1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    I have always been one of those who want an explanation. "Because I said so!", was never a suitable answer. Even if a reason won't change the result, it is better to know & understand than get pissed off because of ignorance.

So short answer, knowing will make no change to installation, but less frustration & stress to me. So "yes", it does matter.

2. caspian

caspian Member

there are plenty of things in life you won't ever understand, and just need to accept. this is one.

Pugs likes this.
  3. chip

chip Member

Here I was thinking it was a utility construction project. You make it sound more like the solution to the Poincaré conjecture.

How hard would it be so say "For this one we've found that we have to fix X, Y, Z, and we can't be certain until we start doing it that there won't be more problems. We missed the initial start date because the previous jobs had similar problems."

banshee, CptVipeR and darknebula like this.
  4. banshee

banshee Member

Doesn't mean I have to like it. This sort of poor communication is one of the reasons NBNco has a bad reputation.

There was more work required, but that seems to have been completed. The only thing done in the last 6 months, is to push the install data back another 2 times, with no explanation. And just leaving the status as 'build commenced'.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  5. caspian

caspian Member

you've been given an availability date, and it's been adjusted when required by circumstances. I really don't know what more communication is necessary or relevant at the end user level.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  6. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

i would rather nbnco waste hours of project manglers time writing weekly status reports to every customer than doing real work, whatever project managers actually do.

cvidler likes this.
  7. darknebula

darknebula Member

On the flip side my dates have been brought forward by three months and I would like to know why.

8. caspian

caspian Member

Sanity_Smith, Pugs and Ratzz like this.
  9. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

My dates remain the same, I have been offered no explanation and I demand a refund!

Pugs and caspian like this.
  10. banshee

banshee Member

Just a line on the page where the date was changed that said briefly why it was changed. Although I did sign up for updates, they haven't sent any when the dates were changed, so doing what they said they would, might be a nice start.

I don't want a personal notification or anything like that. Just that if the date is changed on their page, mention why.

11. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

I'm in an area where the timeline has been bumped later and later and later, FTTP loose pissing in the wind timeline from day 0 to 2 years later being bumped again, bumped from june 2018 to june 2019 and the issue and reasoning has been covered quite well on whirlpool articles, I'm not seeing why you have a problem considering the original expectation was and has always been [NBN Australia By 2020], do you have a problem managing your own expectations?

The NBN website was always to advise you when your area was RFS, not a monologue.

12. cvidler

cvidler Member

Yep they are (a utiliity), and regular people are NOT their customers, so don't get the info. Their customers are the ISPs.

Same as you don't get informed of the goings on of power pole installations, or water pipe maintenance, none of your business. If something that does require you attention is required, the notification will come from your elec/water provider not the utility owner/builder.

If you want information talk to the company you pay - the ISP, not NBN.

Pugs likes this.
  13. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

I think the best part, and to throw light on ignorance is that most of the people moaning about NBN are still referring to it as 'NBN co' a name that was dropped in April 2015...

You've had over 3 years of brand consistency, you're failing to refer to the company correctly and are moaning about lack of transparency, have you been living under a rock or are you deliberately trolling?

14. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

ORly?

Their own site still has it as NBN Co (as well as nbn)

https://www2.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/about-nbn-co.html

15. DoCsIs

DoCsIs Member

Anyone know how the HFC activations actually unfold?
    I'm living in a rented unit, which already has a Foxtel cable point in the lounge. NBN HFC is scheduled to go live in October. Do I receive the NBN HFC modem when I sign up to the first ISP? And does the modem stay with the apartment (I'm guessing so)?
    I would imagine that as the apartment is already cabled in, I don't need anyone to attend - but given its an apartment block, is that right? I also saw something about if its an apartment block, strata needs to authorise the install, but I imagine thats only if work needs to be done?

16. chip

chip Member

Eh? Based on my past exeprience in in SA and WA, this information is usually readily available when I've gone looking, Roads, water, electricity, I've always gotten advice from the utility that works are happening in the area, the expected dates, the scope of the interruptions, etc etc. In none of those cases had I technically been the "customer" of the org doing the actual work.

banshee likes this.
  17. banshee

banshee Member

Damn! I thought from what I read when they changed it that it went from NBN -> NBN co! You're saying I've been living under a rock, but what about their own people then? How am I supposed to know what to call them when their own people can't decide what is the right name to use! That's not brand consistency, that's brand inconsistency.

I suppose it is technically correct, but not at all clear. Plus, when you search for their website you get redirected from nbn.com.au to nbnco.com.au. Every company I have dealt with that has changed names like that, changed their website to be their current name, so where in the past I was calling it just nbn, I only recently started calling it nbnco, because that is what it appeared to be changed to.

18. caspian

caspian Member

NBN Co is the Commonwealth Corporations Act registered company name. nbn is the trading name following a rebrand.

it's hardly unique, look at your credit card statement for plenty of examples. in terms of web sites, there's a company called Alphabet Inc which has retained a trading name for one of its subsidiaries that I'm sure most people are familiar with.

there's a set of rules of how to refer to the company in marketing material or legal written correspondence, outside of that refer to it as per personal preference.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    banshee likes this.
  19. caspian

caspian Member

yes and yes. the HFC NTD (the modem) stays at the [edit for clarity] premises just the same as a fibre NTD does. your ISP should supply a router that is your property.

this covers it fairly well. https://innotel.com.au/blog/nbn-self-install-for-hfc-connections/

if you only have one BCO, your setup will look like the second image at https://www.tpg.com.au/support/setup-nbn-hfc/modem-wiring-support.html

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Pugs likes this.
  20. DoCsIs

DoCsIs Member