The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

2. caspian

caspian Member

your line is currently running at 37/11Mbps so it's not your line at issue. your CVC hit 100% utilisation at about 7:15pm and stayed there until just before 11pm, and that's just what your RSP's wholesaler sends towards me - no idea how much traffic they were dropping inside their own network before that. I also have no visibility of the state of any link between your RSP and the wholesaler.

personally I'd be looking at another ISP, and this is an example of why I prefer not to use resellers. you can't talk to the organ grinder.

[edit] fixed wrong time

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    oculi likes this.
  3. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Moved house. Get ADSL hooked up.

Next day get an email from Telstra saying congrats the NBN is now ready.

Call them all excited. Nope. Shouldn't have got the email.

Good one.

power likes this.
  4. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Gone from 110 mbps Cable to 11mbps ADSL :(

NBN couldn't come soon enough. 0.7 mbps upload too, kills!

5. oculi

oculi Member

Thanks!

I've read up on CVC a little bit, does that mean they shape after 100% is hit? sounds like a shit system for all concerned.

only reason I picked this one was price (like when I was on TPG adsl which was ok after I sorted all the problems, most of which were in my house) $60 a month will only get me 12/1 with a bigger ISP so as much as I would like to get close to "50/20" if it is faster than 12/1 that and stops dropping out i'll probably stick with them.

think i'll order a new modem tonight though, after the tech does whatever today.

6. callan

callan Member

The N17 and N18 routers perform radically differently with WiFi, I believe. I don't use the WiFi in the router: have separate access points for that so I can't personally comment.
    What I CAN say, though is that although I was getting great throughput through the 100/40 HFC connection with the ABB-supplied Netcomm modem I replaced it with a different, far more powerful router (Synology RT2600ac), and a Cisco ATA for VOIP. (There were some things I needed to do that just couldn't be done with the Netcomm unit - most notably wireless failover.)
    I wasn't expecting it, but general response when surfing etc. did noticeably improve: more than placebo or confirmation bias would suggest": the whole experience was significantly "snappier" (on wired connections). DNS response times most likely: dunno.

Callan

7. caspian

caspian Member

CVC is the bandwidth allocation that the access seeker buys from NBN to carry their services. it's left up to the access seeker to manage how many services they put in that CVC (i.e. what contention rate they want to run) because that's a major cost to their business, and leaving that decision to them lets them structure their service offerings how they want - they might want to do all-you-can-eat for a cheap price, or higher-quality for a higher cost etc.

what people fail to understand is that the same concept has always existed with Telstra Wholesale ADSL services, called the AGVC charge, as separate to the per-service charge. there are some technical distinctions in terms of where the traffic control occurs, but the effect and the need for the access seeker to budget for it both financially and technically is essentially the same. the main difference is that TW structured their network with a per-state gateway, whereas the ACCC required NBN to build 121 gateways (called POIs) nationally, and the access seekers now need to purchase CVC at every one they want to service, which can be less cost efficient. against that, it also means the access seekers can more selectively choose what areas to service, as opposed to a whole state at a time.

I'm long over the complaints about CVC for several reasons. the cost of providing the service won't go away, so even if it was renamed or bundled with something else, that's all it would be - a cosmetic change. we had that with "naked DSL" services, people wondered why ISPs promised "no phone line rental!!!" and then strangely the services cost about the same anyway. the reason was that the copper pair rental was still there as always, they just bundled it into the service cost to hide it as a marketing ploy. secondly, both the industry and the consumers need to stop pointlessly and irrelevantly comparing the price of an NBN service with a legacy ADSL one, when the NBN service offers far greater performance - it's going to cost more to get more. and finally, as I said above, conceptually CVC is not a new idea for the access seekers to have to deal with, they've been dealing with it for TW ADSL for coming up on two decades now - it's just a more granular implementation.

