The great Aussie case mod competition

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Johnnygatt, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Johnnygatt

Johnnygatt Member

Sponsored by Thermaltake
    Your Mission: To design an “Australia: Past, present and future” chassis modification based on Thermaltake’s outstanding V9 BlacX Edition mid tower system housing.
    The theme: Australia: Past, Present and Future
    What do you imagine when you think of Australia? It’s a country with so many different stories. This makes our theme very broad - from a design that honours Australian native fauna, or perhaps a topic like our love of sport, to a futuristic look at where we may be in 20 or 100 years time! If you’re not sure whether your idea fits in with the theme, please email us.
    The Thermaltake V9 BlacX
    The system housing we have chosen to be modded is a state of the art design from world leading high performance chassis manufacturer, Thermaltake. The V9 BlacX Edition features a dual bay docking station on top, a world first, allowing for easy swapping of 3.5” and 2.5” SATA storage drives. In the all black interior there is tool free mounts for optical drives and PCI devices. This chassis also offers the latest USB3.0 SuperSpeed connector and, like any great case, air flow has been for the latest PC hardware. A silent top 23cm fan provides maximum ventilation and the motherboard tray sports a CPU cooler access point to assist aftermarket cooler installations.

The inside and the outside and all the grills are black, making it the perfect blank canvass for a mod.
    [​IMG]

Thermaltake are supplying twenty of these chassis for this competition. For your chance to win one... . Read On

If you have any Questions I will be happy to answer them here but please read the full post first.

2. dreamaxx

dreamaxx (Banned or Deleted)

Woo excited to see some of the entries :)

3. frostee

frostee Member

It'll fall apart the second you touch it. Some excellent modding right there

4. Tribulus

Tribulus Member

Can't wait to see some of the Veteran modders around OCAU take a stab at this! :)

Good luck to everyone!

5. bobbavet

bobbavet Member

Lmao Kerplunk! :lol:

But seriously, goodluck to contenders. Got to be in it to win it. :thumbup:

6. OP
    OP
    Johnnygatt

Johnnygatt Member

We are pleases to announce that Deaf children Australia are ECP’s and The great Aussie case mod competition official beneficiary. Deaf children Australia have been asked to pick a team of artist to represent them in the The great Aussie case mod competition If you are an artist that is looking at participating and would like to donate your case artwork to help raise awareness and some cash for Deaf children Australia please let us know!

7. Jimmy37

Jimmy37 Member

I have the normal V9 here in my room somewhere. Piece of Crap. If the quality is the same on this BlacX thing, then it's not worth putting the effort in to win it.

I also can't wait to see the mods. but seriously, bad luck for it being a thermaltake.

8. broox

broox Member

sounds great :)

i'll have a fidde around with the images and see if i can get some magic happening :thumbup:

i think the feature of the HDD dock on top is awesome. I have stripped out the guts of a sata and a pata caddy for easy plug & play goodness... super handy, use them all the time!

9. EpicPcCases

EpicPcCases (Banned or Deleted)

Is there a way we can make monetary donations or possibly get people to donate based on which case they like?

A mod is a mod, take something crap and make it better. Thats kind of what modding is all about :)

10. JuzIE

JuzIE Member

Will have to start getting my photoshop on ;)

11. Imperitos

Imperitos Member

holy crap, very interested in this.

+1 to Deaf Children Australia, my dad was half deaf from birth and attended one of the schools in melbourne. Not sure if its the same organization, but still glad to hear they are a beneficiary.

Might have to dust off the old pencil and drawing pad :)

*gets out visual diary*

12. Silvion

Silvion Member

Would be some fun!
    Good luck to all

13. hazy261

hazy261 Member

this looks to be promising
    +1 carnt wait to start to c some drawings
    :):thumbup:

14. EpicPcCases

Cant get the cad file to work or get it converted. Its a .stp file and there arent any converters to .dxf or dwg that I know of.

15. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Member

Having the same problem as Epic. Can we get an upload as a .dxf ?

16. EpicPcCases

Bump!

I submitted my stage two designs, WiFi was my theme. Anyone else care to share their theme, just curious :)

17. broox

broox Member

toying with a "ute" theme atm. doubt i'll have the time / funds to do it how my head is thinking tho.

quick question, does that cad file open in sketchup? or is there a free cad program (cad noob)

18. OP
    OP
    Johnnygatt

Johnnygatt Member

the cad file is a .stp file

STP files are saved in a text-based ASCII format that conforms to the STEP Application Protocols ISO 10303-2xx.
    Program(s) that open stp files
    Mac OS
    IMSI TurboCAD Deluxe v5

Windows
    IMSI TurboCAD Deluxe 17,
    Dassault Systemes CATIA or DELMIA,
    LKSoft IDA-STEP

Linux
    Dassault Systemes CATIA
    LKSoft IDA-STEP

If anyone knows how to convert it please let mew know I will be happy to host the converted file.

Also if any of you have any older case mods i would love to post some photos and info on the comp site to show off your skill. :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  19. EpicPcCases

I did try to convert it with an autocad step converter I downloaded but it freezes up every time I try. Is anyone else having any luck?

20. OP
    OP
    Johnnygatt

Johnnygatt Member

I have chased it up with TT that is the only one my contact has but will look into it.