The Evil Within 2

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Oct 13, 2017.

1. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

2. congoh

congoh Member

My suggestion is wait for sale unless you're a diehard fan of the genre.

I have TEW1 on PS3.
    It has its moments but overall it's just disjointed/convoluted story that really dosen't make sense and play mechanics is just so so.

I know some people love this type of games but for me personally it really isn't worth the full $$.

Get it when it hits < $10. You can get PC version of TEW1 from EB for $8. TEW2 will most likely end up there in not too distant future.

3. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Sounds fair. I have a bunch of games to get through before November.

4. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I enjoyed the first and once I adapted the jankiness wasn't too bad. I never did finish my AKUMU run and got distracted around Chapter 9; TBH I was dreading dealing with Chapter 10 and dealing with the Laura escape sequence. I passed the crucible that was Chapter 6 so I could still do it if I can get back into it.

I'll wait and see on this one. Are they using ID Tech 6 or have they gone with something different?

EDIT: Okay it's using their own STEM Engine whatever that is; something modified no doubt.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

modified idtech engine....not sure which branch though.... 6?

6. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Decided to grab this and Wolftenstein at the same time; both will keep me busy until the the end of the year. All reviews so far seem to indicate they've built upon the first one and created something substantially better that the first. I had enough fun with the first one so I'm happy to give this a go.

7. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Kinda cautious because it's said to be good but it's $89 at JB. any cheaper options?

8. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I munged my wrist so I'm stuck using a controller for a bit. I wanted to play Wolf but don't feel like dealing with it with a controller so I opted for this. So far very surprised with how different it is compared to no.1; and in a good way. Normal rules apply from the AKUMU run as I'm going into nightmare difficulty off the bat, but it's fun. Not scary but still some anxious moments. Annoyingly the match system isn't present and there are plenty of corpses that are ready to rise that I cannot deal with without hitting them and triggering the other 3 nearby.

I like that it's a large map that you can approach how you feel. 6 hours in and still in Chapter 3 so I've got a long road ahead.

9. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Game is a lot easier than I thought even on Nightmare. The bottle to the face trick allows very easy take downs of single baddies (was very useful in the first one on AKUMU difficulty but very very risky due to one hit kills on yourself and the flailing). You can carry up to five bottles to distract enemies and then sneak up to them for stealth kill and there are bottle everywhere. If you pace yourself well, you can throw the bottle into the face of an enemy to stagger them, and sprint up and insta-kill them while they are stunned (assuming they don't flail hit you). Means you can save loads of ammo wiping regulars and gather lots of green gel.

Up to Chapter 5 now and still enjoying it. Wrist is getting better so I tried it with a mouse a keyboard and it's far easier but still getting slight cramping.

10. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Chapter 13/16 and getting there (21 hours so far). Story makes much more sense than the first game and overall it's a much more coherent game.

I hate bullet sponge bosses but it's likely the hardest difficulty.

11. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Finished. Took about 20 hours on Nightmare. Definitely much better than the first and a good balance challenge wise. If you had an alright time with the first one give it a shot.

12. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

what if for those new to the series?

13. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I think they'll have fun. I mean it's not GOTY material, but it's more fun, coherent and balanced than the first.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  14. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

EB Games have on sale for $57 and I got JB to price match it for me.

15. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Is it just me or is the performance just terrible?

16. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

If you've come from Wolftenstein then definitely. The STEM engine is pretty bad compared to id Tech 6 but it was consistent. I think I had it on max settings at 1080p and it was always 50+ FPS on an R9 390; FreeSync helped which I don't get with Wolftenstein due to Vulkan.

17. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I mean I can live with 30fps and a controller but come on for an id tech engine it should be able to do 60fps easily. Dishonored 2 using another id tech modded engine (Void IIRC) can get up to 60fps so I don't see how TEW2 can't.

Anyway. I think I'll just play it at 1440p ultra 30fps and tweak my settings.

Also, I don't know why LOD is disable by default on all presets....you'd think that would be enabled by default...but nope.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  18. Razor-47

Razor-47 Member

I'd read reports that it was bad but personally I ran it just fine. Had one crash the entire game.

As for the game itself, I found it much more enjoyable than the first. On my second playthrough right now and I've already maxed everything except the different crossbow EX upgrades. Only reason I'm doing a second playthrough is because I missed a side mission.

19. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I'm still trying to work out if I'll attempt a classic mode run. I've given up on 100% Wolfenstein as I'm not even going to attempt to indulge a Mein Leben run.

20. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

With a 1070 on high I can barely get it to hold at 60fps at 1080p on the high preset.