The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. oculi

oculi Member

Nothing much to report as my connection has been great since switching to TPG, however I got a charge failure message from FLIPTV who are continuing to deliver the LOLs even though I'm no longer a customer.

Looked up the bill in my toolbox section on their website (which for a change wasn't a corrupt unopenable file) and they have tried to charge me for:

The modem that I sent back to them because it was junk

The full month of august even though I cancelled mid month.

The customer service person said she would look into the modem, and said I was charged for the full month of August BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T CANCELLED MY SERVICE! IT'S STILL ACTIVE!

She will look into that too, I mentioned that I figured they just hadn't charged me out of shame and embarrassment, but she said that was up to management. I'm going to try for a further reduction because I believe you should pay for what you get, might mention google reviews but as their average is currently 2.2 this may not be much of an incentive.

Actually I'm pretty sure they did cancel the connection, I remember it dropping out and not coming back a day before the TPG modem arrived, maybe it was just an extra big dropout?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  2. Perko

Perko Member

Sure, and I know it's not exactly the same thing, but generally the people that would be actively looking to roll over to NBN at this point and earlier would already have a connection, (ADSL, Telstra Wireless or satellite). Maybe not with Skymuster, but you'd assume so within the FW footprint.

3. caspian

caspian Member

sure, but the point I'm making is that ABB choosing not to provide a connection due to pending upgrade works isn't denying anyone a service.

4. connico

connico Member

Lol my connection has been moved from july 2018 --> june 2019 --> June 2020... ahahahah love it

5. MR.355

MR.355 Member

Well after one email iiNet have sent the SIP details it seems!

6. Kosti

Kosti Member

I got my NBN letter stating expect NBN from Now to Dec 2018. Just checked the NBN site, and its states Planned availability: Apr-Jun 2019*.We're continuing to upgrade the nbn™ HFC network in your area.

So does this mean they are going to use HFC and not the copper coming into my premises? I don't want them to touch my HFC and instead go via the copper route, can I push to have this instead of the HFC nbn?

What options do I have, since I am with floptus but use there foxtel offering which I will lose if NBN move my HFC connection over

7. caspian

caspian Member

OK, impressed. :thumbup:

if they're doing HFC in your area then there is no option otherwise. I also can't think why anyone would want DSL over cable?? even if a technology choice option becomes available, I expect it would only be to fibre.

that said, if you're currently using Optus cable, then that will be discontinued and you'll have to move over to the former-Telstra-non-NBN HFC network that presumably exists in parallel. they won't touch the Optus cable, Optus will contractually discontinue service themselves.

8. Kosti

Kosti Member

Oh so Optus will shut down their HFC? and I will have no choice? The only reason I don't want HFC is because I would prefer Fibre damn it..

I don't want DSL over cable, I love my cable so wanted to play dumb to NBN and say no i only have copper at home so avoid losing my HFC via Optus (hope that makes sense) mind you I don't even know if my copper to my house is even connected all I know is conduit is there and a 610 socket

9. callan

callan Member

Optus have been aggressively shutting off their HFC network. Since they almost entirely overbuilt their network to coexist with Telstra's HFC, it is likely that the NBN solution will be HFC. I didn't actually think there was much optus HFC still running TBH, and you may have the option of using Telstra's NON-NBN HFC network(115/5) in the interim.

I actually mourn for the Optus HFC network. We were amongst the first in Australia to be connected to it, with 4 CAU's hooked up to the side of the house running 4 PSTN lines over HFC: 3 for our bulletin board, and one voice. Glen Waverley was a test area.
    We started running 10Mbit data on Optus' cable network at Chez Callan in 2002, using the HFC service that came out of the ashes of the Excite@home network. Singtel had only recently acquired Optus but the rot had not yet set in and Optus was still a 1/2-decent company to deal with then, and 10Mbit in 2002 was a big deal.It was fast, stonkingly reliable and didn't require the customised Telstra client and shitful heartbeat that Telstra's HFC offering then required.

But the network became chronically neglected, oversubscribed and ignored, and Optus successfully hoodwinked Turnbull into buying the clapped-out old girl to NBNCO for $800 million, who subsequently binned the lot (save a tiny bit in QLD)

I am sad for what might have been.

Callan

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  10. caspian

caspian Member

if the NBN website says you're getting HFC, then the only way to access fibre would be to pay for a technology switch once the area goes live, and if a HFC upgrade option is introduced.

11. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Code:
    DSL Config Mode:         AUTO
    Trained Mode:   G.993.2 (VDSL2) Profile 17a
    TC Mode:                 PTM
    Selftest Result:         0x00
    DELT configuration:      disabled
    DELT state:              not running

Full inits:             1
    Failed full inits:      4
    Short inits:            0
    Failed short inits:     1

Firmware        Source          File Name
    --------        ------          ----------
    VDSL            embedded        N/A

Modem FW  Version:      4.12L.08
    Modem PHY Version:      A2pv6F039t.d24m
    Trellis:                 ON                       ON
    SRA:                     enabled                 enabled
     SRA count:              1                       1
    Bit swap:                enabled                 enabled
     Bit swap count:         28                      0
    Line Attenuation:        10.7 dB                  0.0 dB
    Signal Attenuation:       0.0 dB                  0.0 dB
    Noise Margin:            30.6 dB                 22.1 dB
    Attainable Rate:        142929 kbits/s           56071 kbits/s
    Actual Power:             2.4 dBm                -16.6 dBm
    Per Band Status:        D1      D2      D3      U0      U1      U2      U3
    Line Attenuation(dB):   6.4     13.6    20.1    2.4     10.3    15.8    N/A
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 7.6     13.5    20.1    2.4     9.7     15.0    N/A
    Noise Margin(dB):       30.3    30.8    30.6    26.9    20.1    22.9    N/A
    Total FECC:             0                        0

149/56 :shock:

12. caspian

caspian Member

DSLAM must be in the next room or something... effectively zero attenuation. the downstream attenuation is probably just DPBO.

13. connico

connico Member

Are you building it already? If not check in a few months. Mostly they will switch from HFC to FTTc. My area sure did... lol

14. caspian

caspian Member

I don't do HFC, and other than the "Sydney" in your location, I have no idea where you are, so a bit difficult to tell.

there has been some minor reallocation of technologies (and no doubt will continue to be, as new learnings emerge), but "mostly" is definitely not the case.

15. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    Well, crap! Just checked and we've been pushed back again to next year. Originally it was next APR - JUNE 2019, then they got my hopes up by changing to APR - JUNE 2018, then JULY - SEPTEMBER 2018, then OCTOBER - DECEMBER 2018, now back to next year. Every time it gets close, they just push it back another timeslot.

At this rate, by the time they get to us, everyone will be using ansible!

16. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

Well I've finally gotten some results on my constant dropouts. NBN were doing something nearby, a changeover or something the last few days, and the ABB tech said call back on the 15th, because before then NBN will just reject the fault because of "works being done".
    Called this morning, different ABB guy ran some tests, and after a few minutes came back with "Yep there's a fault on NBNs side. It'll be sent through and they'll get a tech out some time in the next week." Finally got some progress, because the dropouts have been getting to the point where I may as well not have internet, because it's down so often.

Here's a typical day in the life of our internet. Bear in mind although this is the day works were being done, that had literally 0 effect on the frequency of the dropouts, it may say Friday, but this has been nearly every day for the last 3 weeks. I've removed anything with an IP in it, luckily my router actually tracks these...

17. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

<cry> I've had the grey box installed on the outside of my house, and the rope has been run in the conduit in the street. The NBN site did have a ETA of April this year, but with the drama around the HFC delays, I now have no ETA listed for my address....

18. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Anybody care to enlighten me on what should be expected when I ring iinet tomorrow morning and complain to them about the 2.3Mbps download speed I've been getting for the past 3 days when I'm supposed to be on the NBN100 (which they say typical speed is 78.5Mbps).

19. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

A ticket lodged for someone to investigate (assuming no internal cabling issues).

You're below the 12mMbps co-existence min speed threshold so if iiNet can prove it's not on their side or your side I suggest it would be referred to the NBN.

20. caspian

caspian Member

my first question is - what sync speed does the modem show? do the speeds vary at different times of day?

as a rule of thumb the NBN FTTN network does not congest. the DSLAM uplinks and core network links are closely and actively monitored for congestion and upgrades planned months in advance of going close to hitting full utilisation. as a result, the copper sync speed is the only potential bottleneck in the network for a user, and thus that's what NBN's speed thresholds tend to focus on unless something quite esoteric is going on.

if throughput is well below what the sync rate can carry, there is another cause at fault.

Madengineer - if you don't have access to the modem, PM me your address and I'll look.