1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ghetto Mod Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BlueRaven, Aug 11, 2011.

1. kesawi

kesawi Member

Fitting a GTX1660Ti into my 2RU server. Do I just leave the lid off, go partial ghetto and get the angle grinder out to cut a slot in the lid, or full ghetto with cardboard and masking tape before putting it back in the rack? :lol:

20240207_204233-cropped.jpg 20240207_204214-cropped.jpg 20240207_204102-cropped.jpg

Dodge M4S likes this.
  2. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

use a riser and leave it horizontal somewhere around the area the SSD's currently are floating?

Groff likes this.
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

thinly veiled "I'm so fancy I use a case" post

:lol:

Dodge M4S, OCMunkee and kesawi like this.
  4. kesawi

kesawi Member

Wondering if I could use a riser to mount it externally and something like this.

Not at all :Paranoid:

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Do you know how to weld? Cut the slot out of the case and get some scrap metal to cover it up?

6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

j/k mate. I vote for cut a slot :thumbup:

Groff likes this.
  7. Groff

Groff Member

I vote this.
    Also gotta love the bottom ssd which looks like it's in a 3.5: mount but that's just sitting in there not mounted to anything!

You going to cut around the 3.5" HDD as well for extra cooling?

8. Groff

Groff Member

Not ghetto enough :Pirate::lol:

macktheknife likes this.
  9. kesawi

kesawi Member

I couldn't be bothered buying a 1x3.5 to 2x2.5 mount and normally it would sit in the drive cage where the cables kept it nice and snug :)

There's another drive tray with two SSDs (in a proper mount) under that drive which I'll move the HDD to so it doesn't sit proud. I'll probably move those SSDs to sit lose in the 5.25 drive bay behind the USB3 facia.

Not too keen on cutting the case as I may want to repurpose it at some point.
    I'm considering making a stand out of some spare timber and cable ties that I have, or just hanging it off the rack, so there is still scope for a ghetto mod with that option :lol:

Groff likes this.
  10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Plastic masonry wall plugs make perfect stand-offs. Cut to desired length and send a screw right through it to the base, using the plug as a spacer. More effective than cable ties but just as ghetto :thumbup:

kesawi, Spyder6052 and MUTMAN like this.
  11. kesawi

kesawi Member

Ended up just using a 1x PCIe to 16x PCIe riser which I ran out through the back of the case via one of the expansion slots. I did have to bend the slot slightly to get the power cable out. Wrapped some electric tape around the power cables to protect them from scraping on the metal and used a cable tie to stop the riser from being pulled out via it's cable.

20240210_124607.jpg

The GTX 1660Ti sits nicely in the rack on the riser once I cut the bottom off the faceplate so didn't really need to knock up a frame for it.

20240211_074815.jpg 20240211_074823.jpg

Probably not really ghetto but thought I'd post for completeness.

Annoying thing was when I reassembled the server and put it in the rack one of the drives wasn't registering on boot. Spent the next couple of hours trying to troubleshoot. Looks like one of the SATA ports has failed, an SSD has died, and some of the SATA cables had frayed so won't be able to run the extra two SSDs that were going to be used to cache the HDDs in my ZFS pool. Damn thing had worked fine for the last 10 years and must have just been holding on so that a slight adjustment was enough to break it. Combined with my fat fingers breaking my 10Gbe NIC it's been a frustrating weekend.

Dodge M4S, brayway and macktheknife like this.