The enormous Virtualisation help thread

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by elvis, May 11, 2011.

1. yanman

yanman Member

Just wondering, is there a preferred guide somewhere for setting up KVM on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS?

There's a lot of resources around but they seem to mention varying methods. One issue I ran into was installing sshd and then setting up interface bridging. I need to confirm 100% but I'm fairly sure that after setting up bridging that sshd would no longer auto-start. It starts manually just fine but absolutely refuses to start automatically no matter what I try :/

2. yanman

yanman Member

I'm attempting the same thing. My hardware supports it. What have you tried from CLI if any to confirm support?

I'm using this as a base:
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Multiheaded-NVIDIA-Gaming-using-Ubuntu-14-04-KVM-585/

3. kronikabis

kronikabis Member

if you follow and read and understand the Ubuntu documentation it will get you to a running state for kvm. I believe form memory the documentation also details virsh and virt-manager front ends for libvirt

it's literally just install the packages. Bridging is one option if you want the vm accessible on the network. There are many other options for networking depending on use case.

Bridging is the one that seems most sense as it will act just like a machine on local network. read the doco on /etc/network/interfaces (also covered in the ubuntu wiki kvm page - keep in mind the "eth0" might not be "eth0" as persistent interface naming is not standard in later versions of ubuntu)

4. kronikabis

kronikabis Member

Familiarise yourself with setting up a virtual machine first so you understand a bit more about what is going on.

You can go back and modify config to do the pci-e-passthough at a later date.

It is buggy to use depending on hardware. Looks promising in the future.

Feel free to ask questions in here, if you get stuck on any parts

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  5. yanman

yanman Member

Cheers. Yeh I definitely want bridging. My Ethernet adaptors have slightly different names but that shouldn't matter.

At this stage I'd just like to get a basic VM up before pass-through - though I'm attempting this via CLI rather than GUI. Since I want the box to ultimately be headless/keyboardless boot I figure I should keep things to CLI right from the get-go.

The sshd is the one that's getting in my way atm :/

6. FalconGT

FalconGT Member

I plan on doing this myself. Not long finished a new rig, but waiting on a new video card to finish it off.

I've been reading the following guide
    https://vfio.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-1-hardware.html

7. Statitica

Statitica Member

I have been doing it all through virt-manager, but it tells me that my host does not support PCI passthrough.

8. HighLife

HighLife Member

KVM bridged interface issue

Any KVM guru's out there can help me with an issue I'm seeing?

I've just configured a Centos 7 - KVM host with which I'm hoping to replace an ageing ESXi host. I have 2 x windows 7 guests running on it currently. I have configured bridged networking on the host, so the guests can access the same network as the host. All works well except that occasionally the guest loses connectivity on bridged interface. I can still access the host via ssh and if I issue "ifup br0 && ifdown br0" then the guest is back up and running again.

The guest is using virtio ethernet drivers. It seems to occur under extended high network throughput on the guest.

It looks related to this bug report:
    https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=5526

I have seen other reports of similar behaviour on the web but so far haven't found a resolution. This is a bit of a show stopper for us using KVM if I cant sort this out as I'm hoping to run a number of Windows 7 rdp clients on it for use by our staff.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

What kernel, network card and driver are you running?

"uname" will give you the kernel. "lspci","dmesg", and "lsmod" will tell you things about your cards and drivers.

10. HighLife

HighLife Member

Well it seems to have come good now, I'm not exactly sure what fixed it but I think it was changing to different version of the virtio drivers. Now running 4 x Win7 guests and haven't noticed any drop outs for a few weeks. :thumbup:

11. sic_vl2000

sic_vl2000 Member

Subscribed to this thread, I'm planning to have KVM running on a RHEL server for my testing / learning so I can get Red Hat certified.

12. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

So... I've read a few pages and I'm not entirely sure.

If someone wanted a lightweight hypervisor which would allow easily configured guest access to the hardware, what would they use?

Distro?
    KVM?
    Ovirt?

I played around the other night and managed to get an existing 7 install to boot direct from its hdd. I was not able to get the Nvidia card working. Though I did run out of time before modifying the half dozen conf files required.

I was using the latest ubuntu, kvm and ?vmm?

It seems really clunky. The hand-modifying of grub, confs and everything else is slightly mystifying.

Are there any simple free distros built to simply be a host?

13. kripz

kripz Member

install a gui for ubuntu and install virt manager or on another ubuntu desktop to manage the host.

14. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

That's what I did.

15. kripz

kripz Member

You should manage the guests via virt manager, no config editing required.

16. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

There is if you want to pass direct hardware access through.

17. kripz

kripz Member

If you're talking about graphics cards then im not sure but on my machine it allows me to pass network cards, usb controllers, everything pci/pcie. I'm using it to pass usb3 controllers to the guest.

18. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  19. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Interesting.

It looks similar though. All the passthrough stuff is manual editing of conf files. Seems weird that there are no scripts for this.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough

20. Ck21

Ck21 Member

try giving unraid a go.

They have pretty good VM support, and its GUI driven manager is pretty good at getting videocard passthrough to work most of the time.

keep in mind, what trips most up, is the need for multiple videocards for it to work reliably, the host and guest must have its own gpus on separate pcie root ports.