The Dell XPS 15 (9550) - Everything you ever wanted?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by mcfee03, Oct 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

I can't imagine they'd leave it much longer than that surely?

2. mtw

mtw Member

It will be whenever the relevant Kaby Lake chips are ready as well as the 1050.

3. nugget28

nugget28 Member

4. Mikos

Mikos Member

5. MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

If it's anything like the XPS13 2-in-1 AUS pricing, probably add about $500-$800 on top because fuck you, Australia.

Disappointed there isn't a 1050ti option - apparently it's pretty much on par performance-wise with a 970m just way cooler and better battery which would make this my ideal laptop.

Cheers

M

6. Pik0

Pik0 Member

7. MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

8. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

At that price they can get stuffed

9. Mikos

Mikos Member

What are the alternatives for similar specs with the same dimensions / weight? I find it hard to find similar form factor w/ a decent video card and RAM spec.

10. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

if you don't care about gaming too much, try to get a deal on the old model or on the outlet.

Along the if you don't care about gaming line of thought, I saw a Latitude 14 7000 pretty much fully loaded (sky lake i7/16Gb) on the forums here for 1k....

lenovo were doing some insane deals on T460s a few days ago, 1k off or similar. not sure what the go is now.

11. unit0000

unit0000 New Member

I've been told the best price for the new XPS 15/512gb/16gb is $2699. Does anyone have any hacks or deals to lower the price?

12. MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

http://www.razerzone.com/au-en/store/razer-blade

Buy this for a few hundred dollars more instead and get way better performance?

No Kaby which is sad I suppose, but the GPUs are classes apart and it's lighter (I think?).

M

13. thecondor

thecondor Member

Horses for courses I suppose, that razer only has a full HD screen and is pretty thick.

14. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

It's cheaper in Singapore! Wow...

$2999 SGD
    $2999 AUD

(for middle model, the 32gb model isn't available in Singapore)

15. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

After taking into account the different levels of sales tax being applied to those quotes, it's less than a 5% difference. If you happen to be visiting, great, but otherwise the saving's liable to be swallowed up entirely by delivery costs.

EDIT: doh. Just saw your location. :D

16. mtw

mtw Member

Full HD screen is a pro to a lot of people, especially if it is the only option providing a matte finish.

As for "pretty thick", we are talking 17.9mm (Razer Blade) vs 17.0mm (XPS 15). Do you really think that extra 0.9mm laptop height is going to make a huge impact to your life?

EDIT: Also, for what it is worth, the keyboard on the Razer Blade is so much nicer to use than the XPS 15.

17. MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

The XPS15 is surprisingly weighty. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations but I picked one up in JB the other day and it had a fair amount of heft to it.

That being said, it was right after picking up the XPS13 so... not exactly fair.

If I had the money to spend it would be the Razer no doubt.

If you desperately wanted a higher-res screen, get a separate 27" - 30" for home use.

I can't imagine needing the extra res while mobile - I know I haven't found a benefit on my GS60 (which has a 3k screen).

That being said the 3k screen on mine is absolute shite so... not the greatest comparison anyway.

M

18. lionman

lionman Member

Why would you even need a 15" 4k screen? Seems like a waste of performance trying to drive that thing.

Better off with a really high quality 1080p screen IMO.

19. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Agree re: FHD is the way to go on laptops. Even with Win10, until all the app developers (looking at you, MICROSOFT OFFICE 2013) do DPI scaling properly, its a sh1tshow. And a waste of pixels/cycles/battery, 1080p looks plenty sharp to me on 15".

The only concern with Razer is the support, and also do you even trust their reliability. Plenty of stories around here of razer mice/keyboards falling apart, not sure if I'd trust them with 2.6k (and with probably really crappy local support as well, no Dell Pro NBD onsite replacement for you....).

20. shiny1

shiny1 Member

The only plus side for the 4K screen is the touch capability. I have the FHD and I'm loving the battery life, but sometimes I do dream about touch capability (still FHD).