The Food Smokers thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by hsvguy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

You can do that, but it isn't that efficient. You have to "burn" the wood in a way that lets all the volatiles + gases escape but doesn't let oxygen in. Put the wood in a fireproof container with a vent, stick that on a fire and wait.

2. mmBax

mmBax Member

Well after having some tasty beef ribs from a BBQ stall at a local market I decided I needed to give them a whirl, as I'd never smoked beef ribs, only wings. Pork shoulders and pork ribs.

The butcher hooked me up with his recommendation of chuck end beef shortys. He says they will have way less fat.

I trimmed most fat off the top and took off a heap of silver skin and then removed the paper from the back.

Quick coat of sriracha so my rub stuck. It's a local guys rub Which is mainly paprika and black pepper. Salt and coriander seeds.

I ended up doing 4 hrs unwrapped.
    2 hours wrapped.
    45 minutes unwrapped to tighten up again.
    Guests were arriving at the time so probably only 45 minutes rest.

Smoked over mesquite chunks.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/jtTLS

3. danyell

danyell Member

@mmbax

They look divine mate. Fair amount of effort seems to have paid off. How did they go down, nice and tender? Tasty and moist?

After piling on the praise I'm sorry to ask, but Masterfoods Spicy BBQ sauce seems like a poor addition to them given your effort and care towards the outcome? I wonder if you could whip up a homemade BBQ sauce next time out to really make the ribs sing and zing?

4. mmBax

mmBax Member

Haha yeah the spicy BBQ was for the Mrs. I was quite happy eating them sauceless.

Very tender. Bone came out with a bit of a cut and a twist. Very moist and not fatty at all.

The rub was pretty great. Essentially just a good salt and pepper rub but the paprika and coriander really beefed it up.

5. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Picked up some goodies at Australian Meat Emporium today, will do the brisket ($15.99/kg) this Sunday most likely, dunno when I will do the beef ($16.99/kg) and pork ribs though.

You can't really see it in the photos, but the beef ribs have minimal fat cap on them, its more membrane/transparent, more meaty goodness!!!! They had cape byron beef ribs for $20.99/kg.

The pork ribs are labelled as "pork loin ribs" $19.99/kg, just look at the thickness of them!!!!

will post pics of the cook.

mM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  6. MB403

MB403 Member

Costco loin back ribs are very consistent for lots of meat. pretty much refuse to buy any other from anywhere now. grab half doz and put in freezer until required (defrost in the fridge over a day and half). Very good price too here in QLD compared to what you get from a butcher with lack of meat.(USA style cut ribs)

mmbax: Re wood for your uds. when i crank out the uds i use gidgee charcoal. only ever use heat beads in the weber now.

when using my gas hark knockoff smoking cabinet i use soaked apple woodchips (a hour or 2) with a handful of charcoal in the smoking pan.

7. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Brisket is cooking away, no progress pics as I took my phone for a swim yesterday and now it don't want to turn on.

Progress shot from my pit controller, it had stalled on 65 degrees for hours, I wrapped the brisket and bumped the pit up 10 degrees to 130 and it started climbing again slowly.

2 hours left till I have to take it off the heat, wrap it in a blanket and half hour to the folks place for dinner. Will slice it up there. I'll get some pics.

I used meat heads memphis dust on it and its my first brisket cook too.

mM

[​IMG]

8. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

BBQ Mafia were doing a comp practice cook and I was able to order a 2kg signature smoked pork butt.

[​IMG]

Well wrapped

[​IMG]

The aroma in the kitchen had the dog and cat under my feet!

[​IMG]

Amazeballs

[​IMG]

Tastes amazing, very long aftertaste, tender, melts but still has texture. Impressed.

[​IMG]

9. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

The brisket tasted great, still moist and not dried out - probably a good thing it was wrapped for the last 2hrs.

Took it off at 80C and rested it wrapped in a towel for a good hour.

Turns out there is no fat veins running through this cut of brisket, so while tasting awesome it was a bit a chewy.

Would cooking it longer change anything?
    Unwrapped for the whole cook?
    Did I even have a brisket to start with?

mM

[​IMG]

10. mmBax

mmBax Member

Take this with a grain of salt, I haven’t gotten around to smoking a brisket yet.
    But it looks like you got the flat end, the lean end. And it looks ridiculously lean, 80 degrees definitely wouldn’t be enough normally, I think it’s 93 degrees Celsius, something like 200-225 F. Being so lean looking it’s hard for me to say that extra cooking would have made it more tender, but that’s exactly what I’m leaning towards.

Just have to cut it paper thin to get your tenderness.

I’m sure I may have asked before, or it’s been mentioned in here somewhere, but what are you using for your controller? I’m looking into one for my UDS, so I can sleep through the night.

11. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Dunno where I pulled 80C from, but I went with it, I did some more research and it would appear I need to get it up between 90-95C.

It definitely was a lean cut that's for sure, it was approx 2kg before I trimmed it up.

Will be trying a brisket again for sure.

My pit controller is the heater meater v4.2

Heater Meater Home
    Heater Meater Forums

mM

12. mmBax

mmBax Member

I had a feeling it was the heater meter. I'll send you a PM I've got a few questions.

I'd definitely give it another go, when I first start doing pork shoulders I pulled a couple of them early (because of impatient guests) and they were tough as buggery on both occasions.

13. MB403

MB403 Member

finger test, if it folds over your finger its good to go. when i do brisket usually take between 10-13 hrs. almost falls apart when im trying to pick it up. IMO the bigger the better. what you dont eat vac seal and into the freezer to eat for lunch another day.

if it chewy like steak then not cooked long enough or the cut was too small and its dried out. your looks moist, maybe not cooked long enough. bigger cuts are very forgiving when you first try brisket. only down side is cost, lets face it no one wants to bugger up a $130 of meat. bigger the brisket harder to screw it up IMO.

i will ad;

ive left my brisket to rest, wrapped up in foil and towels in the esky for 3 1/2hrs before. at the very least mine rest for no shorter than 1 3/4 hours. just me though. always better to rest for longer than having to rush a cook for guests. (never works lol) even when it rest for the 3hr one i still couldn't touch it by hand it was that hot. plus the smell when you unwrap in the company of guests is always a crowd pleasing moment.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  14. mmBax

mmBax Member

Yeah that's it. That's almost my number 1 advice for people new to BBQ.
    A combined point, don't rush things; and finish early and rest it.

The only thing I don't like about resting meat, is when people come over for a bbq some of the theatrics are gone, so I normally keep the smoker going and do some wings or something easy, so when they turn up there's still smoke wafting through the air.

15. gbh

gbh Member

Can anyone recommend a good resource for a beginner? (Youtube or site?)?

Ideally looking for info on meats to start with, temps, times and methods etc?

16. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

youtube is the easiest place to start.

Probably decide on what type of cooker you want to use - weber kettle, bullet smoker (WSM), offset, UDS, Hark

type of fuel - charcoal, heat beads, wood, gas, pellet

then search youtube for "weber kettle heat beads smoking"

for inspiration BBQ with Franklin

also aussiepitmasters.com.au has lots of friendly folk.

cheers

mM

17. gbh

gbh Member

awesome, thank you

18. gbh

gbh Member

First experiment with wings, turned out awesome.
    Ribs are on the go right now.

[​IMG]

19. gbh

gbh Member

and Ribs tonight

[​IMG]

20. Foolio

Foolio Member

Recipe please!

Good treat for the dog as well!