1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

what sync speeds does your modem show?

2. caspian

caspian Member

I really don't get the hate for HFC. I'd be delighted to have it. no line length issues or potential for interference like FTTN ( and which includes FTTC to an extent), a lot cheaper and faster to deliver than FTTP, and quite adequate bandwidth once DOCSIS 3.1 is delivered.

Luke212 and Pugs like this.
  3. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I've seen reports on Twitter of people getting installation timeframe with tech site visit estimates of between now and end of the year, effectively suggesting they're scheduled to visit any time within the next 6 months.

4. power

power Member

so would i, anything would be better than my trashed adsl

i was talking to the neighbour yesterday and he confirmed his adsl had also gone to shit since nbn have been working in the area and he's on a different telco to me.

5. caspian

caspian Member

that would be for network build and drop installation time, which is not a service installation. it's a notification of the timeframe for the entire suburb-level area to be enabled.

Pugs likes this.
  6. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

So tell me about TC-2 on HFC..... fit for purpose my ass ;)
    PR118 Q4-2018

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  7. caspian

caspian Member

fit for purpose doesn't mean it does every single thing every single person wants it to do at time of deployment. it means it does what it was designed to do.

8. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

That's me!!!

No wait, that's one of my ranga brethren.

9. Copie

Copie Member

(looks at my NBN connection via FTTP and giggles like a schoolgirl)

sammy_b0i and Pugs like this.
  10. BAK

BAK Member

Certainly agree. No point having individual threads about user experiences with NBN...

11. power

power Member

something similar happened to my mum.

it may not be a delay it may be bad data in nbnco's system.

try calling a Telco like Telstra and seeing if you can be connected. Don't wait until co-existence ends if that's what you are in atm.

12. oculi

oculi Member

No idea, looks like I can't log into my modem. I'll get the L/P next time I talk to the ISP.

13. caspian

caspian Member

or PM me the street address of the service and I'll get it from my end.

14. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Got NBN FTTN connected last week monday (Canning Vale)

[​IMG]

15. caspian

caspian Member

interesting afternoon at work... saw a genuine 1000/400 sync rate on a decent length of copper. very impressive.

Aratahu, TheWedgie and Pugs like this.
  16. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Is is just me or does FTTN get the best pings? Even testing the mix of technologies at client's homes FTTN always seems to have great pings.

17. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

How long are we talking about and was there throughput to confirm it was genuine?
    Was new technology being trialed?
    Very interesting stuff if bog standard stuff being used.

18. oculi

oculi Member

well my ISP is giving me the shits, finally got through to them today and they said "the upstream provider has closed the issue as the when they put the connection on "slow mode" it was stable for 24 hours"

I said "when did they tell you that?" them: "on the 8th of July" me: "why didn't anyone tell me that? I specifically asked you less than a week ago to let me know by phone or email the outcome of the ticket" them: *crickets chirping* I said not happy jan for all the good that will do.

I'm still getting a bunch of dropouts so they are raising another ticket.

PM sent, I was going to get the modem details but they said then they wouldn't be responsible for "the modem getting hacked" so I said forget it, I think the modem is junk too so after the next round of excuses i'll get them to refund my money and get something else.

mine sucks, but it might be broken at the moment.

19. Perko

Perko Member

It's pretty good, very low jitter too. The arguments against FTTN aren't about current performance levels though. Maintenance/network power usage/upgrade path etc are the main issues that have been raised for years.
    The FTTP connections in Launceston I've played with get better pings to the main metros, but the POI for the North is located there, and the FTTN connections that I see have to go around 100km through the exchanges etc to get back there - ie. apples and oranges to a degree. If I come across an FTTN user in Launceston I'll check back in, but I would imagine it would be two parts of bugger all.

20. caspian

caspian Member

the difference in latency over the last-mile access from the premises to the node across FTTN versus FTTP approaches zero at the distances involved. once it hits the node then there is effectively no difference at all - in fact FTTN goes via one additional switch compared to FTTP. any difference is far more likely to be the result of the RSP.

how long is a function of cable construction - insulation, conductor gauge, twist rate etc. let's just say long enough to be useful for FTTC. you don't need throughput to confirm performance, the translation between connectivity and throughput is well understood. yes, existing technology. I also saw some figures on the next-gen stuff which will do 5Gbps over copper, but not the hardware. pretty short reach though, typical use case would be for horizontal backbone in an MDU.

Aratahu likes this.