1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ghetto Mod Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BlueRaven, Aug 11, 2011.

1. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Bunnings has a similar thing, albeit double the price, so this I did consider... but I felt I could do better on the design. That looks limited to just being a table leg. These poles, which were actually about the same price (actually slightly cheaper individually when I got a bulk of 4), can otherwise be used elsewhere in my apartment, so I deemed them more value for money.

I might still consider getting them in future though.

They are actually not holding much weight. The tension set on them is less than what you'd set them to in a shower recess or as a hanger in a hallway or something.

macktheknife likes this.
  2. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I want to make clear that I'm by no means on the defensive. All feedback is noted. I'm simply explaining the rationale as said feedback is provided.

jjjc_93, BlueRaven, OCMunkee and 2 others like this.
  3. havabeer

havabeer Member

this, i would consider that sag, and its sag that is only going to get worse. Can i ask the reasoning by needing it to be not screwed together at all?

this is mainly American and references 3/4 chip board, but you really shouldn't have it any wider then 60cm, and the ends should be locked in so it doesn't it the board room to flex.
    [​IMG]

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/aw-extra-3614-stronger-shelves/

4. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Like I said, I've had this setup since April, and it's always been like this. Given it's only 16mm melamine, and that I am using it in a way that it was not intended to, suppose it somewhat makes the sag inevitable, but it's not gotten any worse than simply the fact the sag exists. Having said that, I have been monitoring it the whole time, so I haven't simply ignored/dismissed it.

It goes against my vision for the project. Nothing fixed into place, everything portable and replaceable and reusable (within reason), and everything complementing each other by means of helping hold something into place, or counterweight/act a negative aspect by means of physics.

Sometimes one must think/do "outside the square" to innovate ;)

They are. They are anchored down by 4 clamps.

The changeability of components can include upgrading the desktop bench to something thicker and more solid material, which I do intend to do once I find what I want and feel I can afford it, and upgrading to more solid (and maybe larger) shelving that act as the legs/overall support, changing components out to be repurposed elsewhere in my living space, so on and so forth...

Even since I started the project, I've actually wanted to get a 25-26mm thick wood panel for the desktop, but for the size I needed it to be, it was going to cost me too much, or otherwise no stock. The whole structure so far is merely "proof of concept", given it's all the 1st iteration of everything.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    BlueRaven and OCMunkee like this.
  5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

load bearing shower curtain rod structural properties are well documented :thumbup:

Dilbery, macktheknife and OCMunkee like this.
  6. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I feel like I'm missing something here :lol: was there a meme-type incident or something, or just typical industry information?

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Mimi Faust did an amature home "movie" where she was hanging onto the shower curtain rail.
    It made some noise as people were asking about the brand of it, as it was very strong.

NSFW - do not search "mimi faust shower curtain rail"

8. havabeer

havabeer Member

I suppose if we we're doing everything proper we wouldn't be in the ghetto mods thread would we :lol::lol:

keep an eye out at your local bunnings, sometimes you find the nice solid project panels for cheap. I once found 3 merbau ones a bit under half price. Didn't have a use for them at the time but snuggled them up quick before anyone else. Ended up installing them in our rental as a kitchen and laundry bench top. Saw some others lighter wood at our local bunnings recently as well but again no use for them... managed to resist the temptation of buying it that time.

macktheknife and CAPT-Irrelevant like this.
  9. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

My main PC has been housed inside an old Lian Li PC60 for quite some time now. Prior to that, it was all housed in a Chenbro server chassis, and before that I simply cannot recall. There is nothing wrong with the Lian Li, except for the fact that it just simply is not ghettto enough.

Enter, the IBM Aptiva 2170 from 1998. I bought it with the hopes of ressurecting the hardware within (AMD K6/2 500 on an Acer V75M mATX Socket 7 board with 128MB RAM and some other rubbish hardware) but alas, the motherboard is kaput.

While I did intend on having a decent little retro rig, I don't really need it, and bought it with the justification that if indeed the hardware was junk, my trusty i7 6th Gen setup would instead make a home inside - enter, the Craptiva.

There are a few mods to do for it to work properly:

- I need to enlarge the opening between the PSU compartment at the top, and the motherboard compartment below, so I can get power cabling through. At present, the PSU I am using covers the entirety of the current hole, I plan on using a 90-92mm hole saw to achieve the goal.
    - The PSU needs to be inverted, but only has one set of mounting holes to screw it in one way. Once inverted, I need to enlarge the opening at the rear so the IEC plug will fit properly.
    - The HDD LED doesn't work with this board, it is a 3-pin LED for some reason, need to canabalise one from elsewhere.
    - The 80mm intake fan I put on the front of the case is clipping a mounting tab for something no longer present, will chop it off.
    - Lop off one of the pop rivets that hold the motherboard tray to the chassis, as its in the way of the PSU being able to fit correctly.

For now, the system is in it and working. The PSU is just wedged in and working for now. I know the above isn't ground-breaking ghetto, but in keeping with the theme of "this shit is old", the edges of the hole will be left relatively sharp like the generic beige cases of the mid-90s all were to begin with.

Couple of pics.

PXL_20220111_120637408.jpg PXL_20220111_120740417.jpg PXL_20220111_120655730.jpg PXL_20220115_115558476.jpg PXL_20220115_115607572.jpg

BlueRaven, Sankari, brayway and 2 others like this.
  10. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

That's too neat.. I like :thumbup:

11. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Thanks, it is still a WIP. While I will be ghetto with some of the execution of the mods to do, it will be left as neat as possible by the end of it. I have absolutely no plans to do anything to exterior, besides clean off some of the cockroach crap.

12. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

There is one ghetto mod that I just remembered I did do already - I wanted front USB Ports, so I used the cluster from a donor case and squeezed it into the spare 3.5" bay behind the front door.

It is secured using case screw through each side with the original mounting tabs bent back, and brass stand off's used as nuts for the screws. Works well.

PXL_20220116_083014007.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20220116_083055745.NIGHT.jpg

Groff, BlueRaven, Dilbery and 4 others like this.
  13. Sankari

Sankari Member

Pfft. Get on my level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:tongue:

14. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

I dunno, that's all a bit neat and organised to be ghetto... If there is hot glue and zip ties....

MUTMAN, Groff and Sankari like this.
  15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

wall plugs as mobo stand-offs is a pure ghetto pass in my books :D

davros123, Sankari and Groff like this.
  16. davros123

davros123 Member

Hmmmm - I see velcro mounted hdd's too. Love it.

Sankari and MUTMAN like this.
  17. turbotrix1

turbotrix1 Member

Not sure if this is common knowledge/common sense, i just realised this tonight while hunting through the shed for parts but... both PC water cooling and aircompressor systems use the same G1/4 thread and nitto male fittings are the perfect size for a 10mm tubing.. Do with this knowledge as you please, the possabilities are edless with a quick trip to bunnings and a few bucks.. and I'll get back to you all in a couple weeks when I put this knowledge to use myself :lol:

MUTMAN and BlueRaven like this.
  18. Groff

Groff Member

Oh man... I can't un-know that now!

19. Eisenhorn

Eisenhorn Member

That G1/4 fitting is called 1/4 BSP (British Standard Pipe) in the air compressor and and gas fitting world, make sure you don't get 1/4 NPT (National Pipe Thread) looks the same but is different and will damage what you screw it into.

turbotrix1 and MUTMAN like this.
  20. emmjawsX

emmjawsX Member

one more thing to note: watercooling threads are all parallel, others may be tapered

[​IMG]

macktheknife and MUTMAN like this.