The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Goldminer

Goldminer Member

hmm you're getting confused by signal from it's original analog domain with the frequency domain!...

I guess we are refering to the same thing, you just call it a central splitter...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. oculi

oculi Member

3. Goldminer

Goldminer Member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  4. cvidler

cvidler Member

/grabs popcorn.

5. caspian

caspian Member

looks good to me. :thumbup:

6. caspian

caspian Member

let me ask another way - what does a splitter do? the device you posted a pic of has two basic functions.

now, let's say you no longer have any POTS signal on the line. what does that device do now?

7. Goldminer

Goldminer Member

it will be redundant, but i'll probably keep mind for now and see what happens...

8. oculi

oculi Member

those numbers do, speeds and pings are all over the place though, just congestion I guess. Is there a site that will run the test every hour for 24 hours or so? dunno. At least it isn't dropping out anymore.

Wanna buy some elephant repellent?

MrSnuffy likes this.
  9. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Something like this?

10. oculi

oculi Member

no more like a website that has a button that you click and it runs a speedtest every hour for 24 hours.

11. Pugs

Pugs Member

Line filter... not a true central filter... only would count if you only had one TO..

12. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

13. caspian

caspian Member

automated testers like that just make congestion worse. Phil Britt got flamed for saying so fairly recently, but he was dead right. https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2680505

depending on the circumstances, maybe. or it may be highly beneficial.

this is the point I've been gently making. filters are an engineered solution to a defined problem. they aren't magic, adding one won't just make things better unless it is applied correctly. and unless you understand how they work, what problem they address, how (and where) to fit them, and the possible alternatives, you risk spending a couple of hundred bucks and achieving nothing, or greater cost than you needed bear.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  14. caspian

caspian Member

Stephen Rue is the new CEO as of 1 September. not that I expect it to make much difference.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  15. roger895

roger895 Member

Hi All,
    I am an unfortunate soul stuck with FTTN (around 1.3-1.5km from the node).

Recently, work has commenced between my house and the node which looks to be the installation of a new node (just off the main road in a relatively short side street).

What are the chances of my connection moving from my current node to the closer one that might be going in (which is around half the distance away)?

16. caspian

caspian Member

depends entirely on the cable run, but possible. node migrations are done. it's done strictly on engineering grounds though, you can't request it.

17. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

What is your sync speed and line stats? Those would be the most helpful in determining if they need to drop a new node in or not.

Pics also help so people like Caspian can easily identify what they are actually doing.

18. roger895

roger895 Member

It looks like they've installed some new pits between the existing and where the new one might be going, too. I can get pics of what they have done so far and report back.

Currently syncing at around 26mbit down. Stats below:
    [​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

19. Hive

Hive Member

Am i reading it right - Attenuation 272 (0.1db) - i.e. that's 27.2db?

Every day i need to restart my modem. Takes about 5 minutes to sync (Tested like 5x different broadcom modems and all the same) Interestingly, a lantiq chipset syncs almost instantly, it syncs much higher on the download but lower on upload, meh

Syncs at 36Mbit, each hour that passes it drops down and keeps going till it settles at 29-30

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  20. caspian

caspian Member

on the basis of that, I will say unlikely. infill DSLAMs only go in to serve lines that can't meet the government 25/5Mbps statement of expectations, and that's post coexistence configuration. you're exceeding that now and end of coexistence will give you a further boost again, and your downstream attenuation suggests you're well within the physical limits where any speed issues would be addressed via a line fix, not a DSLAM change.

sure am.

that's seamless rate adaption at work responding to line noise. ADSL would just drop out and retrain to deal with it, SRA gives VDSL2 an OLR (online reconconfiguration) ability to alter bitrate to alter bitloading to adjust SNR to regain target noise margin on the fly.

if you powecycle the modem and it trains up at a "quiet" noise period then it will train down as noise increases, and then back up as noise decreases (if you leave it long enough). the uptrain is a lot slower than downtrain to prioritise stability.

Hive likes this.