The enormous Virtualisation help thread

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by elvis, May 11, 2011.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

4.10.0-28-generic - just upgraded. Am I supposed to pay attention? I've always just apt-get upgraded at regular intervals

re: docker, did defaults so I assume I'm using overlay2. I'm only running 1 node anyway with no orchestration beyond docker-compose ATM, though I am going to start labbing kube soon

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Ubuntu LTS gets "HWE" (HardWare Enablement) updates, which is more or less optional kernel upgrades from current-stable Ubuntu that are backported to the LTS releases.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack#Kernel.2FSupport.A16.04.x_Ubuntu_Kernel_Support

16.04LTS shipped with 4.4, then got bumped to 4.8, then 4.10, and soon 4.13. Very handy for folks who have bleeding edge hardware (we regularly need updates for new model Wacom tablets on artists' workstations), but also great for folks who run virtualisation, network devices (firewalls/routers) or other things built off Linux and want to take advantage of new features in updated kernels, without needing to upgrade the entire userspace land at the same time.

3. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

yeah that was a key driver for me going Ubuntu not CentOS - I wanted to make sure all the bits and pieces of my Xeon E3v5 and C236 chipset worked with minimum hassle. I remember the good old days well (dual booting back into windows to google how to get my softmodem to work in linux, good times... not).
    Would probably rather practice RH due to enterprise penetration, but oh well.

4. Statitica

Statitica Member

Is there an easy method for working out what specs you would need a server to be? I'm playing with the idea of two servers in two different locations, and I'm wondering if it is as simple as just adding up the allocated resources per VM.

EDIT: also, am I correct in thinking that it is best practice to set up separate VMs for each area of function on a server? i.e. apart from the VMs which will be used for workstations, to also have (for example) a proxy server in it's own VM, instead of running on the main server itself, so as to compartmentalise each function set, allowing a modular approach to expansion (i.e. migration of VMs to separate servers if and when required).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  5. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Is there yet a decently working "Desktop hypervisor"?

I've played a bit with OpenXT, and it has potential, but it's not yet at the "stick my main OS on it stage"

6. s8n

s8n Member

hi all, ive got a i7 4770 with the intel intergrated hd 6400. Im trying to get quicksync working in Win10 as I use this PC for blueiris.

Im running 6.7.1 ESX and a VM image for Win10.

I can pass through the Intel card to the VM, but I get a Triangle saying Error code when ti starts the hardware. As a result, its just using the standard VGA card.

Can anyone assist? I want to pass it through for QuickSync and to use the onboard HDMI so I can output the VM to a large TV. I tried about 4 different Intel drivers from 2015 onwards :(

Thank you!