The future energy grid is not the grid.

Discussion in 'Science' started by Reaper, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Reaper

Reaper Member

2. Recharge

Recharge Member

very impressive viewing, lets hope it's all possible and cost effective and not too far off.

still not going to do anything for the overpopulation problem though :/
    in fact, it'll make it worse for a while.

3. knowsfords

knowsfords Member

Combine this with solar panels and the grid goes bye bye.

4. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

errr did you actually watch it.............

5. Recharge

Recharge Member

if he did, he really wasn't paying attention :lol: :Paranoid:

6. Danske

Danske Member

that was pretty darn interesting :)

it just sux that our society is so based on greed and $.

7. Delator

Delator Member

this is my perspective on the video:

Firstly his company's website states:
    'Justin is a seasoned venture capitalist and entrepreneur'...
    'Justin received his BSc, with honors, in International Finance and Banking from City University, London and an MBA from Harvard Business School.'
    -http://www.nanoholdings.com/about-us/management-team/justin-hall-tipping

So he is a venture capitalist, with studies in finance/business, with no science background.

The presentation starts off as a problem (iceberg). Then he gives us the 'solution' and then presents an emotive appeal, even to the point where he shed a tear (starving child).

Throughout the video he was using various stats with no context, ie the conductivity of a carbon nano tube. He also stated the capabilities of this carbon film, with no live examples or even an example pre-recorded.

From the comments on youtube 'Historians will refer to this video.' and '41 American oil and gas company CEOs disliked this video'. People are really believing it.

Now I am not saying he is lying. But venture capitalists want people to 'investments', so they can sell their holdings and give themselves big salaries.

Essentially this seems like a well orchestrated sales pitch based on hypotheticals. At least it got the spectacle that is the TED crowd, to stand and cheer.

8. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

This guy doesn't even understand how heat transfer works. He's just a sales man. The matty picture of the girl "dying of thirst" really pulls it over the line.

Claims are dubious at best. Yes I'm saying that to you girl dying of thirst.

9. Ageotas

Ageotas Member

Claims of the "gridless" transmission of power by reflecting light show a dubious understanding of how the technology works, but these nano-/meta-materials are 100% legit and have been popping up in labs for years now. They are not a "silver bullet" solution, but they are a possible future of how we design our buildings and live our lives.

Yes, he might be a venture capitalist, and an entrepreneur; do you want to know why he is on stage? Because almost every scientist that I work with is a bloody terrible public speaker, and an even worse business man/woman. So many research groups could do well to have someone like this helping them "sell" their ideas, and by "sell" I simply mean "convey accurately and enthusiastically" the ideas that we are working on. Grant money is hard enough to get when you are applying against hundreds of other research scientists, but imagine how hard it is to just convince the "middle of the bell curve" portion of the population?

10. knowsfords

knowsfords Member

I did watch it and I did understand it... glass that produces electricity from heat transference, I meant roof mounted solar panels in addition to power from this glass.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  11. Danske

Danske Member

Does it really matter if its a sales pitch??

Science needs good sales pitches... less money on fucking stupid shit like wars and overpopulationing family bonuses and more money on actually fixing proper shit please.

12. Delator

Delator Member

science is objectivity.

Sales pitches are all spin and masking objectivity to achieve financial gains.

How do you know if what he is stating is achievable/practical, or if it is just spun hype so he can make a few million? That's my point.

For example, I could get a few PHD students together and give them some facilities in the hope I create a new wave of green energy. And then go on all the big commodified 'intellectual' conferences like TED, and talk up the possibilities of what we could deliver, and make it all emotive, and leave out any detail or context. TED is a beautiful marketing platform for this. Then the investors will be lined up and the work done will just be the biproduct to the profits made (dot come bubble anyone?).

Also, I am probably more anti military than you. And would like a world with less socially constructed values/detachment from the real. But marketing exercises and basic fraud is continuing such fabrication.

Basically, carbon nanotubes are used in bicycles these days. And desal plants remove the water and pump out the concentrated remains back into the ocean which wrecks that ecosystem. Can we also have this technocentric viewpoint that we can manufacturer our way out of the problems caused by manufacturing?

basically i am pushing for objectivity here.
    i want to..

13. Eddyah

Eddyah Member

It'll take a lot of time any money till a cost effective method of carbon nanotube production is achieved.

14. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

Going to the media and coming out with flashy press releases and flashy videos and marketing to the public first, instead of first going through the process of scientific publication and peer-review first, is a classic indicator that you're probably dealing with rubbish and not good science.

15. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

I laugh at the prospect of "beaming" power to your neighbour using photons. Guy seems like all talk, no real substance, kind of hops between different topics/problems... his units of measurement are great - nearly as good as libraries of congress:

"that is 600 times smaller than a period [.]"

Yeah, righto buddy...

16. knowsfords

knowsfords Member

Come on now, I personally enjoy my cold fusion powered car.

17. Alpha2k6

Alpha2k6 Member

I think windows that are also solarpanels was probably atleast a year since ive read about.. add those to a skyscraper or something and it might pay off alot on the electricity bill. Ive yet to watch this video at work atm.

18. Danske

Danske Member

The issue with transparent photovoltaic solar paint/windows is their efficiency drops dramatically.

So you could paint a skyscraper with PV paint or build it with PV windows and its total yield probably wouldnt be as a high as running normal PV panels.

If we manage to get solar efficiency to a stupidly high number, we'd be set for a supplement to baseload power, and by baseload im talking something NOT coal.

19. samos

samos Member

This.

But, he's a great speaker. If he did it from a strong evidence based approach, and not so much sales - he would be a good rep on behalf of science.

20. bigfellla

bigfellla Member

We already have a shitload of baseload mate. We need load following technologies. In fact nearly 80% of the cost of providing electricity it simply to have enough capacity for the 12 days of summer that we all put our airconditioning on.