1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. LupinTheThird

LupinTheThird Member

I have similar stats. Over 1.2km from node but my upload isnt as good as yours but the connection is solid as so I can't complain too much. Anyone know why I don't see any upload att
    https://ibb.co/gOKHSp

2. caspian

caspian Member

modem idiosyncracy. anything upstream is measured by the DSLAM port and advertised back. not all modems display that data.

3. caspian

caspian Member

4. Perko

Perko Member

5. caspian

caspian Member

fair way from your place too...

6. Perko

Perko Member

Yeah that's why I can comment jokingly without incriminating myself lol.

7. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

]
    What's a couple cameras worth by comparison, a fraction of a % for the tower installment.

This isn't power infrastructure that's susceptible to domestic terrorism impacting people's health / welfare, NBN doesn't need to redteam their network, they've already got Australian teenagers ;)

8. Perko

Perko Member

BAN SIDCHROME!!!

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

Once all the POTS is gone, it'll be an essential service.

10. caspian

caspian Member

cameras are great until the site is remote and you can't react in time, and the vandals just learn to wear a hoodie and a face mask.

suspect those nuts might get welded on in the future though.

11. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Backup battery on my connection is triggering the warning alarm it needs replacing.
    I don't need to have it replaced, if there is a power blackout then tough... can't use my desktops anyway...lol..
    Is there a way to remove it altogether & not have to worry about it at all?

12. oculi

oculi Member

I'm kinda surprised at the small impact cordless angle grinders have had on the physical security sector, but I guess you need to get your act together enough to charge the batteries, buy the right size cutting discs, remember your safety squints etc, much easier to just use a shifter from the local two dollar shop.

13. cvidler

cvidler Member

Opportunistic vandalism, vs. a deliberate planned action.

Welded nuts will solve 90% of the problem for next to zero extra cost.

This wouldn't have happened with a FTTP network :)
    /runs...

14. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Agreed, although it does give you an idea of an individuals height, build and gate. Like layers on an onion, it's simply a matter of going up the frame to where the bolts aren't welded.

no, it'll just make people use thermite or an oxy cutting torch instead, the on site people will moan about having to weld bolts on a zync coated frame and how they need PPE so you don't end up with a future NBN black lung type scenario, so much cheaper doing FTTP ;)

Never underestimate the stupidity of alcohol fueled teenagers with a socket set, a bottle jack and a pry-bar.

Actually, I'm more keen to understand how NBN had transitioned so many houses so quickly, that's the incredible aspect of this.

Caspian does the home rooftop antenna have such a wide beam angle they can get to extra towers, are towers N+1 or has there been lots of rooftop action readjusting antennas with a SNR meter?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  15. cvidler

cvidler Member

I guess the effort to expend relates to if this was an opportunistic attack, or a conceited effort to sabotage the system - for reasons unknown.

If the latter, than nothing short of 24x7 armed guards will be effective.

It's not like NBN will go, "sorry guys, we didn't know that tower thingy wouldn't appease you, thanks for letting us know in spectacular fashion, we'll put in fibre instead, happy now?".

16. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

There is a way to silence the alarm, something like holding a button for 15 seconds. Google, or have a play around.

EDIT https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2665983

17. caspian

caspian Member

sure, just pull the battery, and silence the alarm with the blue button the front. the instructions are inside the hinged battery cover, I think you hold down the silence button until you get two beeps, then hold for at least another 15 seconds then release for permanent alarm suppression.

to my knowledge this was a transmission repeater tower, not a FW node itself. they got most of the downstream sites back online via replanning the transmission links.

Hotrod2go likes this.
  18. caspian

caspian Member

more likely it will be "oh hi boys, let me introduce to these nice Australian Federal Police officers, who would like to have a chat with you about destruction of government property."

19. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

NBN, we're also ruining your picturesque horizon ;)

20. leighr

leighr Member

And you should see what they've done to the footpath outside work...