1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ghetto Mod Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BlueRaven, Aug 11, 2011.

1. SmolderinCorpse

SmolderinCorpse Member

JESUS, looks good

2. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

Not bad for FREE :D ;)

3. Lord OverKill

Lord OverKill Member

4. Psychotria

Psychotria (Banned or Deleted)

I *hate* those stupid standard clips

5. Lostnewb

Lostnewb Member

After looking at some of the awesome mods people have done in here, I'm ashamed to post mine. I reckon mine was less a "ghetto mod" than a "F it this has taken too long I just want the f'ing thing to work mod".

I DID start with the best of intentions though...

[​IMG]

Okay, excuse the iphone camera pic - if I could afford an SLR I would upgrade my video cards for surround instead of being hampered by 1280MB vram. Anyway, in the first pic - an RX360 in the top, and an RX360 taking up most of the 5.25 inch bays, all of the old hotswap bays, and whatever that bay was down the bottom of my 800D. Currently missing a fan on the bottom radiator, waiting for the 1000RPM fans to come back into stock at pccg (they were on special at 9 bucks each! Score!)

The loop goes res - pump (which creekin is going to take 1 look at and say "why the hell didn't you spin it 90 degrees so you don't have those stupid loops in it!" - mate its a vario, i wanted to be able to play with the speed control :() - bottom RX360 - out to T piece with drain valve that a drain hose can screw into, and up to cpu block. Which is a huge run, but that way I can just cut it and plug it into the new video card water blocks when I get my new video cards when I win lottery. Heck the pump is a D5, not like it is a huge load for it.

From CPU block to top rad then back into res. Note the Kuhler 620 modded gtx570's that are pretty quiet (certainly compared to stock). The original frames are left on so they can provide heat sinking for the vram and other bits that apparently needed it, cooled by the gaffer taped noctua 120 flex. The worst bit is the bottom card. I couldn't find a place for the rad + fan that didn't screw up the airflow, cause the tubes on the 620 are too short for much. You can't see it, but there is a 140mm corsair fan that came with the case blowing air up into the mobo area. Sooo... I set it to blow down to the bottom rad, which would then suck the heat out through the other rad. Which heats the cpu up. Which is.. umm.. well the same effect as having them in the loop I guess :)

You can see also the steel rod I cut off to the right side and fitted a rare earth magnet to the top and bottom of it, so it would hold it in place and reinforce the chopped up barrier between the psu area and m/b area. Where I chopped up steel, I stripped out some 1.5mm 2c+e tps and used the tps as finger / hose protection, because even though I tried to file it down, the edges where I cut are still a bit sharp.

[​IMG]

Awesome shot of my ssd holder (the plastic container which fit perfectly in that spot), the mechanical hdd that is cable tied onto the 2 rubber feet that the 800D's hotswap bay sat on (one under it, one against the edge of the 5 1/4 bay), the fill port that I had every intention of fitting properly into the top of the case, but decided it would make it very obvious that it was a water cooled machine to my lovely wife (who doesn't at this point know) so I tied it up next to the top rad.

[​IMG]

And finally, what my lovely wife sees when she walks into the study. An innocuous looking pc case that I put my computer into because it would make it quieter. Incidently my full load temps at 1.325V/4.25GHz after an hour of intel burn test are around 60 degrees. That's not a reflection of the radiators, but I think it's a reflection of the crappy job I did on the TIM. It idles around 28 degrees, and the air coming out of the radiators is cool, so I must just need to redo that. Not that it matters, under non testing conditions (dvd encoding / gaming / raytracing in Inventor) it doesn't get hot at all. No more than high 40's thus far. Good enough I reckon.

6. Rea:Per

Rea:Per Member

I may have missed it but how come you got the Kuhler 620's rather than generic VGA blocks?

and you currently have 120.3 + 120.3 cooling only ur CPU?

your running 3 seperate loops that could be easily (and cheaper) be done in 1 cutting down the amount of tubing and wiring.

if i was you i would get 2x VGA Blocks and go from the CPU into each vid card then into ur bottom 120.3.

7. kambo_rambo

kambo_rambo Member

if you read the whole post, hes saving for VGA full blocks later and getting rid of the Kuhlers but keeping them in temporarily. Hence why he thinks its ghetto.

8. Concept CBF

Concept CBF Member

Lol that is the most decrepit looking 800D i have ever seen.

9. Psychotria

LOL :lol: Love it :thumbup:

10. aeon.

aeon. Member

not sure if case is dusty or the lens of the potato he's using is :Paranoid:

11. Psychotria

Pretty sure it's the case.

However I suspect something else. That reservoir gives it away... I am pretty sure this is not water cooling but a way to hide his distillery from the wife. I bet the computer doesn't even turn on and it's one huge decoy.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  12. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

What is this I don't even

Bloody hell mate, that reads like one of my very special TL;DR posts. :D:thumbup:

I don't know if it's ghetto, but it's certainly unique!

Interesting idea to just cut the loop when you install GPU blocks, but I think pulling the whole lot apart and cleaning up/rearranging things would give a better result. Can't complain about the temps though. :thumbup:

I reckon it does turn on.... he's using the 980X as a heat source for evaporation.

[​IMG]

:lol:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  13. c_hegge

c_hegge Member

GeForce 6200 AGP Graphics card. The fan failed, and I had a passive heat sink, but one of the capacitors was in the way, so this was my solution. Mounting the cap on the other side of the PCB, and putting duct tape under the heat sink to stop the legs shorting on the heat sink.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

14. James086

James086 Member

That's beautiful. :thumbup:
    A perfect engineering solution.

15. kix

kix Member

I always kept hitting the case under my desk with my legs.
    Decided to ditch the case and screw the lot to the desk.

I especially like the vga card securing mechanism.. :lol:

[​IMG]

16. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

that is so ghetto-tastic.

17. Lostnewb

Lostnewb Member

That's fantastic... Bet you don't have little kids, or cats, or dogs... Else I bet you are fastidious about keeping your pc room's door closed :lol:

18. kix

kix Member

I do have kids but they are not allowed in my room.:p

19. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

**KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK**

Go away baitin?

20. kix

kix Member

Word!
    Kids can be replaced, rare possessions cannot. :)