The Consolidated B&EC "Quick Question" Thread.

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by looktall, Jun 6, 2015.

1. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

They are as useless as tits on a bull

2. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

Mulesoft is quite a reasonable ESB and broker, they do data integration and microservices quite well. The inter-API translation stuff is never going to be drag and drop, but that style of platform is worth at least looking at.

bcann if your software is painful, maybe trying to do it a different way might make it less so over time. what harm is there?

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

OpenDNS here. Really happy with it. They also support DNSCrypt too, which is great. The reporting really shows how stupid end users can get, even with extensive training.

I've used Mailguard for clients who refuse to put in decent mail solutions (typically small business who insist on using their @bigpond.com type addresses, and get inundated with SPAM). That service has always been top notch, so I'd be happy enough to try their Webguard product if I ever required it.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    KDog likes this.
  4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://nodered.org/

I have used this before to create interface for "non-tech" people to write query / monitoring dashboards, but the user still require some logic and plenty of subject expertise on what the data they are trying to use. Also use it to teach people basic IOT.

But like all no doe needed type systems, eventually you will need custom widgets.

5. bcann

bcann Member

Its not "Our" software as such, its specific to the medical field were in its called "Procura" and it is a wonderful program were you need to manually "copy" files to perform updates, read manuals with jpg's so compressed it looks like ants have walked across the page or so blurry you can't read shit and so outdated and missing steps its like being a fat overweight ballerina who can't see her feet running through a minefield every time you do an upgrade.

But i digress...

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  6. Gunna

Gunna Member

Is anyone using Sharepoint online as a mapped drive? Outside of the need to re-authenticate periodically, have you discovered any other issues?

7. millsy

millsy Member

I found it slow when I mucked around with it, at least the O365 one.

8. Gunna

Gunna Member

As in transfer speed or general browsing? I'm looking at moving a 2 person office over to Sharepoint online and mapping the Online Docs.

9. millsy

millsy Member

Both actually, gave up on it. Consumer net connection if that matters.

10. Gunna

Gunna Member

How do I set a URL as a trusted site via GPO while still giving users the ability to edit their trusted sites?

If I enable Zone assignments lists in the GPO, users cannot edit their trusted sites, at the moment i've been using registry settings to set the trusted site however they appear as *.domain.com where I want https:\\*.domain.com

Registry keys i've been using:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\%domain name% with a value of * and D_Word of 00000002

Edit: never mind. I just needed to specify https as the value and not *, it then comes in as https://*.domain.com

11. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\%domain name%" value name of Https and dword 00000002

upload_2018-5-1_15-33-51.png

12. Gunna

Gunna Member

Cheers.

13. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Realistic options on this? Windows 7, SFC reports problems, unable to repair. CBS log files and checkSURT unable to repair

SFCFix reports this:
    FAILED: Could not repair missing store directory C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-themeui_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.23913_none_878e750192e1f370 with error code 0x570.
    * directory is not missing.

WARNING: Failed to get store name from identity name with return code 2 for component prnca00h.inf and file Amd64\CNBP_286.DLL. File is reported as corrupt by SFC.
    CORRUPT: Amd64\CNBP_286.DLL of component prnca00h.inf.
    * It's only a printer driver, so I don't really care.

FIXED: Corruption at C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-winsock-legacy_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_3f5a28502b37c577\rnr20.dll has been successfully repaired from C:\Windows\winsxs\old.amd64_microsoft-windows-winsock-legacy_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_3f5a28502b37c577\rnr20.dll.
    * See, it can create file rnr20.dll

Failed to copy file F:\Windows\System32\wsock32.dll to C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-winsock-legacy_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_3f5a28502b37c577\wsock32.dll with error code ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND.
    * the file exists at F:\windows\system32\winsock32.dll. It also exists in f:\windows\winsxs\blaaaaa\ - it's only when i try to paste it in that C:\windows\winsxs\winsocklegacybla folder
    * i even renamed the folder to old.blawinsocklegacy (you can see above where it recovered rnr20.dll from there)

CORRUPT: C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-i..nese_nec98_usb_only_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_37368f7ad397beb3\kbdnec.DLL
    * again, only a chinese keyboard, I don't care really.

chkdsk persistently reports no corruption or problems, or bad sectors

any other ideas.. ?
    I suppose I could rename./delete winsocklegacy folder again, copy the wsock.dll file from F: to C:\old-winsock-legacy, re-run sfcfix and see if it sorts it..

all options were performed under administratively elevted console..

14. OP
    OP
    looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Tested your ram?

15. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

actually, no, not ram...

16. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

same, pretty sure it just uses WebDAV over HTTPS, i also used it for a bit on 365 to sync files locally, wasn't great. Latency screws its usability, so in big enterprise with 13847 filters its crap, on conjested links, or 4G its also crap.

If you have SP on 365 maybe just do onedrive instead.

17. person

person Member

Agreed, try out the new OneDrive for 365 that has Files-on-Demand and connect that to SharePoint online, it's like the mapped drive idea but with caching, significantly more usable https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...iles-On-Demand-For-The-Enterprise/ba-p/117234

18. Gunna

Gunna Member

One drive is limited to that user's log in yeah?

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

Nope. You can do teamsites etc as well.

20. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.jitbit.com/alexblog/249-now-thats-what-i-call-a-hacker/
    Quote the whole thing because its just too good.

bcann and fredhoon like this.