The Gorgeous Blue Mountains

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Azrael, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

When I was younger i did tons of hiking, abseiling, climbing, canyoning etc up around the Blue Mountains, but havnt been back for years now. Up here now for a couple of days, and these are from a walk around Wentworth Falls yesterday.

Lightly processed today (LR only) as its pretty miserable outside today, and having a rest day.

Yesterday was gorgeous though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wish we could get out further, off the beaten path, but because we were planning for this time to just be a relaxing time I didnt bring any hiking gear at all.

C&C on the photos is appreciated. I havnt done a huge amount of bush landscape stuff since i was about 15.

2. herzeg

herzeg Member

Great captures; make me wanna go out for some fresh air... :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

Here are some more from the mountains from the last couple of days. Playing with Flickr as the method of sharing atm.

[​IMG]
    Pool of Siloam by iamtakai, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Three Sisters in Fog by iamtakai, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Leura Cascades by iamtakai, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Govetts Leap by iamtakai, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Govetts Rock Wall by iamtakai, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Three Sisters at Sunset by iamtakai, on Flickr

Getting some interesting fringing on low-high contrast areas with the grad ND filter, most noticeable on the couple from Govetts. Could be how i have processed the images too. Will need to play more with processing.

4. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Been meaning to get back to this set. Love my workplace where they tell everyone to take 2 to 3 weeks leave over christmas/new years. Then the next day ask for budgets to be in by 4th january, when everyone who provides the data and work is away on leave, grrrrr.

#1. Love it. Great feeling of space, big open space. Sky has a blue tinge, not sure if thats something you've done or .... just the blue mountains?

#2 is a similar shot, but the shadow on the left hand side wall face brings it down a touch. But i like seeing the rock face on the right hand side that you cant see in #1.

#3 is another shot that feels like its very open. Water looks good.

All 3 photos are cropped in a way i wouldt have thought to take them. Good composition, but not something i would have done. But since you got the results (all 3 are very good, with only a shadow in #2 bringing that one down a bit), so maybe your onto something and i can learn something from them.

Pool of ... is well done, especially the strands of water. But as a pic doesnt hold my attention.

3 sisters in fog is a good shot with the fog. Is that 2 dust bunnies to the right of the 3rd sister (one is high, the other lower and a bit further to the right)?

Cascades ... looks blown out at the top (because your trying for longer shutter speed for the water probably) and almost uneven light in the foreground. Maybe if you cropped (in portrait) just the water flowing over the 5 levels of rocks and splashing at the bottom, you might end up with a smaller scene with black rocks and white water that works better?

Govetts ... looks great, clouds working for you. I dont mind the shadow of the clouds, but its a bit dark on that back right hand side foreground. The landscape feels very big in this picture again. Perspective wise its almost feels like a wide angle lens, but not quite.

Govetts rock wall ... clouds almost blown? Maybe you were trying to get correct exposure on the wall? I feel like the tree bottom left clutters the shot.

3 sisters at sunset ... nice colour, great cloud movement, good view/perspective/crop. Is the colour maybe a bit muted along the at the back of the valley, up the rear wall and creeping a bit into the lower sky? Maybe its a light fog that shows up more in the longer exposure? Still a good pic, not knocking it.

#1 might still be my favourite, and while i didnt like #2 as much as the others the more i look at it the less the 2 big shadow on the left bothers me.

5. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

Just the blue mountains, actually desaturating blue in most of the photos
    Not dust bunnies, probably spots of rain/water on the CPL as they arn't there in other frames.

Yeah, it is dark on the rock wall, but it looks unnaturally bizarre in the triple exposure masks where you can see the rock wall too. Ill have to play with it more when i am back home on my desktop (rather than my laptop)

Its the difference of about 10-20km meaning that the angle of incidence on the far rock wall is greater and the light is bleeding into sunset.

6. ElBeasto

ElBeasto Member

Wicked set mate, I really love that one you posted in photo of the week.
    Three Sisters in Fog is ace too. :) :thumbup:

7. viper_overlord

viper_overlord Member

lovely collection :thumbup: i especially loved the waterfall in "Pool of Siloam"

8. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Wow, epic shots. At least a million times better than the photos from my Blue Mountains trip.

Katoomba is absolutely beautiful. If I had the opportunity I probably would live there.

Might I ask what lens(es) were used?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  9. tof

tof Member

Too bad i didn't see the blue mountains when visiting Oz !

Well i hope to have the chance to visit you again, i m missing Australia now.

Thank you so much for those amazing shots !

:)

10. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

Yeah, its a very nice part of the world. Mountains are better than sea any day IMHO :)

Using a 16-35L and a 24-105L.

Edit: oh and here is part of the TL from the sunset.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  11. richardgrainger

richardgrainger Member

I won't go over what the above already have pointed out, but wow, I really enjoyed quite a few from this set.

12. vindicator

vindicator Member

Colours look cooked generally.

Three sisters is the best I've seen from you.

You could have a rhapsody as the sound track for that.

13. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

beautiful shots of where i grew up. nice work.