The Food Smokers thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by hsvguy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Foolio

Foolio Member

Guys im looking for butcher to buy a whole brisket and some baby back ribs in Sydney for smoking.

Any recommendations?

2. town

town Member

Been smoking over a basic charcoal smoker for a few months and am keen to ramp it up with a solid offset smoker.

My problem is though I need a decent supply of oak (or any other decent smoking wood) - does anyone know of a decent supplier that isn't a complete rip off in Sydney?

3. town

town Member

You could try vic's meat - they have a retail shop at the Sydney Fish Markets. I haven't bought brisket but have been buying everything else I've smoked from there. They have a little restaurant that does brisket burgers etc so I'm sure they'd have it in the meat shop as well.

4. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

No photos, but I had family over last night and smoked some whole chickens low and slow.

Didn't bother brining due to cooking them gently, just smothered them in a butter and lemon herb mix, and used pecan wood for the smoke. around 100c for a couple of hours then bumped it up for 30 at the end to get a bit of colour on them.
    They came out absolute aces, moist, perfectly cooked, light to medium nutty smoke, and leftover was awesome on sandwiches today.

5. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Aus Meat Emporium at Alexandria has what you are after, the selection in store is pretty good.

mM

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Picked up the 2 Door Hark Gas Smoker on a whim the other day.
    Seasoning it now.

Seems to sit on a temperature pretty well, just gotta work out what gas and vent settings = what temp.

Will probably test it with a Thanksgiving turkey, and if successful, continue with a christmas turkey.

Edit: Story Time
    Required Meme
    [​IMG]

Soaked some Hickory chips, turned the Gas on high and got her nice and warmed up.

JimCareySmmmmmmoking.jpg
    [​IMG]

After doing a bit of reading, and comparing what meat I had on hand, with what I could put in the Smoker, the "Reverse Sear" come up a winner. Had a bit of porterhouse kicking around the place, Added Salt and Pepper and into the Smoker they went.

Test Subjects
    [​IMG]

After playing with my knob, I adjusted the temperature, but because I don't have a remote meat thermometer, I had to open the door to stick my prong in... this led to the temperature dropping. I fiddled with my knob again but the temp rose to much.
    [​IMG]

Pulled them out of the smoker with an Internal temp of 60C, They've gone pinkish due to the nitrates in the smoke (the book says, that's what gives the 'smoke ring' effect)
    [​IMG]

Fired up the Weber gas grill and let it heat up, then slapped the smoked steaks on it for a quick sear (~30s each side), Served with Chips and a Coopers Sparkling.
    [​IMG]

Some observations.
    Hickory, maybe the wrong choice of wood, or used to much... Smoke flavor overpowered the meat flavor. (Maybe mitigated using thicker cuts, so less smokey meat to non-smokey meat ratio)
    Seasoning - Will use a dry rub next time, and less salt, although this may have been related to the smoke flavor as well.
    Overcooked - Should have pulled them out of the smoker earlier... I'll be investing in a remote meat thermometer so I can watch my meat without opening the door.

Still, the plates were empty at the end of the day, so not a total failure, lots of learning to do, as well as forging a relationship with the local butcher.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  7. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

I built myself a charcoal smoker with 2 large terracotta pots and some odds and ends for about $50. Works really well but is a bit annoying to have to lift off the top pot, then the meat rack, to tend to the fire and water dish during the cook.
    Was at Home hardware yesterday and they had a stand alone smoker for $79 (20% discount that day) similar to the stratco one in hsvguy's picture, although I think it is a bit larger.
    It doesn't have any air flow control at the bottom, nor a vent on the top, so I plan to do some modifications:
    Damper at bottom, chimney at top (with a lid) and sealing in various places.

8. Revenge

Revenge Member

Aldi have their copy of the Hark smoker on special at the moment. $199

9. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Any cold smokers here? (salmon/strout, below 26c, 20+ hours)

Mums old ghetto smoker got pulled out by the gardener and I need to make a new one for xmas. She must have smoked salmon (tradition) for xmas and the store bought stuff wont cut it (she used to smoke salmon commercially). Good thing is we have the old smoke chamber, basically a shallow wooden box. So now to make a firebox and flue. The old one was a small fire pit (with a lid) in the ground that fed a flue running under some soil to a concrete box and the smoke chamber sat on top. Smoke comes from smouldering saw dust. Done it a lot, just never built the smoker.

