The Food Smokers thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by hsvguy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. max

max Member

Na not that thin membrane like pork ribs, beef ribs have a heap of cartilage. You can see here how he trims it away:

2. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

I've only done a dozen or so cooks, but this is the first time I have encountered it to this extent

I've never trimmed it for beef ribs, I leave it on too for pork ribs and remove after - once again I've only done a dozen or so cooks.

Picture what he is cutting away and X5.

I wonder if it varies between regular beef ribs and Angus beef ribs and other varieties of beef.

The beef ribs are my first cook in long time, these cuts use to be dirt cheap, like $10-$12Kg, now they are more than premium cuts. Last couple of years I have just been buying good quality steaks, way less prep and cook time and more consistent results.

Nothing else to do in lockdown, and I had 2 weekends off work in a row (I am essential worker, so I still leave the house) so I dragged the smoker out for something different - cost a small fortune in meat!!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  3. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

the membrane diffrers from rack to rack, i always take it off for both beef and pork ribs before cooking, (rub cant get passed it) best to just remove it before hand and asses whats under it i've seen people even clean the silver skin off from inbetween the ribs as well, was the 3-2-1 long enough for them? what did they proble like at the end mine normaly take 8-10hrs +resting time if i'm smoking at 107c(225f yanky smoker)

4. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

84c at 120c perfectly stable using the Heater meter. I don’t worry about internal temp when doing 3-2-1 method other than it’s safe to eat.

Marinated pork ribs this morning, will put them on 9-10am tomorrow morning.

5. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

My contribution. Did some porky belly on the weekend.

Brined them overnight in apple juice, rosemary and some garlic gloves. Use cherry splits for smoking. Would have preferred apple but we have cherry galore since we cut down a bunch of them around our place. Pretty simple seasoning, salt + oil on the skin and light coating of black pepper and oil on the rest. Water bath as apple juice.

Aimed for 250 for the first hour and then dropped it back to about 150ish for the next two hours. I need clips for the thermometer as it wasn't sitting properly and poking into the meat which was giving confusing temperature readings.

IMG_20210724_170102_DRO.jpg

Skin didn't turn out as intended but that was probably the only down side. Needs to be much hotter or I'll try a different approach to get it to crackling.

Other than that it came out a treat. Super juicy with a lovely light smokiness flavour, with the apple juice adding a nice acidic note to it that contrasted well I think with the fat.

IMG_20210724_174810_DRO.jpg

Served it up with some mashed kumara and bacon fat fried onions and brussel sprouts. Not pictured were the two other ends that I ate prior to moving everything to the tray.

IMG_20210724_175712_DRO.jpg

Stooge007 and Mr B like this.
  6. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Work IT decided google photos was a security risk so I am posting over a week later off my home PC.

Full Plate Pork Ribs - Meathead Memphis Dust Rub - 24hr marinate - I removed the membrane after cooking, 3-2-1 method @ 120C

After 3hrs
    [​IMG]

After 6hrs, 1hr with Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory & Brown Sugar Bbq Sauce
    [​IMG]

The misses insta photo of dinner
    [​IMG]

Was working day shift last weekend so only had 3hrs MAX to do a cook - boneless pork leg from WW, rinsed and pat dry day, scored the skin, apply salt and rub in, place in fridge over night no cover on any part. Next day before cooking, remove excess salt (dust it off with your hand or kitchen towel), light coating of oil and rub it in.

Weber kettle, using the side baskets and heat beads. MAX temp bottom and top vents wide open. Cooked to internal temp of 70C - took 2hrs 20min cook time (3hrs total by the time you get everything ready). Might go a bit less next time as it was heading towards dry town. Perfect crackling though.

[​IMG]

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  7. Mr B

Mr B Member

Both look awesome, great job. Fantastic looking crackling too

8. alch

alch Member

Doom doom doooom doooooooooom
    1.5kg pork shoulder, heinz mustard covering it originally... dash of cayenne pepper, big dash of smoked paprika, onion flakes, salt, pepper and covered in apple cider vinegar
    damn hungee already

signal-2021-08-22-084006.jpeg signal-2021-08-22-102238_001.jpeg signal-2021-08-22-102238_002.jpeg

edit; omg fight me.
    Added apple sauce to marinade and spooned it over... and then later a bit of apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, sugar, pepper.. stirred in then drizziled over...

