The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Munki

Munki Member

Cheers. Hopefully there's not much left to do and I'll be connected by the end of the year...I'm really sick of this 3Mbit flaky ADSL2.

2. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

That's what every-body said about Dart Internet :p

3. silencio

silencio Member

Latest is that field techs decided there was a faulty card in the DSLAM (again), and also an iffy copper joint at a pillar. This same copper that was apparently tested a couple of weeks ago and passed with flying colours. Still no sync, but it's been sent back to the ISP as complete.

Almost at the point of shelling out >$30k for ISP fibre.

4. caspian

caspian Member

the field techs have no way of making that determination. every field tech I've ever spoken to would prefer to believe an issue is in the electronics because it's easier to blame something else than admit there's something they can't find in their domain.

send me your address and I'll see if I can take a look.

5. Sleepyz7z

Sleepyz7z Member

Anyone know why FTTN/B are the odd ones out when it comes to presenting the customer with an ethernet interface? HFC, FW, FTTC, Sat and FTTP all have an NBN-provided cpe if I'm not mistaken, which must go some way to simplifying support. How come NBN didn't make a deal with some manufacturer to produce a single port VDSL2 modem?

Remember this badboy?

6. Pugs

Pugs Member

Cause most people just need a basic 4 port modem/ router that works...

I chose my RSP on HFC specifically because they let me byo my own router and more so because I didn't need a phone option for the house

7. caspian

caspian Member

there's no way the end user could install their own satellite or wireless system due to the complexities of the external antenna. much the same applies for fibre due to the need for fibre hygiene, plus the optical leadin has to be installed anyway, so NBN are already going inside the premises. plus there is the consideration of the multi-service ports available on wireless and fibre... to be able to reach out and configure a service on a port the device needs to be under NBN's management, so they supply it.

HFC is potentially easier (and I'm not a HFC expert), but there is the consideration of adjusting the signal level to the modem if required - it might need an attenuator or amplifier fitted.

FTTC was originally going to be on a supply-your-own model much the same as FTTN, but NBN would still have had to provide the reverse power feeder and assorted cabling. between the advantages of having an NBN managed NTD, the minor delta cost of providing NTD functionality too on top of the RPU cost, and the simplicity and elegance of the combined unit (harder to get the self-install wrong) the decision to go with the supplied unit was made.

ideally FTTN would have also had a standard modem supplied (or at least made optionally available), but given the industry has had three years to roll their own solution and has largely settled around something that meets their needs, I suspect that ship has sailed.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Pugs likes this.
  8. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    I have one of those sitting on the other side of the room now!

Not connected to anything, mind you...

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  9. silencio

silencio Member

Thanks for the offer, although it seems like the last tech visit may have actually done something useful. At about 1028 UTC on Friday it came good and has been up since then with no resyncs, which is the best it's ever been. (Red = periods when sync was unattainable)

sync_drops.jpg

Is there a hard and fast number of sync drops that's within spec for a service? On least one occasion when our ISP reported sync drops on the line, NBN 1st level support decided that the performance between May 14 and May 16 (inclusive) was acceptable and pushed the ticket back to the ISP.

bryn likes this.
  10. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Sometimes things need to fail completely before they are fixed properly. Same thing happened to my brother's FTTN service, mind you his is @ 950m line length. Once it went from flakey to dead they were able to find a definite fault in a copper join.

11. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Looks like NBN have pushed back thr rollout in my area to mid 2020. The good news is they've changed the plan from HFC to FTTC. I just hate that I'm going to be stuck with Telstra for another year.

Sanity_Smith likes this.
  12. caspian

caspian Member

as a short answer yes - the service should lose sync no more than 5 times per day.

the fine print yada yada -it's not a guaranteed SLA though, it's an non-binding agreement to investigate. the ISP has to prove the issue exists using NBN's provided test systems (RADIUS logs do not count), they need to have done a complete isolation test to sectionalise the potential fault into NBN's network, the tools can differentiate between a genuine dropout vs one caused by something like powercycling the modem, and the ISP also has to prove the issue exists while the service is configured for the stable profile provided for the use of stabilising services. if the ISP hasn't done all of these perquisites to raising a ticket, it will be rejected.

chip likes this.
  13. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    That's interesting. Now I'm curious.

How could they tell the difference between power cycling a modem and, say, an intermittent copper connection? Wouldn't both just show as a loss of connection to the modem?

14. caspian

caspian Member

the events have quite recognisably different signatures.

Pugs likes this.
  15. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

I gave up with my ISP and went to the TIO to get more leverage. I'm 12+ weeks in with no fix and NBN says the connection is 'stable' :( At least I'm getting my connection for free and it is 'usable' except for 30 - 1 hours pockets here and there. 3 x 30 mins outages (with multiple dropouts) including one that dropped my speeds from 60/20 to 20/1 today alone.

ABB customer complaints manager escalates to NBN with all this data - NBN rejects cos my line is stable *repeated facedesk*

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  16. KosTanzA

KosTanzA Member

[​IMG]

That box contain NBN? If so its across road from my house

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Its just a box. They like to put them in places where there is no NBN, just to get your hopes up. They have fridges in them, the NBN vans will occasionally stop there for lunch.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Ck21, CQGLHyperion, fredhoon and 2 others like this.
  18. caspian

caspian Member

that looks like a power distribution housing.

Opticon likes this.
  19. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

With a fridge in it.

20. iinsom

iinsom Member

Id actually prefer this over NBN gear, as long as there is beer in said boxes.