The Great Big iPhone Competitors Thread

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Bonkers, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Bonkers

Bonkers Member

Seeing as apple has gotten in everyones faces with a plethora of marketing over the past week, I'd actually like to know how the competition stacks up against the iPhone.

What good alternatives are there for similar phones? Is there anything that outdoes the iPhone? etc.

This is a thread to discuss compare the latest and greatest pdaphones and how they stack up.

Now With awesome spreadsheet goodness (Thanks Asgaldh!):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  2. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

to be honest, i haven't seen a single tv or newspaper ad for an iphone.

there are plenty of devices that out-perform the iphone, but really, this thread is kind of redundant because there are already individual threads for the handsets that compete with the iphone....

IMO.

3. jappy

jappy Member

Well for a start, what are the iPhone's competitors?

(I'm a complete mobile newbie)

4. lesterr

lesterr Member

ive heard alot of people comparing the sony ericsson xperia x1 to the iphone,

5. OP
    OP
    Bonkers

Bonkers Member

The problem is most people know of nothing but the iPhone (me included) and have no idea what else is out there. It'd be good to have a talk about all possible options in the one spot as opposed to needing to search through every thread in here looking for phones that are similar to the iphone (as in pda style phones with an OS/wireless etc.)

Half the articles in MX last week seemed to be on the iPhone, but nobody really talks about any alternatives.

6. Meistro

Meistro Member

One phone that comes close to the iPhone is the HTC Touch Diamond.
    http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=46278

Has most of the features the iPhone has, ranging from touch screen, HSPDA, Wifi, 3.2MP camera, integrated GPS and is lighter (110g vs iPhone @ 147g).

The downfalls are that the screensize is smaller, internal storage is smaller and the OS can be somewhat slow. I heard that when you upgrade the software on the phone, all is fast. Not sure if the battery life is great on the HTC touch diamond.

Currently at ~$730 on eBay compared to $915 for the iPhone outright at Optus, it does look like a strong iPhone competitor indeed.

7. Vaempyr

Vaempyr Member

The key competitors, as I see them fall into 4 catgeories:

1) The high-end "normal" phones; Nokia N95 et al.

Pros: Great phones, often have extra features like mass storage, GPS and the like.

Cons: Limited third-party app support, limited touch screen / gestures capability.

2) The Palm Treo range

Pros: Straightforward OS, fantastic PDA pedigree.

Cons: Limited third-party app support, limited touch screen / gestures capability.

3) The Blackberry range

Pros: Arguably the best push email platform going around.

4) The Windows Mobile range

Pros: Perhaps the best third-party app support for a non-Apple platform. Tried and true touch-screen OS that can handle everything from being a phone to a GPS to a music player.

Cons: Subjective, I suppose, but WM6 doesn't feel quite so polished as the iPhone OS and the gesture support isn't as good, either (again, perhaps subjective).

8. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

The battery life is my biggest beef with the HTC. It is really only just barely enough for me right now. Thankfully the usb charger makes things nice and simple.

The OS runs a fair bit faster after putting on the latest firmware, but there's still some room for improvement if I'm perfectly honest. I also don't really like the included music player and since tcpmp doesn't work I'm still hunting for a good free program.

9. Julz

Julz Member

samsung omnia
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=24&id=2606&pg=6

or as previously mentioned, the HTC Touch Diamond.

I was contemplating getting the Omnia but I think i like the UI of the Diamond better and the 640x480 would be nice for internet browsing. Sucks how it doesnt have expandable memory tho.

The omnia would be perfect if you could hack it to use the HTC TouchFlo UI. Omnia has a great camera with smile detection :D and a nice big screen as well as 16gb storage expandable to 32gb with a 16gb msdhc card

10. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

There is also a 8Gb version of the Omnia. From my understanding the Omnia uses SiRF Star III chipset for GPS. This is a chipset commonly found on stand alone GPS units and from the various tests around it provides better battery life then the Qualcomm one used by the Diamond.

There is also the on-the way SE C905. 8mp camera, GPS and all that. Its a slider phone.

I completely disagree. Any phone running on the Symbian S60 platform like the N95 has instant access to a huge libary of software. Lots of homebrew stuff floating around aswell.

11. Vaempyr

Vaempyr Member

My apologies - I wasn't aware that Symbian had a third-party developer following of the calibre of Windows Mobile and the iPhone OS.

12. Clem

Clem Member

Ohh yeah, It is a bit harder now as they need to be signed, but it is possible with a bit of looking.

Symbian is fantastic. Really enjoying the N95.

13. TheLobb

TheLobb (Banned or Deleted)

What the hell, Symbian has loads of apps. For a long time the iPhone dident even have apps. Hacking a phone to get stuff does not count. * yes i know they have apps now, but they are pretty shitzilla. Also you need to consider that symbian supports java apps and many other stuff. and why is "Gesture support" important.

Oh noes i cant Pinch photos >_>

i can think of way more important things to consider when buying a phone.

My contribution to this thread,

Sony P1i

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  14. Julz

Julz Member

The P1i is rubbish - i had one previously and it's kinda just as crap as the M600i.

The only good thing about the P1i is the camera. I've never really liked the UIQ OS as its slow (or the handsets are generally slow), software is limited in comparison the S60V3 and the interface is difficult to use esp when coming from a Windows Mobile/CE device.

15. TheLobb

TheLobb (Banned or Deleted)

Well i have used a m600i and loved it, if you find the OS hard then there must be something wrong with you.

16. Vaempyr

Vaempyr Member

I've already apologised for that mistake - I simply wasn't aware of the range of Symbian apps available.

Because, IMHO, it makes a touchscreen a lot more powerful.

No, neither a touch-screen nor gestures are vital, and I agree that devices can function perfectly well without either. But in the context of asking what platforms exist as genuine alternatives and competitors to the iPhone, it would be remiss to ignore the comparative implementations of touch screen and gesture technologies.

17. jakes

jakes Member

/end thread :)

apologies for shitty photo

[​IMG]

18. one4spl

one4spl Member

Nice work getting make-up all over it, homo

19. jakes

jakes Member

:D

its my fingers wrapped around the camera reflecting you womble

its very bloody glossy!!

20. Stewey

Stewey Member

Do any telcos have the htc touch diamond on a plan? I can't find it anywhere apart from ebay.