1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The DtpaKiller headphone amp lives

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by dakiller, Dec 22, 2004.

1. OP
    OP
    dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

just drew the schematic, placed the components on the board and drew the tracks inbetween
    though it was a lot of ripping it all up and starting again to get the layout just right
    that is an addon called Eagle 3d that generates a text file that is then rendered in POVRay

2. Mime

Mime Member

I am the proud owner of this amp (if not the one pictured then one from the same batch). I just got it today so I havent had lots of time to play with it, but I can assure you it sounds excellent. I am running DT440s and normally use a NADc350 amp to run my phones.

The DT440s dont really need a dedicated amp so I'll say upfront that I am not using this headphone amp to its potential. However, the phones definitely sound better through this amp than through my NAD, to my ears anyway- new buyer exhuberance aside.

Quarter volume is fine for normal, engrossed, listening. Half volume is pumping and about as far as I would want to go for any extended period, for the sake of my ears. 3/4 volume I can handle but I choose not to. I get a little distortion at full volume, but I get blood out of my eyes at the same time ;) Generally I have been using about 1/6th volume- I need to hear the phone ring too during the day.

All up, I am very pleased. Great headphone amp at a great price, and daki][er was very good to deal with. Product came on time and was well packaged.

I have some MS Pros coming from Snufkin in the next few days and will give an update on how they go, and a bit more on comparing the headphone amp with running the phones through the NAD when I get the time.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  3. peranders

peranders Member

Da Killer, your pcb looks good :thumbup:

4. Jazper

Jazper Member

well I began work on my dtpaki][er amp today .. Still waiting on some parts from mouser (damn international shipping). The TPA is a bit of a bitch to solder but with a bit of preserverence it can be done. I'm really thankful I got a good soldering iron (weller wesd51) as I feel it has helped immensely so far.

Will keep everyone posted

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  5. OP
    OP
    dakiller

Wouldn’t be as good if I didn’t get all that help from you, your suggestions really helped

(You stalking me?)

6. peranders

peranders Member

7. Jazper

Jazper Member

Well my Dakiller amp is now alive. Mouser parts arrived today.

Construction notes:

1.The tpa is a nasty sucker to solder.
    2. Some of the components are VERY snug against each other (physically)
    3. some of the holes should probably be a bit bigger (for larger guage wires)
    4. the amp has 2 inputs
    5. SMD soldering is best done with a very long thin conical soldering iron tip
    6. good tweezers are a must.

Sound notes:
    .. blown away.

8. DJ-Studd

DJ-Studd Member

Hi Daniel,

I'm interested in buying a PCB and the rights to build one of these suckers.

How much will this set me back?

Also, do you have a parts list available? Sorry if it's been posted already and I haven't noticed it.

Cheers,
    -- DJ

9. OP
    OP
    dakiller

i got some spare PCB's here for $15, im also getting in some proper shaft extenders for the rear mounted pot as well for around $15 for the set as well but they are still on the way

a guide for the parts list that i've used is on this page but they are only a guide and you can make your own substitution for parts if you want to make it for cheaper

though this project assumes a good knowledge of audio electronics, if you stick with what i've done it will turn out very good

10. kizzap

kizzap Member

definately interested...you have PM.

11. Jazper

Jazper Member

Update:

(note mine uses the opa637 opamps)

Well after significant burnin it sounds better if that's possible. The sound reproduction seems much more dynamic and engrossing, where before it sounded precise and clinical.

There's a definate warmth with classical pieces (especially opera/musical/operetta stuff). Vocals are fantastic, again dynamic.

In short, I love the amp.

12. peranders

peranders Member

Hi!

I was just checking my statistics and found this page. I have changed my webhotel and the links are now:
    http://sjostromaudio.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=27
    http://sjostromaudio.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=27

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  13. maddcore

maddcore Member

Wow random bump.

Didn't DaKiller make some mint-box sized portable headphone amps? I'd be interested in one...

14. OP
    OP
    dakiller

I did, but now I don't, and I don't have any intention of making one of those fiddly things ever again.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  15. ChesterMcCheese

ChesterMcCheese Member

wow that looks really nice. how does it sound?

i thin i need to learn smd sodlering before making that

16. Kenny12

Kenny12 Member

heh intresting this thing resurfaced again, just recieved mine back from a loan

sounds as good as ever

17. renesis_evo

renesis_evo Member

Does anyone still build headphone amps locally? (Ie in Australia)

18. peranders

peranders Member

Hi, I just checked my links a couple of posts above. Unfortunately now new headphone amp designs....

19. OP
    OP
    dakiller

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past