My old mans first (30+ years ago) was an upside down 6ft locker, not really suited to cold smoking. I have seen home brew to commercial smokers and after something simple as it is only used a few times a year. Also no gas burners are used once the sawdust starts to smoulder.

10. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Anyone got any tips for controlling smoke? No matter what I've tried, I end up dutching out the backyard with white smoke. I've even tried putting soaked chips in a foil pouch with literally a dozen holes poked in the foil and the smoke still pours out.

It's actually putting my off smoking. Only thing I can think of is moving the chips tray higher than it's default position, but then I don't get any smoke.

11. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

why is so much smoke escaping?

12. gbh

gbh Member

FYI BBQ's galore 20% off until Sunday

13. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

anybody use a cold smoke generator like a smoke daddy? Im looking to make one for myself and wanting to get some insight into what works well / doesnt work well on them

14. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

I generate smoke by just chucking a chunk of almond wood on the charcoal, but using a chimney on my smoker directs the smoke up and away. I'm currently just using a piece of 90mm stormwater drain on top of the vent on my smoker. Note that using a chimney increases the air flow, so you might have to adjust the bottom vent to suit.

15. trop

trop Member

Smoked a xmas ham on the weekend, really happy with how it came out and its very tasty and very moist.

Click to view full size!

It was a ~6kg shoulder which my butcher pickled overnight while he was doing his shoulders for the shop and then I smoked it for ~12 hours @ 90c over a mix of red wine oak chips and apricot sticks.

16. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Looks good, how many times did you add wood over the 12 hours?

17. trop

trop Member

Only the initial batch, rest of the cook was just the heat.

At that temp the smoke lasted for about 4 hours and that has given it a nice light smokey flavor with a great aftertaste.

This is the first time I have made ham so I didn't want to overdo it but I think it could have handled getting another 1/2 batch of wood and still not being overly smokey.

I brought the chunk I have cut off in the photo into work today and everyone had a try at smoko. I've got orders to do 3 complete shoulders for the guys at work now before xmas and my mum wants me to do one for xmas day so it must be alright ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  18. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

So I have my new smoker ready to mod, and checking out the internet I see it is a very near copy of the brinkman gourmet smoker, which is the subject of the most commonly linked (but dead) mod website at http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm - the wayback machine found it for me, very useful starting point.

I'm planning on the following mods:

1. Raised grill for the charcoal in the fire dish*
    2. Lots of sealing at the joints and door (probably mostly using silicone)*
    3. Insulation of the whole smoker - I picked up some 25 mm glasswool blanket with Aluminium on one side and some aluminium tape for a few bucks from an insulation company.
    4. Adding a vent with chimney (closeable - either a cap or a butterfly) on the top.
    5. Adjustable air flow at the bottom, either a cover for the existing hole or closing it and creating a new vent.

* as per mods website

starting point:

Click to view full size!

19. mmBax

mmBax Member

A mate at work is actually making some at the moment.

He’s been waiting on some supplies to turn up before finishing off the last few welds or whatever he was doing.

Apparently he’s giving me one, not entirely sure why, but I won’t say no. Apparently the design he’s going for allows for really long smokes. I’m a bit put off by really long cold smokes so I’d like to hear some more info about that.

If you wanted something smaller, something similar to the smoking guns. Apparently you can make them quite easily with some flexible tubing, a cone piece (for lack of better words) and a small laptop vacuum cleaner (which is only 15 bucks or so on ebay)

20. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

For cold smoking I have used sawdust, so it just smoulders and have a spray gun handy in case it flares up. I will get some pics of the ghetto smoker at my mums place over the weekend.

Long cold smaokes are common when doing fish, 20+ hours for salmon but I tend to over smoke compared to commercial products. I just wait for the oil to rise quite a bit.