The Food Smokers thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by hsvguy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

smoke generators work on venturi effect however as you will soon find wood and chips generate tar from the lingum in the wood.
    Finding a design that caters for tar buildup while still having the correct airflow is the key.
    Good luck

2. mmBax

mmBax Member

Hosted what I called meatmania on Saturday, just a small get together for some friends.

I ended up doing a 4.5kg pork shoulder 4kg of pork sausages and 4kg of wings.
    Mrs did a potato salad with bacon and egg, we had a ranch coleslaw and a normal green salad. Oh and I threw in some pickles and did a few cobs of corn up.

Pork was rubbed with Secret Weapon rub, which is one of my favourites, tried injecting it as well with apple sauce, sugar, salt and worcestishire but I think that was a waste of time.

Pork snags were smoked but I wasn’t amazed with how they turned out, natural casings would have been better, and although they still took on a bit of smoke, it was a really light tan instead of a dark brown with wrinkly blistered skin and soft fatty interior.

Chicken wings were the usual whisky wing sauce, which is on epicurious and is my go to recipe for wings now.

Awesome day, so much effort though, will be looking to do it again next year, perhaps with some more treats.

Oh and a friend ended up bringing a sweet potato pie which was delicious.

[​IMG]

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Those with a Hark or Aldi smoker 2 Door Gas Smoker

How hot can you get it?

I did some Ribs over the weekend, and after the smoking was all done, I went to crank up the temp to caramelise the sauce I'd just basted, but It struggled to get to 150c.

I'm not sure if this was due to the amount of meat in it, (previously I'd done 3 steaks... and the temperature had gone much higher... this time it was 3 racks of ribs).

I ended up having to finish the ribs off on the Weber.

4. trop

trop Member

I generally find 150-160 is the max at the end of the cook. When you've got the woodchip box full and going full smoke at the start you can get 180-200 if you want to.

Has anyone had any experience smoking whole duck? I'v got a nice sized one to do for xmas day and looking for some pointers.

5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

That might have been the difference actually, I over-smoked the steaks, and I guess the extra heat produced from the woodchip box was helping push the temps higher... so for the Ribs, I aimed to not over-smoke... which meant no extra heat from it.

6. trop

trop Member

I find with steak (I normally use 3-4cm thick rib eyes) that ~30 mins of full smoke is enough, after that I pull the chip box out.

With ribs I normally fill the box and just let it run for as long as possible. About 3 1/2 hours at 110 is where my family likes them.

7. trop

trop Member

Tonights dinner - Bone in rib eyes. No rub, just salt & pepper.

2hrs in the smoker @ 90c over apricot wood.
    [​IMG]

Then seared off. (BBQ is still at my inlaws from xmas so had to use a pan :p )
    [​IMG]

Then nom nom nom
    [​IMG]

Did these ribs the other day as well. Kosmos Killerbee rub and smoked for 3 hours unwrapped over red wine oak chips. Sauce was equal parts Sweet baby rays bbq, coke and home made apricot jam, was a bit sweet for me but the kids destroyed them!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Foolio

Foolio Member

Looks killer mate! Are they dry aged rib eye?

9. trop

trop Member

No they were just regular. The butcher I use only does dry aging for special orders and the only butcher near me who does dry aging regularly has pretty ordinary meat!

10. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

11. caspian

caspian Member

just finished a 4kg brisket in my Bradley.

cut into 2x 2kg pieces for handling, on 2 racks. trimmed some of the cap fat off the end and rubbed well with Butt Rub. I was going to inject with some apple juice but family shit got in the way this morning.

on about 10:30am with 5 hours of mesquite chips loaded and some newly acquired bubba pucks following to clear the smoke generator.

started spraying down with a spray bottle loaded with flat apple and pear cider about 2 hours in, I had an alfoil tray in the bottom shelf so no worries about mess.

pulled it out about 6:45pm and currently sitting alfoiled and resting while some mashed spuds cook, going to have German style with fine diced onions in the potato, sauerkraut and mustard on the side.

sorry no pics as all-black meat does not look particularly interesting, but test nibbles off the end are pretty damn good.

12. trop

trop Member

13. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

Hell you guys have my hooded bbq with stainless woodchip box thoroughly beat! So envious!

I was thinking of making a fold down smoker out of a big old olive oil container though. I'd have to make it flat pack, and then fuel it with sawdust and a metho burner. It could be awesome for smoking fish while camping.

14. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

Maybe i start a new thread with a build log?

15. trop

trop Member

Sounds good, will be a good one to watch from the looks of it.

16. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Anyone using a proq frontier elite and have any comments on it?

Pondering buying one later in the year, seems like it'll suit my budget/needs

17. mmBax

mmBax Member

Anyone here with a UDS that can give me some tips about using cuts of wood instead of heat beads?

As far as I knew it wasn't possible, it wouldn't burn clean and I'd end up with trashed meat. I was looking at a local smoker businesses page and they had a post from before they built their gigantic offset that they use now, and they had a pic of an ugly drum smoker and a pile of ironbark next to it.

I can get ironbark for quite cheap. I normally use heatbeads and hickory but I'm going to start doing more beef and less pork, so I'd like to change up the smoke.

18. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

Mmbax you are correct. In a uds you need to run on charcoal or heatbeads. You can put some chunks of wood on a uds but cant run on it due to the higher oxygen needs of ironbark ect.

19. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Could always make your own charcoal :)

20. mmBax

mmBax Member

Never actually thought about making charcoal with it. I may just get a few logs and use it in small chunks for flavouring wood on top of heatbeads.

Making charcoal is just a matter of getting a raging hot fire going and then putting a lid on it and letting it smolder itself out?

I love the UDS, I just hate spending exorbitant amounts of cash on heatbeads and wood chunks.