The Food Smokers thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by hsvguy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Nice!! Can I ask - what did that set you back?

2. Ripley

Ripley Member

3. stevenx

stevenx Member

I scored a freebie Char Griller Akorn, which I've paired with a PitmasterIQ. It's a good combination and with the right charcoal (the stuff from Gaganis here in Adelaide works really well) I can easily maintain 225F for 18 hours or so, without any significant fluctuation. Would I pay $499 for it? Probably. I don't use my Weber kettle anymore.

The main downside of the Akorn is the size - the diameter of the grill area isn't very big, so a couple of pork rib racks max it out.

4. sjp770

sjp770 Member

$2899, delivered to my door. Got to customize a few things, like this gas burner I DIY'd into it. He cut a hole to let me fit it, but I supplied the gear so he didn't have to certify a gas appliance:

Click to view full size!

Just throw a bit of paper thats alight ontop, turn on the gas and let it go for 5 mins tops with the lid open to kick start the coals quicker and cleaner than firelighters.

Click to view full size!

Moved the temp port to the other side, added the door over the fire (he usually only did the side door) Also added 3x baffle plates I can shift around inside.

Also got a grill plate over the fire. Note its not left in for a hot fire, but placed in over coals for grilling only.

Click to view full size!

From the side door:

Click to view full size!

Some cooking results so far:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Haven't had a chance to smoke in it yet. need to get the right meat and have a whole day with it.

5. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Man what an awesome looking setup. When I have my own house one day I hope to have an established setup to be able to enjoy :)

Getting ready to season my Aldi smoker soon in prep for trying my first smoke.

Picked up a dual probe ET-733 thermometer (thanks to the recommendations off here) and some things to get started, going to keep it simple maybe go for aldi ribs etc to start.

Cant wait!

6. mmBax

mmBax Member

Fired up some chicken wings on the weekend.

I cheat and use a McCormicks Grill Mates Dry Marinade. It's addictive, really like it and it's cheap.

Smoke for 2 hours or so and then toss through some sauce. This week I got my hands on some of the 'Hot Ones' Fiery Chipotle sauce from the youtube channel. Pretty tasty, not particularly hot but still nice. Oddly enough the primary ingredient is pineapple, and after Chipotles and Habaneros it's Carrot. Small amount of Ghost chilli in it as well but not much. Really keen to get 'The Last Dab' to try.

7. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

The mob I bought from (presumably the same one you did, as well). Just bumped their price up to a more normal $119.95. So looks like we got it just in time.
    Gonna season my smoker this weekend, hopefully.

8. QuakeDude

Well, finally got myself (well, Chrissy present) a proper smoker, so I'm upgrading from the "user your weber kettle as a smoker" to a Fornetto Razzo bullet smoker. Actually having something with a temperature gauge so I'm not just guessing and praying is something I'm looking forward to, although after a first attempt at a pulled pork, its clear I need to learn the differences in using a bullet smoker :Paranoid:

9. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Had too many beers to remember to take a pic when I sliced everything up, so the cooked pic is from the next day after being refrigerated.

UDS with heat beads using the 3-2-1 method. I put the pork ribs in about 1-1.5hr after the beef as they tend to dry out.

Meathead memphis dust on both, and then brush the pork ribs with sugar ray hickory and brown sugar (will be making my own bbq sauce in the near future) for the last hour to keep them moist

cheers

mM

[​IMG]

10. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

drooling bro

11. QuakeDude

Question for everyone here - heat beads or the Hot shots they sell at bunnings? Went to pick up one of the 10kg boxes of heat beads, but bunnings were out - they only had the hot shot ones. Did a quick google on the phone and a few reviews weren't exactly glowing (something about making the food taste shit).

12. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

My UDS build on the cheap and being very time poor at present.

I wanted to make a UDS and go all out, but with a newborn and summer approaching, I improvised.

