The Food Smokers thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by hsvguy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Hmmm, ta. More to think about. I guess now you mention it I was looking at the Weber Smokey Mountain earlier which is similar in concept to the Dru-B-Q but cheaper.. although the Dru-B-Q is pretty massive so you'd have to compare to the bigger WSM which IS similarly priced. Gah. Stupid decisions. I just want to make delicious brisket.. so hungry..

2. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Having owned a 18" WSM, WSC and plenty of 18" & 22" Weber kettles, the only thing i cook on now is the WSC. A lot of coin to spend but it's something that'll will last the ages. All the advantages of the kamado but without the disadvantages that thermal mass has. Happy to answer any WSC questions.
    In saying that, i've heard drum smokers are hands down the cheapest way to smoke a long time and with rock solid temps. Only trouble is they're only smoker and not much more. Sure you can hang ridiculous amount of ribs, and butts and shoulders, but is that all you want to do? Maybe supplement with a 22" Weber Kettle for the hot and fast cooks?

3. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Getting lost in the TLAs here - what's the WSC?

4. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Sorry, Weber Summit Charcoal. Dual walled porcelain enamelled kamado style smoker. First time in forever Weber redesigned a charcoal smoker!

5. connico

connico Member

If you just want to dip your toe in with a no regret purchase. Get on to facebook marketplace or gumtree and just look for a weber kettle and try... if you can master the kettle, everything becomes easy from there.

You can resell it and buy something else. Otherwise just use it as a bbq grill for weekends if you find that smoking isnt to your taste lol

Deftone2k likes this.
  6. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

If you can get a cheap WSM you'll be laughing. The temp control on those babies is great. Kettles even with the snake method is hit and miss, great to start with but you really need to be there to monitor temps and do minor adjustments. If you want full ease of use then pellet smokers is the way to go.

7. connico

connico Member

Whats cheap for a WSC? I've never seen them under $1599? And that was for the smallest version i think

8. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

WSC? No such thing as chaep WSC lol, second hand maybe $1200-$1500 for the stand alone one. I actually wrote WSM, cheap WSM 18" would be $400-$500, a hundred more for the 22"

9. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

got some short ribs on the akorn today, maybe about halfway through at the moment

[​IMG]

Having a much harder time controlling temps lately, noticing a fair bit more leaking too. Probably time for a bit of maintenance.

hsvguy and connico like this.
  10. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Looks great, what rub did you use? Or just SPG?

11. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

"Just" he says :D

Squatting_Tiger likes this.
  12. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

yep salt pepper garlic, nothing special. They came out fantastic btw

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kenny34 likes this.
  13. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Agg as hsvguy said, $900 for a drum smoker is a joke.

I bought a drum for $30 which was used for methylated spirits - so basically sterile and no lining like food grade drums, maybe $50 for parts, a Weber lid off council clean up and the rack too if you can get it. I use a heater meter kit (I won a Xmas giveaway here one year), but I already had that from my early days using a Weber kettle (which also gave excellent results).

Start cheap and stay cheap. If the drum rusts out get a new drum.

mmBax and hsvguy like this.
  14. mmBax

mmBax Member

Same boat here, I'm romanticizing with the idea of getting an offset. But I'm lazy, and as it is now I've pretty much got the drum dialled in for long cooks. I'd love to try a side by side comparison of an offset vs a drum vs a pellet and see how much the smoke changes.
    I'm about 150 in on the UDS build and I did not feel the slightest bit guilty when I drilled into it to add a rotisserie mount. As methodman says, all the hardware is transferable, if it rusts through I'll swap it out. As it is now though I'm going on 3-4 years, recently just got it hot and hit the outside with spray oil and it looks fine still.

Back onto food. Had people over and wanted to do my normal taco setup. Didn't want pork though, so I got myself a lump of chuck. I should have grabbed brisket as a local place had them for 12.99/kg. But I went and got chuck and ended up paying 18/kg. But damn it was good.

