The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. tHor's_Hammer

tHor's_Hammer Member

I am lucky enough to have HFC running on the overhead wires over the footpath. I've recently moved back to my place and am trying to decide if I go with cable internet or back to ADSL.

As we did a knock down and rebuild we have all new wiring and are yet to have a landline reconnected (i've kept my port on the local exchange by keeping my TPG subscription). I live in Knoxfield VIC (3180).

Is there a speed map available somewhere on the web to indicate what connection speeds my neighbours might be getting with both ADSL and HFC cable? I'm a loooong way from my local (Scoresby) exchange (marginal distance). I seem to remember seeing on some website a calculation of this distance and likely ADSL speed range.

2. G-Man

G-Man Member

Came home from an O/S job to an NBN connection. FTTN I believe, but can someone explain what is going on with my uploads? Customer support said things along the lines of "It's already been upgraded in our system" and "We might have to escalate this" But I just assumed the downloads & uploads would be switched together. Is there even a 1mb tier on NBN? Should be closer to 20 up right?

[​IMG]

EDIT: Oh and for some reason on the upload test it can take up to 10 full seconds before it starts uploading anything. What's with that? Like the little loading bar/stripe only starts going up after it gets halfway across the screen...

3. Copie

Copie Member

Have you tried turning it off and on again

oculi likes this.
  4. Sleepyz7z

Sleepyz7z Member

Worth ensuring you have no upstream rate limiting anywhere in your devices. A few cases I've seen where people have forgotten they implemented a limiter and forgot about it.

5. G-Man

G-Man Member

Not sure if serious, but yes. Yes I have.
    Had a bit of a chuckle when this was also suggested while on hold on the customer support line.

6. G-Man

G-Man Member

Happens with all devices on network, so I decided to check the router settings (Call me lazy for not checking before, figured brand new modem should be fine right?)

Found this:
    bandwidth.PNG
    Lo and behold:
    [​IMG]

So they crippled the modem before they gave it to us. WTF?

Cheers mate, probably wouldn't have thought to check that at least for a while without the push.

CptVipeR likes this.
  7. caspian

caspian Member

or... it's not a brand new modem?

good find.

8. G-Man

G-Man Member

Came pre-configured with our username/password so maybe it happened then? who knows. Just glad it's fixed.

9. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Speak to your neighbours or sign up to both on no contract plans and compare side by side.

10. Pugs

Pugs Member

11. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Just use Telstra and pay the extra $11 for the speedboat guarantee, then when it's congested make a call and lodge a complaint if it isn't perms fixed go TIO. Problem solved i
    Within 2 months.

12. tHor's_Hammer

tHor's_Hammer Member

13. tHor's_Hammer

tHor's_Hammer Member

I thought it had been shown Speedboost makes no difference?

14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

contractually promising a service and not delivering is illegal in Australia, TIO + ACCC

My line is HFC, recently NBN was in the area doing modifications and my service went to poo, 4 weeks and some too and fro with Telstra via TIO (after initial complaint) and a service man/person was sent out, line is now 100/5 100% of the time.

PS - they also fucked up (2018 Jan) by switching me to NBN without my permission even after 3 phone calls saying they could do I insisted I was not required until June 2018 at the time, now Telstra has buckled and you don't "have" to be NBN to use HFC for now.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  15. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Telstra HFC (non NBN) is 50/5 without speedboost. With speedboost, it's 100+/5... I'm on non NBN HFC and I get between 110-115 down consistently. Neighbour who has no speedboost, gets 55 down consistently

16. caspian

caspian Member

that's a fault condition, not congestion. if the HFC segment is indeed congested then the most a TIO complaint will get you is a no-penalty contract exit, not a fix.

fredhoon's suggestion is the only one available to check for the specific question that was asked.

17. caspian

caspian Member

is that a TPG Huawei HG659?

18. G-Man

G-Man Member

TP-Link Archer VR1600v

19. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

You will most likely get way better speeds with HFC.. If you want to pm your address, I can check tomorrow at work what speeds via Telstra

20. caspian

caspian Member

how can you check for segment congestion or peak throughput speeds, unless you've got TR.143 test capability or something like a SHARK test robot in place?

and how would you establish what segment a user is on compared to another?