1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Ahh see, that's the strange thing.

Speedtest.net shows my speed at 2.6Mbps (currently) and it definitely feels that, but the modem is reporting a line rate of 22.6 Mbps down, 55 Mbps up.

Connected via Ethernet.

Wifi is the same, but this morning, there was a period where it was 35 Mbps (or there abouts) but it didn't last.

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Could it be a modem problem? Literally nothing has changed on my end for the past 3 days to cause this?

3. caspian

caspian Member

somewhat unusual for the line rate to be 55Mbps upstream (that's pretty close to absolute max possible) but only 22.6Mbps downstream. the former suggests you have full usage of all three upstream frequency bands at full SNR, but yet downstream is strangely restricted.

buggered modem could cause it, so could a firmware setting pushed by your ISP. can you cut and paste the actual DSL stats from the modem? or post a screen shot?

4. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I'll give it a try.

This morning, I'm getting 47Mbps down and 13 up.

Oops wrong numbers :D it was reporting 55 down and 22.6 up. My bad.

I'm getting much closer to that this morning, but give it a couple of hours, and it'll plummet right back down.

upload_2018-9-17_7-48-21.png

5. caspian

caspian Member

your maximum line rate is 120/51Mbps. there's nothing wrong with the line.

the actual data rate, which is what the ordered speed tier limits speed to, is 55/22.6Mbps which is exactly what it should be for a 50/20 service. if you think you've got a 100/40 service then you need to discuss that with your ISP.

you also need to be very careful to distinguish between connectivity speed (line speeds) and throughput (download speed). if your download speed drops but your connectivity speed does not, then that's CVC or ISP network congestion which is your ISP's issue to manage.

6. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

But didn't someone post earlier that the minimum an NBN line should go to (even with congestion) should only be 12Mbps?

7. portstevo

portstevo Member

Minimum sync speed.

fredhoon likes this.
  8. cvidler

cvidler Member

congestion is the RSP's issue. NBN can't do anything about that.

9. caspian

caspian Member

12Mbps is what the NBN network needs to support for a FTTN service on a DSLAM under coexistence. the FTTN core network does not congest, so as long as your DSL sync speed is adequate to support this speed, there is no fault in the NBN network.

your ISP not provisioning adequate CVC capacity to supply you with dataflow is not an NBN matter. NBN do not control that. NBN just provides a high bandwidth pipe from your ISP to you. it's very much up to them to ensure they have sufficient data to pour down the pipe.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  10. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Ok, so basically I need to say to my ISP about supplying more speed?

11. caspian

caspian Member

you need to speak to them about buying more capacity.

12. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

This is crap I'm with iPrimus and the net drops out all the time for a few seconds then re-connects.
    Happens all the time. I contacted them and they just said it is all okay and that I have had a solid connection all the time. When I have a look in my modem/router settings it says I haven't.
    They also said they could see I have an XBox, computers,tablets,phones and TV all hooked up and not to have so many devices.
    Doesn't matter though with just two computers on it still drops out.

When it is going I get around 47mbs if it drops it goes to around 20-15 then 0

50mps is the fastest I can get here so I can not get anymore bandwidth.

Never had this problem with ADSL2+ could connect everything at anytime and there was no problem.

13. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Hey caspian, how easy is it for an RSP to interface with NBN to ascertain if they're exceeding the policer for TC-2, either CIR /CBS.

I've got an interesting scenario where the RSP is doing DSCP based CBWFQ before the hand off to NBN, L3 DSCP tags are correctly appearing on frames from the NBN service - both FTTN / FTTP, although I don't believe the RSP are calculating the worst case 'peak utilisation' small packet size overheads (vlan tag) into the CIR, presently under investigation, mostly general intrigue.

Cheers.

14. caspian

caspian Member

NBN's sales systems prevent access seekers ordering more TC-2 service bandwidth than they have purchased CVC to support, so all going as planned it's not possible to make basic mistakes. :crossedfingers:

in your case, they can certainly send more traffic than there is capacity to carry, but if they send a traffic class for a service not provisioned from it then it will be dropped on ingress, same as if the PIR or burst rate exceeds limits. the service assurance team can look at the service for ingress discards accompanied by 100% utilisation of that TC with their tools.

15. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So my net seems to be going fine now. Getting a consistent 45mbps + download speed. Everything is much snappier

16. caspian

caspian Member

anything happen to change this?

17. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Nope. Not that I'm aware of. I did send them a quick email, but didn't hear anything back.

18. caspian

caspian Member

probably congestion, but interested to hear about the 100Mbps plan versus 50Mbps sync speed.

19. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    Is there any way to find out exactly why the availability date keeps getting pushed back?

20. caspian

caspian Member

complex answer: potentially yes.

short answer: no, and does it matter, as knowing why won't change it?