The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Perko

Perko Member

Man my Fixed Wireless jitter has been getting bad over the last few months, up to 400ms at times, the base ping to Sydney has gone up from 34ms to about 62ms, and download speeds are fluctuating through the day at times that usually wouldn't correlate with peak congestion.
    I have Internode looking at things at the moment, but they're not super keen to lodge a fault. Hopefully the ODU is cooked or something.

It's been good in general, for those waiting for Fixed Wireless. My pings were about 60ms lower than on the old ADSL network to Sydney, and we haven't had a lot of trouble with congestion prior to the current issues that may or may not actually BE congestion.
    Jitter is a bit of an issue though, (as you'd expect with wireless), even when it was still working properly it would be kicking around the 30-70ms mark in good weather, and up to 150ms in bad weather and full drop outs in some of the more extreme cold fronts that we get here.

2. caspian

caspian Member

no, you asked a question, got an answer, and then decided to exhibit a suck attitude over not getting the answer you wanted. want better results? try improving your attitude.

3. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

I got fobbed off just like I did from the call centre.

By asking what could be the reason for the delay ?

I'll wait till Aug and see what happens. I'll come back here after then and see if your attitude has improved.

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

How DARE you! :D That's probably why they've stopped installing in your area. You just don't deserve it.
    No NBN for YOU! (soup nazi)

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

people have unrealistic expectations of transparency with nbnco. you'd get exactly the same response from Telstra or Woolworths or whoever if you start demanding internal information about their processes - espeicially when as it's been stated numerous times, nbn has ZERO responsibility to you, your RSP does - if you're not happy with their service that's not nbn's responsibility.

we're extremely lucky caspian has offered some of his time (for nothing) to provide some insight, it's not a service provided by nbnco, so don't expect caspian to jump when you say.

I don't work for nbn, but do experience daily the unjustified expectations from customers, currently have a customer that's stopped paying us, yet still demand instant service/support and complains more than 90% of the others put together.

banshee, fredhoon and caspian like this.
  6. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

I know right.

Not once have I asked caspian to jump :confused: I'm not demanding internal information about their processes just an idea of what has happened over the last year that has halted any connections when seemingly all the work is done.

I think I'm entitled to a little transparency considering it's been a year since letters were sent to our suburbs with NBN pamphlets saying we are to be connected in Apr 17.

7. caspian

caspian Member

agreed, and I quite often find self-defined expectations.

unless it's a high-value account (I actually originally typo'd that and left the "o" out, potentially more accurate?) then Mr Needy must be close to if not past the point where he's no longer a profitable customer and has become a loss making liability to manage. if you've got the freedom to do so, it's always worth identifying your worst customers and thinking about firing them. if not, time to dig out the contract and ensure you're not overservicing.

over servicing leads to expectations. expectations lead to whining, and that leads to nobody being happy.

banshee likes this.
  8. caspian

caspian Member

you got your updated expected service date. that's what you're entitled to, "transparency" is something you've granted yourself.

9. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Rightio ..... So if the call centre uses the same data as we have access to where did he pull this Aug 18 date from ? Cause it sure as hell isn't on the website.

After all this time I'm entitled to a little scepticism. Woops, there's my attitude again.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  10. cvidler

cvidler Member

I'd have fucked 'em off months ago (they're well past being a liability), but not my decision.

11. BAK

BAK Member

No, you aren't. Your "entitlements" are contact RSP and try to engage them in resolving whatever issue you have (tbh I didn't even read up far enough because you're coming across as an (ironically) entitled dick). If that doesn't work, call the TIO. That's it. You might like claiming on the internet these various other things that you're entitled to, but that doesn't make it true.

12. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Calling someone a dick without knowing why :thumbup:

13. caspian

caspian Member

the fact that they gave you a different date alone should demonstrate that's it's not the same dataset.

I don't know how the data chain to get to the public website works, obviously it shares the same heritage somewhere, but my best guess is that it's not refreshed as often as the internal sources and might be subject to some lag if things change.

14. BAK

BAK Member

I know why. I just don't know what issue caused you behave that way.

15. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

1+1=3 :confused:

I'm going to type this with as little attitude as I can can, take out all my previous comments and try to see where I'm coming from. 3.5 years ago construction starts and NBN advises Feb 16 connections would be available. That date came and went then Apr 17 was advised. Another 12 months rolls on and here we are being told Aug 18. Not a single explanation as to why it keeps being delayed regardless of phone calls from myself and others on my street. Speaking to contractors (yes I know they don't know much) they say there is nothing left to do. There is no housing developments near us so it can't be that they are waiting for houses to be built.

Surely you can see where my "attitude" is coming from. I don't have a problem with NBN or their call centre, my issue is being in the dark for almost 4 years with no end in sight.

16. iinsom

iinsom Member

I do have a question regarding HFC NBN. Does it use the existing wiring in the house (for the outlet to the modem) or will they install a new one?

Only reason is all the pc equipment is at the back of the house, where the existing outlet is, but the box we have currently where it goes into the house is at the front.

Would be a touch annoying to have to run more wiring from the front to the back of the house if the modem has to go up the front.

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

You need to realise the nbn doesn't answer to you, they are a wholesaler, unless you're a reseller you have zero business with nbn. All you can do is badger your RSP, and all they can do is ask the nbn, which will give them their current schedule, it's not guaranteed, shit happens things change.

And you're far from the only one with ever slipping 'deadlines' (they're not deadlines, it's a forward schedule, not a guarantee). I was and am again in a similar situation, I was slated for in 3 months, then the government changed, and then it wasn't even on the 3 year plan. I moved house (not specifically to a nbn area, just happened to buy ) but again it was slated for activation last year, now it's changed to a FTTC area and it's pushed back to 2019. Shit happens, nothing you can do about it, so don't stress.

18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I had that problem while I was contracted with Optus. I switched to ABB, I'm not sure if they actually managed to accelerate the process for me or not, though things actually started happening when I switched to them. The major reason I left Optus was the total lack of communication. ABB on the other hand were calling me weekly to update me, even if there was no news to offer. ABB's statements were never incorrect, Optus on the few occasion I actually got to speak with someone never once got it right.

Calling the NBN directly is pointless. You are not their customer. You need an ISP, a good one, to get accurate info.

19. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

My original access point was about 5 metres from where they ran the HFC box to. The installer had no issues with hooking me up to the original access point, via a cable through my tiled roof. It was my understanding, and I am happy to be corrected on this, that his job was to connect the box via the original access point. If this is the case, and I believe it to be so, then you should have your original access point at the back of the house connected to your box at the front of the house as part of the installation.

It does not reuse the original wiring, or at least it certainly didn't in my case, but they did lay new cable to the original access point. Looking at the back of my modem, it has a HFC coax cable attached to it with what looks like an F connector, so I don't think they can use the original wiring unless it was already HFC.

20. caspian

caspian Member

and now you're asking for inner workings details again. you need to let go of this, you have no entitlement to know that. the data you're entitled to is the expected go-live data, and the call centre gave that to you.

the fact that there's a call centre to provide dates to you proves this is not the case at all.

I would expect them to reuse the existing wiring unless is not fit for use.