The first game that really WOWed you?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Oct 8, 2014.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Definitely GOTY UT. The music, the atmosphere, the fast play, the weapons, the worlds, the characters.....wow, just wow. Blew me away.

Then a very close second is Far Cry.

2. badmofo

badmofo Member

Stunts (4D driving). I just couldn't understand how so much awesome could be contained on one little floppy disk (or 2 slightly larger but thinner floppy disks).

My brother and I would play it obsessively, hysterically, etc.

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Got an Atari console in the 70's with 4 games on it.. all basically different versions of Pong. Hockey, Squash, Tennis and Handball.

Doesn't sound like much but it was fucking WOW when the only place we had ever seen them before was on expensive table gamers in pubs, feeding the damn things with coins..

We were so high tech in my place.. never mind keeping up with the Jones's we WERE the fucking Jones's lol.

A second WOW came when I started playing Lemonade Stand on an Apple II I bought the Mrs for xmas 1978 :thumbup: No more cassettes, it loaded from a DISK OMG !!! AND IT WAS COLOUR !!

4. shirl

shirl Member

Quest for glory,,kings quest...for me

5. Alqemist

Alqemist Member

Tie Fighter - simply unbelievable graphics for a dos game.

6. whowalks

whowalks Member

Return to Krondor was my first PC game obsession in 1994 when I brought a 486 :) also coincided with Uni so it was a great distraction from studies LOL

I also helped I was a fan of Raymond Feist books :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_Krondor

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Later I became addicted to Doom 2 I spent many and late night with my new born daughter playing this as she didnt sleep well.
    ?? was that environment or genetics??

Funny thing is is she has grown up as a bit of a FPS gamer

7. JugV2

JugV2 Member

I've still got Krondor on my pc somewhere! love Feist but was horribly burned by this game.

Hey you raised her just right :thumbup:

8. whowalks

whowalks Member

Ive still got BAK too in 3 1/5 in floppies for dos LOL.
    I though it would have been collectable by now, you know zelda like money :( but alas no

Opps my mistake it was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betrayal_at_Krondor

Betrayal at Krondor ruled all the others sucked

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  9. JugV2

JugV2 Member

I don't think the games were well received at all by the Feist Fans...I had high hopes since Sierra were producing them.

10. whowalks

whowalks Member

the first was good the rest where crap.
    He also ended up writing the books for the games but they where a bit crap too. I suspected they where ghost written.:upset:

11. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

I played this, and Chaos Strikes Back, sooo much I used to hallucinate that I could see buttons on garden walls.

12. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

dayZ

first game thats given me an adrenaline rush.
    sweaty palms, afraid to turn the corner, pinned down by a sniper (so i hid there for like 20 minutes in real time lol).

13. Ospi

Ospi Member

Grant Prix 2. Goldeneye was the next big "wow" and in the modern era, probably bioshock infinite with its scenery.

14. jpower

jpower Member

Quake 1 multiplayer, still remember having all the ip addresses written down on paper next to the keyboard. Loved getting shambler time too.

15. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Probably a notable mention there. First time in a long time that i've been WOWED was putting on the DK1 and jumping in an FG falcon for a lap of Mt Panorama.

16. jtir

jtir Member

Back in my first year of high school, my family could not afford Dune 2 game let alone a PC computer.

So I would visit Bing Lee every day after school and play Dune 2 on Amstrad 386 PC compatible.

17. doug81

doug81 Member

Man, there's some awesome games mentioned in this thread.

Really hard to remember back to the first, and there's been different levels of wow-ness too.

I remember the first game I played was Grand Prix on the Atari 2600, so I think that one would count just cos it was the first one.

Moving to C64 my first wow was that I could actually copy a game to a blank disk so I'm not sure if that counts or not. I was pretty impressed by Battle Chess though, and loved Caveman Ugh-lympics.

Gameboy and Sega Megadrive didn't offer much in the wow department, maybe Mortal Kombat?

Then I went gameless for years until PS2 brought me back. Wanted a DVD player and it was about the same price so made sense. Played a few games, but then was wowed by Grand Theft Auto 3 as was the first sandbox for me.

Then PS3 came along and I'd say my wow for that one was Fallout 3 - not so much for the graphics and things (although I remember they seemed pretty good) but the immersion playing it late at night with the lights off in an eerie desolate post-apocalyptic wasteland was just fantastic - one of my all-time faves :thumbup:

18. ZXR

ZXR Member

The first one that really blew me away was Dragons Lair. Absolutely horrid gameplay, but it was a dead set cartoon that you could control!!

Other notable mentions:
    - PC - Grand Prix Legends (the physics for the time were so good and it was the first game I ever played online against real people)
    - C64 - Lode Runner (it was more because it was on a cartridge - "WHAT! The game loads instantly!?!")
    - C64 - Prince of Persia (such smooth animations)
    - C64 - Racing Destruction Set (because it was the first game I could create stuff with)
    - Amiga - Indy 500 - (because '3D!')
    - PC - Counterstrike pre 1.6 (because it was the first game I played a lot of online)
    - Arcade - Double Dragon (because baseball bats!)

The list could keep going on and on. So many games affected me for so many different reasons.

-ZXR

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

In terms of shear addiction it was Golden Axe that really got me. Wow.

20. drgtr

drgtr Member

I would say any game in the 80s that had "Parallax Scrolling"
    It looked so life like and 3d to me as a kid.

I would say "wow"