yep, and there are input cost reasons that drive that outcome. providing a quality service with adequate CVC resourcing, and other things like decent onshore support etc all cost money.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    oculi likes this.
  8. cvidler

cvidler Member

they don't shape you (or any other customer), it's just the the connection from the NBN network to the RSP network is full, so you can't get through.
    [​IMG]

Pugs, fredhoon and TheWedgie like this.
  9. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

caspian could you assist with an issue via PM pls

10. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

[​IMG]

11. oculi

oculi Member

Well that was interesting, an NBN tech (working for techstream? something like that) was here for ages, re-twisted and crimped my phone cable to the one from the telstra box, then re crimped the connection in the telstra box, then did something at the node (which is ~800 metres away as the copper flies) then ran a test and got 36/11.

Then he called NBN and had them run a check (with my modem plugged in) they were getting faster upload speeds than down speeds and said there was a wiring fault in the house, then they ran the test with his test modem plugged in and the wiring fault went away, he said something along the lines of he couldn't tell me that my modem was shit, but it was strange that the house wiring problem went away when my modem wasn't plugged in.

A commented that I bet he wished we got FTTP everywhere but I guess the way it is will keep people employed twisting shitty bits of copper for the next few years.

I've ordered a Billion BiPac 8700AXL-1600 so will see if that works any better.

On an unrelated note the wifi card in this PC is total garbage, unless there is a sheet of lead in the wall between it and the router.

12. caspian

caspian Member

the CVC itself exists inside the NBN network, and extends from the POI to the individual nodes, although the bandwidth limiting is only applied inside the core ethernet network. doubtful though whether they would dimension the external connectivity from their POP to the POI to anything greater than the CVC could carry, it would be wasted.

there was a drive in recent months to get ISPs to start buying enough CVC to do the job, the 50/20 speed tier promotion with bundled CVC capacity helped a lot. they did the same thing for 100/40 but 50/20 was the sweet spot in terms of maximum discount from normal, and it was priced very competitively compared to a 25/5 connection that can retail at about the same price as legacy ADSL2+ (although some providers still stinged on the CVC). there was a lot of backslapping when the volume of CVCs showing ingress discards due to traffic exceeding PIR dropped to a tiny proportion, but I am less convinced that the access seekers aren't just shaping traffic inside their own networks. when I look at a CVC that ran last night at 99% utilisation for four hours straight without discards even reaching 0.01%, Blind Freddy can tell what is going on.

hit me.

13. caspian

caspian Member

well that would explain the phantom bridge tap your tech said wasn't there, anyway. not seen that one before.

oculi and Pugs like this.
  14. oculi

oculi Member

Yeah it's pretty weird. His test rig took ages to connect just like my modem does so I don't think it is over yet. Keen to see how the new modem goes when it arrives.

15. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Node box and phone pillar went in about a year and a half ago, but the NBN website says its still at least another 6 months away.
    Not bothered anymore, moving house in a month, unfortunately to an area that isn't supposed to get NBN until Jan-March 2019 :(

16. oculi

oculi Member

Billion modem just arrived, and I'm typing this through it, pretty good considering it got sent fairly late yesterday afternoon, good work for a change Austpost!

best speeds yet I think, but would have to check the logs to know for sure.

[​IMG]

now to see if the dropouts go away.

EDIT: lol nope, just dropped out @10 minutes after I typed the above.

EDIT 2: but my wifi is fixed, maybe the humax was single band and the 5,000,000,000 Hz part of my wifi card works better.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  17. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Got a tech booked in for the 7th, Im so excited

Not sure why they need to send a tech, Im sure I could plug in the connection device

18. caspian

caspian Member

your ISP's choice. self-install is available, I've had two workmates DIY in the last fortnight.

19. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Maybe Ill contact the ISP and see if I can do it, maybe that will speed up the process

20. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

It won't but it saves you waiting around for the guy to come round. The date they give you is the best you will get, you can't get it pushed forward but it can be delayed.