The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

Plonkflopped is not an idiot, he knows that. The issue that has got him asking is that, according to the contractors he spoke to, it is all hooked up. No "shit" seems to have happened, it just appears to have stalled with no explanation and no reason. Obviously you'd be asking "why" if in his circumstances.

2. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Signed up with ABB 1.5 or so years ago. Get an email and phone call every 3 months or so with the usual it's coming, it's coming.

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Fairy nuff. That certainly wasn't my experience with them. I hope yours improves soon, it only took me a year, and that was frustrating as hell.

4. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

So the fact they are giving us dates that for all we know are bogus is ok in your books as long as they are providing them ?

I seriously don't get how you can stand by and call me out for asking for inner workings after reading what has been going for near on 4 years. So as long as they keep postpoing the go-live date it's all good, no reason need be given.

Thank you. Exactly, nothing has happened in over a year now but a reason why is apparently asking for the secret codes to the NBN.

Click to view full size!

Been this way since I signed up. It's not their fault. But if I ask why I'll get scolded again

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  5. iinsom

iinsom Member

So hopefully they should use the existing outlets? We've currently got one in the loungeroom (which was exclusively for foxtel) and one in the bedroom (which is currently connected to my modem, and used to have a splitter for foxtel as well) which i assume are connected to the existing box on the outside of the building.

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Given that you already have HFC cabling, due to Foxtel, they will reuse that if its still fit for purpose. Whether the splitter is involved to get the bedroom outlet active, I have no clue. They may just terminate at the lounge room, whichever is closer to the box. Perhaps they may do a pull through to the bedroom if requested?

7. iinsom

iinsom Member

We have 2 active outlets currently

Loungeroom (nothing connected, foxtel D/C)
    Bedroom (currently connected to telstra cable router/modem thingy)

Im hoping they use the bedroom outlet so the modem will go in there.

Thanks for your replies ratz + caspian, makes a bit more sense now.

8. caspian

caspian Member

I have no issue with the idea of "correct at time of issued" data that gets updated periodically, no.

if things are delayed - you know, by things like a change of government dictating an entirely different technology be used, with all of the development lead time, vendor selection, testing, systems integration, installation and other stuff that needs to happen to make your connection available to - just little stuff like that - yeah, I don't have a problem with it as long as they keep informing people.

you know, like periodically updating the public website, and making a call centre available for direct inquiries if needed. if only they'd thought of that.

you want a reason? because incredibly complex engineering projects don't just happen and work magically. consider yourself duly informed. any further complaints will be deemed vexatious.

9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Bedroom seems the most likely scenario, or at least a valid option, since it already has an active connection.

Don't take my advice, I'm guessing.
    I have no knowledge of telecommunications whatsoever beyond my own limited (to my own premises) experience, and discussions with the various techs who have attended my own premises.

Caspian may know more but not sure if its really his dept. either. The fact that it has an active cable connection though means that you already have HFC to the socket, so no rewiring should be required unless there is a fault.

10. caspian

caspian Member

I have little to do with HFC, but my understanding is they reuse the internals if they are OK. they would need to check the signal level at the desired socket though, if it's high then adding an attenuator is easy, if it's low then I don't know what the policy is on disconnecting additional sockets vs fitting a booster. if it came to disconnection though, I can't see why they would care which one was left connected as long it worked.

I'd just tell the installer what was there so they know what they are working with, and where you'd prefer the modem to go, and work with them.

11. isaakk

isaakk Member

Hey mate, didn't see this until just now sorry, hugely appreciate the offer!

All good now though thankfully! Had the tech around this afternoon, turns out they jumpered the wrong pair so was active on our second unused line. All fixed now, syncing at 44/20Mbps on a 50/20 plan which could probably be improved with new internal wiring, but coming from a 3.5/0.4Mbps service, difference is almost unbelievable. :)

12. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Your defence of this incredibly complex engineering project that has seen no movement for ages is beyond reproach. No wonder this whole NBN has been a mess from the start. Seems like you may have taken one too many support calls.

Alas, I'm out. Was that enough vexatious for you ?

13. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Man you need to take a timeout...

14. iinsom

iinsom Member

I figured as such. I just wasnt sure if they were the same technology or not (as in using the same connections, cable etc)

We're not slated for RFS till Dec, so its still a fair way away yet.

How does it work with the tech coming out to install? My other half has nfi so ill have to get a day off to get it sorted.

15. caspian

caspian Member

I can't say, I don't deal with the HFC network operationally, so I don't have that sort of detail.

16. iinsom

iinsom Member

No dramas.

Thanks for the replies either way.

17. shmity

shmity Member

caspian any idea of the FttC install process? Im in a rental that has had cable for at least the last 5 years, but prior to that they had two phone lines running. Will I get the opportunity to specify which line its attached to? The original line to the property comes to the bedroom where as the other goes to the lounge which would be more appropriate.

18. caspian

caspian Member

to my knowledge you don't at the moment. when the network build is done they cut in the first line to the premises by default.

19. mareke

mareke Member

Your post brings up an issue that I'll have in relation to FTTN when it's connected to my townhouse in the next year or two and also a similar issue in my rental property which is already connected to the NBN with FTTN. Both places have a single telephone line in but with two connection points-one in the lounge room and another in a bedroom.

In the townhouse I live in the first telephone socket is in the upstairs bedroom and then there's an extra cable going down the cavity double brick wall to the lounge room. The second telephone socket in lounge room is the one I use for internet. The townhouse is about 300 metres from the pillar & the exchange is 150 metres away as the crow flies so the FTTN speed should be pretty good when the NBN is installed. My rental property is also well placed with the house being only about 25 metres from the pillar and the node cabinet around the block in a quiet dead end street so it should have FTTN speeds as good as it gets.

My first question is would the speed at the first connection point in each place be lowered by the existence of the second connection point?

My second question is given that the FTTN speed in both places should be excellent will there be much drop off in speed at the second connection point and given how both places will have solid speeds due to their favourable location would the second connection point still be usable for internet even with some drop off in speed?

20. caspian

caspian Member

not from your description. there's no star wiring and the modem is at the end of the cable run.

obviously the cable from the first to second sockets needs to be of suitable construction for high frequency DSL, and have no inherent faults, but the additional length of cable alone would not cause speeds to deteriorate markedly - you would probably be looking at 10m or so? that's not going to be significant.