gotta get em M O I S T
    signal-2021-08-22-144738_003.jpeg
    signal-2021-08-22-144738_001.jpeg signal-2021-08-22-144738_002.jpeg

(later on... wash lettuce, dice tomato and onion and itll end up in a wrap eventually!... i cant believe its only 252pm. im so impatient)

edit 2?3? who knows.
    omfg some fell off while plating it and wrapping it to rest.

oh wait I dont have a pic yet
    oh wait yeah I do before I wrapped and pulled it off the grate

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    FuzwaldQO likes this.
  9. alch

alch Member

Aww only 10 images of nom per post :(

signal-2021-08-22-162311.jpeg signal-2021-08-22-171720.jpeg
    signal-2021-08-22-191323_001.jpeg signal-2021-08-22-191323_002.jpeg
    signal-2021-08-22-191323_003.jpeg signal-2021-08-22-191529.jpeg

(Yes, I forgot cheese, Yes. Yes Yes YES I KNOW.)

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  10. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

You forgot to answer the most important question... How did it taste?

11. alch

alch Member

fuqn good. but shouldnt have balsamic'd the onions, oh well! plenty left over for wraps today

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  12. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

how long did you cook for, and at what temp?

do you know what internal temp was when you removed from the grill?

13. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

A brisket flat 2.1Kg on the weber kettle 10hr cook @ 120º, internal temp was 89º probably could have cooked a bit longer according to this guys youtube channel - his videos are pretty good, straight to the point and no fluffing about.

Was dry, but it did tear apart with ease.

Will try the point next time or get a better quality cut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  14. alch

alch Member

~6-7hrs @ ~210 and nup

ed; mmm leftovers.
    heated in frypan with balsamic onions and damn.. tasted good. bit o mustard, bit o 'ketchup'
    signal-2021-08-23-125016_001.jpeg

signal-2021-08-23-125016_002.jpeg signal-2021-08-23-125016_003.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    Stooge007 likes this.
  15. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Cape Grim Beef Ribs, they were $17.99Kg the other week at AME - BARGAIN!!!!

Memphis Meathead Rub - I'm all out now, so I'll be looking to try something new

Kingsford Charcoal - First time using it for a smoke, it burns slightly hotter than heat beads at around 130° (weber kettle, bottom vent closed, top wide open). Burning hotter also means it burns quicker, the brickettes are the approx the same size as heat beads, but they also have more surface area as they are embossed with a "K". They also don't feel as heavy or dense as a heatbead. I used approximately a dozen more kingsford than heatbeads for a similar cook.

Used the 3-2-1 method, but the final 1hr I left them uncovered but wrapped as pictured and cooked to final temp of 93°. Probably took an extra 45min to cook to temp.

When I wrapped them at the 3hr mark I added a squirt of the kids apple juice from a popper!!!

I also didn't add any wood to create smoke.... I forgot.

Hitting the grill
    [​IMG]

@ 92°
    [​IMG]

Sliced
    [​IMG]

Deftone2k, Mr B, Stooge007 and 2 others like this.
  16. alch

alch Member

beef blade, soaked over night in noms.

bit of smokey bacon bbq sauce, bit of balsamic, bit of worchester, bit of cayenne, lot of smoked paprika, bit of garlic, bit of salt n pepper, bit of onion flakes.. Mmm gonna be sticky tasty noms in a few hours
    upload_2021-9-26_8-10-28.png
    upload_2021-9-26_8-10-49.png

MmmmmmMM!!!!!!
    upload_2021-9-26_9-26-37.png

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  17. Mr B

Mr B Member

Looking good alch. We did pizza on the Akorn last night, might do some chicken drummies tonight. Mmmm bbq…

18. alch

alch Member

Hmm wasnt too impressed, chucked the rest back in wrapped in foil.. probably soup it... Will do another pork shoulder next week me thinks, those wraps were epic.

Untitled.jpg

19. Mr B

Mr B Member

Did better than me mate, prepped a tandoori marinade (jar and yoghurt, so admittedly not much effort), pulled the drummies I bought yesterday out, and a bit stinky so no go!

Ahh well. Leftover pizza and other stuff it is.

alch likes this.
  20. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

From what I read, and I'm no expert, there not enough "fats" in blade to break down and keep the meat moist and flavorsome.

The majority of cuts of beef used for smoking are generally brisket, ribs and chuck.

Anyways keep "experimenting" and enjoy.

cheers

mM