The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Perko

Perko Member

Yeah I did consider it for a while, but I don't have an ADSL router on hand any more, and USB tethering the PC is an adequate workaround for most situations. Also, we were hit by a massive flood in 2016 that put about 500m of the copper between us and the exchange under 1.5m of water, Telstra reworked the pits etc, but I'm not sure of the condition of our line at this point.

I emailed Internode about the acronym salad I got from the tech support rep and they emailed straight back and said that it's definitely a cell upgrade issue and not CVC related.

2. caspian

caspian Member

3. Perko

Perko Member

Thanks, that's a thread I've come across before during my initial testing. AussieBB have piqued my interest I must admit, on the surface they seem like the Internode of 10-15 years ago.

4. Sleepyz7z

Sleepyz7z Member

At work I (up until recently) had a standard landline with no other services on it (i.e. no ADSL2+, as I've been using 4G). The nbn is available via FTTN; address serves 4 units and has an MDF. I recently ported my landline number to a VSP and use them to forward calls to a mobile. I'm planning to leave it like this as it's quite handy having everything on one phone.

Now in nearish future, I want to get an FTTN service hooked up to accommodate data volumes, but I'm wondering what happens from the NBN's point of view. When they come to provision the service at an address which recently had an active landline/voice service, and has an MDF, do they just provision to the MDF? Do I then have to get a registered cabler to jumper my service?

5. caspian

caspian Member

yep. the Telecommunications Act defines the MDF as the network boundary. no different than its ever been for a copper line.

6. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

Is there any way to force an NBN tech to come out and check the stability of my line to the node in person? Because I'm really just getting over the handling of it. Straight from the ABB techs mouth, "As long as the connection reaches the minimum speed, and is stable enough with a "stability profile" added, they won't send a tech." I had my line speed drop 13Mb/s for no reason after my connection dropped for a full 24 hours, and since then it's been even worse. Apparently there was "no work done or any changes detected" at my node. I started at 66Mb/s sync speed, and now it's gone down to 38Mb/s, with NO reason, and NO changes on my end at all.

To me, that screams of NBNco just saying "we dont give a shit".

I've started keeping a log of every time my connection drops out now, and so far, we're up to once a day, for ~5 minutes each time. I was told it sounds like an "authentication error", so I re-apply the internet settings on my router and there's no change each time no matter what I do. Even tried a factory reset on it yesterday, which did nothing. ABB said that they have an "open" connection or along those lines, which meant they could detect the router being plugged in, but didn't know why it wasn't working. ABB has honestly been great, they've done everything they can from their end it sounds like, but NBNco just isn't willing to play ball.

7. caspian

caspian Member

an onsite tech cannot achieve anything that a remote assurance person can do to assess stability.

yep. stability refers to maintaining a connection. you are describing a loss of performance, and like any best-effort connection, that means the line has to achieve at least the defined minimum, variations above that don't count.

industry standard practice the world over. people have been discussing the same thing with ADSL2+ for most of 15 years. it's a best-effort service, if you want a guaranteed performance service then you need to be prepared to pay for one - and it's a lot more.

your connection needs to drop at least 5 times a day before it is considered unacceptable. don't even think of disturbing your connection deliberately to breach that, the remote assurance staff have tools to detect that sort of behaviour. and even if you did manage to defraud the system, any tech that arrives won't find anything to fix because there's nothing actually wrong. you'll be fined an incorrect callout fee for time wasting and the tech will leave without doing anything.

8. Sleepyz7z

Sleepyz7z Member

Thanks, just wondering if anything had changed post-nbn.

9. caspian

caspian Member

nope, NBN is just another wholesale entering the market, subject to the same legislation. it makes sense, because you can't expect a carrier to take on ownership and maintenance of cabling they didn't design or install, and when you've got more than one company running services across individual pairs in the sheath, potentially including stuff the telco doesn't even supply, like front door intercoms and door releases etc.

it kind of sucks as the service lessee because there's noone to offer complete end-to-end installation and assurance for your service, but that's what happens in a community titled environment where there is a communally owned sector of the delivery mechanism. it's private property, but communally owned by a committee. and it well said that a camel is a horse designed by a committee.

10. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Hey caspian,

We're looking to lab up a simulated FTTN site within our office for VDSL testing / troubleshooting and as our building already has NBN fibre, we're told we can't order a copper VDSL service.

Thoughts other than P-2-P wireless to a copper serviced building?

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

what are you testing? you can buy VDSL test equipment, if you're just testing the 'last mile' and want to test modems/etc.

if you're testing for how will my users fair on a xMbps yms link, there's other things out there for that, software or hardware based.

12. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

A bit of both, simulated end user experiences, and procedural creation for things like troubleshooting VDSL retrains / state polling for a C867-VAE-K9 and experimenting with the polled MIBs for our monitoring platform.

Sure easier to have the incumbent do the NTU to DSLAM managment, 1 stop shop for line stats and fault remediation with end to end visibility with the ability to do open short from the DSLAM on one phone call.

With NBN being dropped in the mix, incumbent loses visibility of DSLAM ECC / CRC / open short testing and NTU responsibility, part of this comes back to us so it's ideal if we can stand up a sandbox.

13. caspian

caspian Member

a number of the larger NBN RSPs have their own NBN supplied sandbox DSLAMs that could possibly be used for testing if you approached them.

14. Beardshaw

Beardshaw Member

My NBN is due the end of June (so they say). FTTN and I am approximately 300m cable length from the node. Looking at going with ABB as they seem to have some of the best reviews. Anyone got any recommendations on modem/router combo. I live in a large 2 story house and I have been looking at purchasing the D-Link 4320L. Anyone have any recommendations on other devices?

15. Munki

Munki Member

Does this mean HFC services are continuing to be rolled out? Should we trust the ETA on the NBN website, or could it potentially be available earlier than estimated? Just asking because I think they've completed the installations to the homes in our townhouse complex, but not sure what else we need to wait for now before we can get connected. I'm assuming it's a lot of back-end upgrades?

16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Probably best to stick with the ABB supplied router (for support reasons), and use WiFi extenders for upstairs. The supplied Netgear router doesn't get great reviews, but works fine on my 100/40 connection, providing full speed at the PC's on the other end of the house. I run full wireless, no cables anywhere, with up to 6 devices running at times. No complaints at all with it, simple reliable and effective. Mine is a small house though, maybe a EoP extender if needed? Upstairs, cheapest solution would be EoP to an quality upstairs distribution point.

Best solution is the Ubiquiti setup apparently.. provided you want to spend the dosh. I don't personally think its worth it for my use case, your mileage may vary.

I'll add my recommendation for ABB, their service is impeccable and my 100/40 HFC connection provides a reliable >95/37 (mostly better, never worse) 24/7, never seen any signs of congestion or dropouts.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  17. silencio

silencio Member

Is there a fault threshold or clearly defined escalation path for RSPs to get NBN to look at a FTTN street unit that may be faulty?

18. caspian

caspian Member

yes they are still being rolled out. the website is the best source of data, but it may change (either forwards or backwards) so you need to keep checking. what needs doing is very dependent on the area, so there's not a common timeline.

your RSP has reporting paths for any fault affecting your service. what makes you think there is a fault with the node itself?

19. silencio

silencio Member

I'm not convinced it's the node, but chatting to the NBN techs who came out to investigate, their story is that a lot of connections on that node are unreliable. RSP has applied stability profile to our line, have upgraded internal cabling from MDF to 1st outlet* (cat.6 STP), tried 3 modems from RSP, dropouts are still incessant.

*NBN techs tested this and found no cause in the copper from the node to the 1st TO.

20. caspian

caspian Member

doubtful the node is the issue, most drop issues are in the copper network. but that's not the RSP's issue to manage, they should rereport the service issue if your connection is still dropping. it's NBN's issue to figure out why and address it.