1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The general *nix chat thread

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Asteroid, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Braedz

Braedz Member

Got to love linux, migrated my old Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server with a Intel P4 with 1.5gb RAM, to a AMD Phenom X4 with 8GB RAM. Worked like a charm!

To my surprise, the server booted straight away, and didnt have a fuss about any drivers. Only had to remove the record of my previous MAC address, as Ubuntu server does not like NICs being swapped.

Quite a painless experience. Try doing that with Windows Server.

2. hollstar

hollstar Member

I had that exact issue switching between two Micro Servers the other week. A quick Google pointed me in the right direction thankfully. That said, I have to agree, what would otherwise be an impossible exercise under Windows is effortless in Linux.

Should have made the switch 15 years ago...

3. BAK

BAK RIP

It's a bit of a pain really, especially when you're regularly cloning VMs from snapshots for test environments. Reinitialising the MAC delays the first boot for a couple of minutes while it waits for the network to sort itself out.

A better way would be to set up a proper deployment using Kickstart (or Ubuntu's equivalent) or something like Puppet, I just haven't got around to sorting it out yet.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Nothing bad about it that I can see. In fact, it sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

All of our workstations have NFS mounted home dirs, and everyone has a /scratch partition that's SSD (SATA for low end machines, PCIe for high end). Our big apps require this for writing their own custom temp files out, and I point a few other things there already. I think I'll point ~/.cache there too.

Thanks for the tip! :)

5. tr3nton

tr3nton Member

http://www.murraytwins.com/blog/?p=127

6. IKT

IKT Member

7. elvis

8. karnophage

karnophage Member

Elvis - are you coming over for linux.conf.au?

9. tr3nton

tr3nton Member

10. elvis

11. karnophage

karnophage Member

You can come stay with me*! I'm pretty tempted to go, I'm not using Linux a whole lot but I'm interesting in moving a few of our Windows guys that way. Figured I could learn a bit. Seems to be good timing too, a lot of people take a bit extra time off after New Years, so works out OK.

*Pending wife's acceptance :lol:

12. IKT

IKT Member

13. elvis

I've yet to figure out why desktop OS authors continue to give a shit about mobile interfaces.

The Windows 8 thread continues it's round robin of people bitching about a touch-centric design on the desktop. Likewise GNOME3 continues it's push towards a more touch-like interface, which really seems odd when you consider the volume of GNOME users who put it on a touch screen device (I'd dare say that wouldn't be more than a dozen users worldwide).

I already have Linux on a tablet - it's called Android, and it works far better than either GNOME3 or Windows 8 on that platform. I still want my desktop OS to remain a desktop OS.

14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Is WIMP the pinnacle of Desktop UI? or is there something better just around the corner?

15. elvis

"Better" depends on a lot of things (audience, task, tools, etc).

For what I need to do on a computer: CLI > GUI+keyboard-shortcuts > pure WIMP >>>> TOUCH

16. Hamal

Hamal Member

From a consumer perspective I see the only real replacement being touch given the tablet craze. There are some developments such as Kinect-style "everything becomes a touch surface" tech, but they'll take a long time to replace the humble mouse for most desktop workstations.

17. ex4n

ex4n Member

hey guys quick question hopefully someone can help with, my google is failing me here.

i tried to change the hostname on my ubuntu server last night, this worked but it broke my dns.. bind9 now fails to start and i am not sure why.

i edited /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname - made a copy first - then rebooted as its just a test server nothing production running on it. i couldn't ssh back in with my domain name so fired up vspehre client and then noticed that bind9 was not starting.

I undid my changes and then rebooted again and the hostname is back to the original, but dns is still broken.

i've checked all my zones are still there, i had to re-add the 'search domain' line to /etc/resolv.conf but i am not sure what else I broke..

any ideas guys? i am assuming there is a bind config file somewhere with the hostname, or some other place to change it? thanks.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  18. IKT

IKT Member

What error do you get when you try and start bind? What do you see in the syslog when you try and start it?

19. HyDrA

HyDrA Member

This, always this, always look at the log files!

Also, if you aren't getting the information from the log files, you might want to try turn on debug logging if you haven't already.

20. elvis

Oh lawds, I've been building network windows deploy tools all week, and goddamn it's painful.

I don't want to do imaging - it's too clunky. I need dynamic install and configuration, so MDT is the tool of choice. But even still, it's slow, clunky, and just painful compared to Linux PXE booting.

I've been PXE boot installing Linux machines since 2007, and it's always been smooth sailing. I'm gobsmacked Microsoft still haven't made this task easier.