What I required:
    The drum was a one use metho drum $20
    Weber lid - $0 - free off council clean up
    Weber grills - $0 - free off council clean up
    Coal basket, catch pan, water pan (not pictured) - $30 from a used catering equipment place
    Misc hardware - $0 - stuff I had lying about.
    high temp enamel paint - $35 at bunnings

Tools
    Battery Drill
    Angle Grinder with wire wheel/grinding wheel
    Jigsaw with metal blade
    Sheet metal punch (step drill would work too)
    Regular had tools, spanner/socket, measuring tape, center punch, hammer etc.....

Drum Construction

Fill drum with water to clear metho vapour (drum not lined or painted inside)
    Cut out lid with jigsaw, tidy up with angle grinder
    Clean exterior paint with angle grinder and wire wheel
    Mark out and drill all holes, tray spacing is 75mm, if I do it again I would start 25mm from the top and do 100mm spacing, Using M10x25mm SS bolts/set screws allows easy inserting and removal of cooking trays with plenty of support still.
    I had to slightly flair the weber lid lip about 2mm all around to fit perfectly over the drum, I just used combo pliers with some tape around the jaws to protect the enamel, I also added a second air vent as I have few weber lids about the place.

Coals Basket
    Use 6 x M10x100mm SS to make legs for the basket through existing holes
    Use sheet metal punch to make the existing 10mm holes in the basket 25mm
    Use 2.5mm solid core building wire to attach basket to catch tray

Took 1 day to make, and 3 days to paint!!!!

Season the drum, and bake the paint, and it was ready for cooking.

I use a heatermeter for temp control, hence why only 1 vent hole at the bottom, disregard the second hole at this point in time.

mM

[​IMG]

13. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

I have only used heat beads and minimal fire starters to get ignite them. I would steer clear of "hot shots" as the internet recommends.

Coles/Woolies/IGA all sell heat beads in my local area, try them if you are desperate to get cooking.

mM

14. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

I'm sure I've used the hotshots and noticed no difference. I don't use firestarters though, just my chimney starter with paper and some kindling.

15. caspian

caspian Member

my local Costco has Pit Barrel Cookers for $399.

16. QuakeDude

Well gave the Fornetto a good go on the weekend - had my first successful cook. Did a 4.2kg Pork Boston Butt (from Costco), 12 hour cook. I had trouble picking this thing up off the grill, it just wanted to fall apart in my hands lol. Cooked it for 6 hours on its own (spraying it every hour), then wrapped it up in foil (with some of the sauce) and cooked it for the last 6 hours, letting it rest for about 40 minutes before pulling.

17. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Bullet smokers vs offsets vs Kamado style, anyone have a preference?

I can pick up a Kamado bunnings knock off cheap, but don't have any experience with this kind of cooker, only used a weber and a gas upright before.

18. QuakeDude

I grew up with a "green egg" style BBQ, which I think is similar to a Kamado. Those suckers hold their heat for quite a long time, which is super impressive. The bullet smoker is good as I've got three separate trays (as well as hooks to hang stuff) and a dedicated massive water pan, so it might have a little more space than a Kamado (although not sure as I don't own one).

19. caspian

caspian Member

my impressions...

offset smoker - excellent for smoking, can't be used for much else. heaps of space. really good access for saucing ribs etc during the cook.
    bullet smoker - the one I used was cheap and nasty, no doubt there are better ones. can both smoke and grill. good capacity due to multiple levels.
    kamado/green egg ceramic lined smoker - expensive, but superb heat retention, can both smoke and grill. probably the lowest capacity, especially considering price (and weight).

I'm looking forward to a kamado when I upsize my garden shed and have somewhere to store it.

20. QuakeDude

Sorry, I'm going to ask a few questions while I get my shit sorted :lol:

I traditionally used to cook with heat beads, but the last cook I did, I used half heat beads and half lump charcoal. To me, the applewood smoke flavour almost seemed to be lost to the flavor that the lump charcoal put in - it was noticeably different, and quite visible watching smoke pouring out when I'd add a few more pieces of the charcoal.

I was considering moving wholly to lump charcoal before this, but now I'm not so sure :Paranoid:

Am I just imagining this or does anyone else go through the same thing?