1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The 'Glassy and Glowy Clock' thread

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Symon, Feb 19, 2013.

1. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

New Nixie tubes are now available as well as clocks using them:

Before you get too excited each tube takes around 6 man hours to make and they're priced accordingly.

BlueRaven likes this.
  2. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Matt's pretty lucky that people are willing to send him USD$1000 Nixie clock kits to review!
    He deserves it though, great content creator (I'm a supporter of the channel via Patreon) and he's definitely shown his appreciation for "Nixie art" in several of his earlier videos.

As I posted in a youtube comment, I just love the aesthetics of Nixie projects but the cost is too prohibitive for me to get the real deal.
    Obviously these niche components are never going to reach mass-market-production status ever again.
    But maybe, just maybe, if guys like Dalibor Farny and the team at Milclock have some measure of commercial success, the price of new tubes might come down a bit over time.

3. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

That's an interesting point.
    Having watched the tubes being made I'd be somewhat amazed if the amount of labour involved could be significantly reduced. For sure machines today can make anything but for that kind of product the complexity and hence capital cost would be large. Then you end up with a plant that could make 100s per day and there just isn't the market at any price point.

4. cvidler

cvidler Member

Not a clock, but if any audience will appreciate it's you guys

/invariance\ likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

That is insanely cool!