The Food Smokers thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by hsvguy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Anyone have thoughts on the Dragon Kamado? From what I can tell its pretty much the Akorn unit from bunnings.

https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/pro-smoke-dragon-kamado

Looking to up the game a fair bit from my tiny lodge grill, maybe doing around 60%/40% grilling/smoking. Other unit I was looking at was the Smokey Mountain but it seems like it might be a PITA to clean if I grill in it regularly.

2. Hater

Hater Member

Wish me luck lads.

Pork belly in one, beef ribs in the other

8 hours to go... and it’s raining.

fun.

95B35848-ADA0-4924-B352-2C80A2705BAB.jpeg

hsvguy and Stooge007 like this.
  3. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

after being all set to buy the Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker, changed my mind and ordered the Pit Boss 850G

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pit-boss-850g-navigator-pellet-smoker_p0172778

there is apparently 1 in stock locally, when i've been searching around for stock of this or the vertical smoker for a while now

anyway, should be picking up in the next couple of days

it's technically a bday present for November for myself, but i'm sure i'll crank it up before then ;)

4. onggie

onggie Member

Nice buy, you can do bigger cooks on an offset. I probably can only for 6kg brisket max. Either way, pellet smokers are good, Pitboss make a solid product and there PID is half decent at holding temp. Can't wait to see the photos of your first cook on it.

5. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

cheers

what swung me was being able to crank it up to be able to "grill"/have direct flame/heat etc., whereas the vertical smoker is a little more limited (and smaller space)

still have lingering thoughts in the back of my mind that i should have bought a Kamado, but ease of use wins here

i do have small fears that 5 years down the track the auger/pellet delivery system may fail, whereas a Kamado has basically no moving parts so less to go wrong

that's tomorrow guys problem though!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  6. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

Click to view full size!

Long weekend over here in our part of New Zealand. Put some meat (pork and beef ribs) on this smoker thing to feed the guys at work, set it to 120'c, fingers crossed.

Tinian and Stooge007 like this.
  7. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Picked up a Akorn Kamado second hand with a smartfire and a bunch of other goodies yesterday. Really should have mucked around with it figuring out how thing responds before throwing something on but jumped right into it with a pork shoulder early this morning. Targeted a temp of 120C but saw it at 150 on the top end and as low as 105C on the low end with my mucking around. Didn't realise how finicky temp regulation could be, opening the top vent 2-3mm~ resulted in a difference of 25-30C at times. Shoulder came out a bit dry because of it but texture was perfect for pulling. Dropping a water pan in and leaving it to do it's thing next time lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was expecting the smokiness to be strong but it's just whisps of it on the tail end which was perfect. Converted the crew as a bonus, got maybe half a meal leftover, which is unusual.

A heap to learn and can't wait to get more cooks in, already got pizza nights and bbq days in the books.

whatdoesthisdo, elvis and Stooge007 like this.
  8. booboo

booboo Member

thinking about getting a Akorn in the next month or so, any reason why not to?

9. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

No, they're good units. Not sure on your budget, but Bunnings and BBQ's galore have a cheaper version of a Kamado, that I think is superior to the Akorn, and to me is a more premium look. However the Akorn will do just fine!

https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/pro-smoke-kamado
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/char-griller-red-ceramic-kamado-bbq-with-cover_p3180893

they do take a while to come up to temp, given the ceramic make up of them, but once hot they run on the smell of an oily rag (or the charcoal equivalent) and stay hot for hours.

whatdoesthisdo likes this.
  10. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Did some brisket yesterday, nice bark and smoke ring but came out pretty dry. Was bought from woolies so I'm hoping the dryness due to the quality of the meat. I'm a convert on brisket now, I didn't get it before, I'd only had the heavily sauced, overly sweet brisket which I didn't like. All it needs is that salt and pepper rub with a heap of smoke.

I'm a bit mixed on the smartfire paired with the akorn though, the akorn seems to retain heat extremely well and quickly comes back up to temp when the lid is opened, it also feels easy to maintain temps once you've got the feel for it. Looking at the graphs, the fan only really powered on after the lid was opened or when there was dramatic temp changes outside (hectic storms yesterday). The cloud connectivity is nice but with the stability of the akorn it feels like I don't really need it? The app can get pretty annoying too. Might swap it out for a 'dumber' inkbird in future.

11. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

Bought a Smokai to try and cold smoke some bacon and cheese. Now I just need to find something to attach it to. Thinking a retro fridge or wine barrel. I was considering a galvanised tool box because they're pretty cheap, but apparently zinc is bad for food.

12. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Spent a couple of days looking at Kamodos and was ready to drop enough coin a good one, but thought i'd give the old Weber kettle another crack. Turned out a couple of perfect reverse sear steaks using the old couple of bricks method that i also use for low and slow ribs and shoulder. There's really no need to drop $1500+ on a Kamodo if a kettle and 2 old red bricks gives you great results. I got the kettle on ebay many years ago for $50.

hsvguy likes this.
  13. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

it's more difficult to do 12+ hour cooks on a kettle, not impossible just requires more effort

hsvguy likes this.
  14. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Oh yeah, I agree. It's also about knowing your processes.

15. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

[​IMG]

some brisket on the kamado, experiment to see how long it takes to power through the stall period without wrapping it up. It's a tiny piece, 1.5kg but might be lunch tomorrow at this rate.

hsvguy likes this.
  16. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

which fan system you using?

17. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Smartfire pro, not a huge fan with it on the akorn but some of the functionality is cool. Getting alerts and looking at how the temps are sitting out of the house is :thumbup:

18. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Yeah, there's no way I can hold temps like that in the kettle. See? I'm talking myself into it again!

19. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

ended up running for 18 hours or so.

[​IMG]

fat side is beautiful, bottom/lean side is pretty damn dry. I noticed the water in the drip pan evaporated so may need more next time... quality of the meat is probably also a factor. Going to be hitting up the local about a whole brisket at some point in the next two weeks.

Got some bread rolls on hand, going to melt some mild cheese over some brisket w/ kraut and pickles for lunch :tongue:

20. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

you can get fan controllers for kettles