowledge, i work in health care service and i keep being told i cant have a CRM due to data sovereignty.. where can i find information regarding what data i need to store within Australia?

17. millsy

millsy Member

18. miicah

miicah Member

Anything to do with kids or medical records pretty much.

Surely there is a governing body that can give you this information?

19. bcann

bcann Member

given its health care and i too work in it, just run under the assumption that it all *SHOULD* be stored locally. Given there are now mandatory data disclosure laws, should you lose/have exposed any of that data you now pretty much have to report it to the government and client, i wouldn't want it housed anywhere apart from australia.

20. jajjj

jajjj Member

Thanks all for that information. I will have a read of the privacy act and see what i can ascertain.

I don't want to store medical data, I just want to create a CRM for marketing
    fundraising/event activities.