Prior to wrapping in paper. Was around 75 internal here. I used Kewpie as a binder this time as its all I had. Salt + Pepper plus a little mix of this double garlic butter rub. https://thebbqguy.com.au/boars-night-out-double-garlic-butter-rub/
    [​IMG]

Pulled after 93 degrees when the probe was gliding through, left it to rest for a few hours and pulled.
    [​IMG]

Leftovers in a pie which was just a mash up of random crap.
    Onion, Celery, Carrot base.
    Mushrooms- Dried Porcinis that I blend into a powder
    Tomato paste.
    Chicken Stock, Woooochshchster sauce.
    Thickened it with cornflour. Let it cool, slapped it in a pie with chunks of Brie on top.

[​IMG]

15. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

A bit belated on sharing but after lots of reading I finally gave the elusive beef brisket a crack on my bday last year (Dec 30).

Grabbed a 1.7kg brisket from AME
    Memphis Rub and BBQ Sauce overnight (Was just a simple rub I found at AME and Baby Rays)
    2 hours of smoke on the rack (until 165F internal) (Used a mix of pecan + hickory chips)
    4 hours in the smoker wrapped (until 195F internal)
    2 hours wrapped in the esky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    **Fancy jerry rig to fix the broken spring/pressure that keeps the flame on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was definitely a great learning experience. I had heard about the meat stalls etc but this really moved along in temps (probably due to size/thickness) and was a bit worried it had gotten up to temp too quickly. Probably was closer to 2.5 hours wrapped in the esky. All in all though it was delicious and melted in the mouth. Nice amount of smoke and flavour and impressed those who could attend.

We also did a tonne of friend chicken tenderloins and my partner made me a Guinness cake which was delightful.

Added bonus was I took up homebrewing mid last year and had my first keg of beer ready for the same day. Did a Sierra Nevada style West Coast Pale Ale with Riwaka Hops. Turned out a treat (and was promptly demolished).

Still been brewing but havent had the smoker rolling since (due to work). Hoping to dive in again with a bigger brisket next month.

First photo is first pour from the keg a few days before the BBQ. Second is on the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have to say it was so very satisfying being able to share the experience of sharing some great food and beer with others after all the hard work that went into them.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    FuzwaldQO, mmBax, Stooge007 and 4 others like this.
  16. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Anyone have any favourite ways they prep their brisket before hitting the smoker?

I think I might go another brisket this Friday but was thinking of maybe seasoning it a bit different this time. Or just go again (not that I didnt like it...)

17. mmBax

mmBax Member

Just plain salt and pepper for me. or Salt/Pepper/Garlic.

It's really a standout for me, I've always done different rubs with Paprika and other seasonings, but I'm loving just plain salt and pepper

Deftone2k likes this.
  18. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Like Agg, I haven't dipped my toe into the smokey waters as yet. I have a 6 burner bbq so I'm not in any great hurry to buy a $2000 smoker as well lol. But I've been toying with the idea of getting something cheap but easy to use. Saw a WSM 37cm on FB market place for $200 which would be nice to try things out on, but it's at the other end of the state and ideally I'd like a larger one. I'll keep my eye out for something closer.

In the meantime I do roasts on my BBQ, have a rotisserie which I use pretty regular. Am thinking of grabbing a more accurate temp gauge than the one built into the hood, so I was interested in seeing the answers to mmBax's question...
    That Inkbird certainly looks decent. I don't know if you have bought something by now, I'd assume so. But in looking at that bluetooth model, I noticed that they also have pretty much the same thing in a WIFI model. You can get the InkBird IBBQ-4T from Amazon for $139.99. Think I'll grab one and use it on the BBQ, then I can move it to a smoker when I get one.

19. mmBax

mmBax Member

Unfortunately it's a 6-12 month application and approval process for my finances haha! I'm a long way off. I've noticed there's another combustion.inc that looks decent as well. It looks like it's in initial funding though so who knows what it actually has or a price. https://combustion.inc/

The inkbird looks the goods, I might hit the button soon on it.

Have you looked at just adding some smoke to the rotisserie cooks? With a smoke tube and some pellets?

20. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

I know people say injecting is just for competition smokers, but I've done a tonne of brisket now and I just consistently get much better results if I inject - I use Meat Church Holy Cow brisket injection.
    I rub with Jess Pryles Hardcore Carnivore Black
    I always take the point off the flat and smoke them separately, then turn the point into burnt ends :)

Deftone2k likes this.