1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. koopz

koopz Member

Tata is the largest ISP on the planet darknebula

I am happy to be corrected.

it's 2018 now dude...

I lack the skills to tell you the stake that Tata have in NBN currently

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  2. chip

chip Member

Probably close to zero, unless it's been privatised/flogged off and I missed the announcement. NBN Co shares are owned by the Commonwealth.

darknebula likes this.
  3. caspian

caspian Member

NBN is 100% government owned. if that is to change then I have no doubt that a hermit living under a rock in the middle of the Tanami will hear of it in short course.

nbn is wholly owned by the Commonwealth of Australia as a Government Business Enterprise (GBE)
    - https://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/about-nbn-co.html

Tata Consultancy Services is just one of many contractors that provide a variety of services to the NBN. some people might only deal with limited functions of the company and thus have a somewhat misrepresented view of where their point of contact sits.

4. chip

chip Member

Do they do much other than bring in workers on temporary visas to undercut local labour?

5. caspian

caspian Member

that's a matter of some opinion. most of their staff are actually offshore, not that it changes much.

6. shmity

shmity Member

Finally have an NBN appointment for my FttC connection. I'm listed as service class 32 "Serviceable by FTTC, cut-in required (NCD required)"
    Anyone aware of what work NBN will carry out from that appointment? I may have to get a sparky in to clean up the wiring in the house, there's a million phone sockets in the house and there's been at least two pairs of copper in the house in the past, but we've had Optus cable since we've moved in so had no reason to chase it and have it cleaned up.

7. caspian

caspian Member

SC32 means they need to connect your copper lead-in to the FTTC unit in the pit in the street. you'll also need the NCD (supplied modem), depending on your selected provider that may be installed by the tech or mailed to you as a self-install kit.

cutting away all of the additional sockets inside the house is something I highly recommend, VDSL2 performance can be significantly impacted by additional wiring. ideally you want the pair coming in from the street terminated at one socket. if you want to arrange the rest of the sockets in the house to carry VoIP from the router then have them set up as a separate, local circuit with no connectivity to the street.

there is zero point in retaining the additional sockets or fitting a central filter for FTTC - there is no legacy voice service.

8. shmity

shmity Member

I'll have to have a crawl under the house to see exactly how much work the sparky needs to do, if there are any junctions or if the wire has just been shifted each time. Some of the sockets are completely disconnected, some have had the wires just cut off at the wall so it's anyone's guess what the dogs breakfast is under the house. I'm not planning on cancelling the cable until I'm satisfied with the NBN connection so I'm happy to take the time to get it right and have the luxury of a stable connection while I get it done.

9. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Hey Everyone,

So ive been getting the run around by NBNco since I was meant to get FTTC setup at my house.

<warning - wall of text>

The initial install date was meant to be 7th of Aug, the guy came, stuffed up my wiring and left. The case was put on hold until they could fix the issue (which was the ports were labeled wrong, so they activated the wrong house). I called the ISP and they said the date they had from NBN was 13th of Sep. That came and went and there was no update, (although I saw some guys working outside). I called the ISP, and they said they still had no update from NBN, they raised the case with NBN to get a new install date. This case has now been escalated by them twice (the second time today) to get a response from NBNco, to at least give them a install date

Is there anything I can do to speed this along, or will I just have to put up with the back and forward with the ISP

10. caspian

caspian Member

keep at the ISP. that's your only option.

11. shmity

shmity Member

So after having crawled around under the house trying to find which socket was first in the line to the street, it looks like my copper has been cut off where it exits the house on the wall. I have a pit in my nature strip, but it looks like all the houses on my side of the street have phone lines going over the road to the poles. Does that seem correct? If the copper has been cut off and removed (its been cut right where the optus cable hits the house and has been taped over and tucked into the same conduit the cable runs to under the house) will NBN install new copper? Over the street or into the pit?

Edit: Looks like some houses have 2 HFC connections coming in for some reason that I mistook for overhead phone. I found a rats nest of cables in a cupboard that all the other lines in the house seem to be joined to (what looks like bare hand twisting no less) so at least I can point the sparky in the direction of what and were to remove. I can only assume that the cable that theyre all joined to are the main pair coming into the house so will have to see what happens when NBN get here for that.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  12. caspian

caspian Member

some houses might have both Optus and Telstra HFC cable to them. a little strange to have both a pit and yet aerial to the other side of the road, but not impossible. if so the cabling should go to a lower "corridor" below the local power wiring which will be at the top of the poles. if you don't have an intact aerial drop then NBN will install it (as it's aerial) unless they can somehow joint to what's there, kind of hard to say without pics, and even then I think it will be up to the tech on the day. same as to whether you get charged for it.

13. shmity

shmity Member

Managed to figure out which line was the old Telstra copper, thankfully all the extra lines in the house were twisted on by hand to the where the main pair came up through the floor and the NBN tech was good enough to punch down the bare ends to the existing socket to give a good connection. FttC up and running at almost full line speed

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7699585142.png

14. caspian

caspian Member

that is full speed... 100/40 is a layer 2 description, throughput testers are measuring at layer 3.

15. kaine88

kaine88 Member

Hey Caspian. How accurate is the test to check for bridge taps? For example I've recently gone from 41/10 to 35/2 (might be due to the wet weather? but it seems odd because it's been fine before in wet weather) and after I spoke to AussieBB about it they ran a test while my modem was unplugged which came back saying there was a bridge tap and a CPE connected... When I plugged the modem back in it said that there was no bridge tap.

Could the test just be returning a false positive re: the bridge tap and CPE due to the weather or something? Or could there really be someone else connected to the same line as me?

:confused:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  16. clonex

clonex Member

This rain is great, netflix suggested striptease. I’ll happily watch watch burt reynolds at 240 but Demi Moore not clear enough for Demi’s dance scene/nude scenes.

I wonder whats on FTA tonite :(

kaine88 likes this.
  17. caspian

caspian Member

it's not bad, but not infallible. the analysis algorithm looks for a pattern that it thinks looks characteristically like a bridge tap, but a tap is not the only line condition that can produce that pattern. I recently found a modem chipset that has an electrical "signature" that looks like a bridge tap under some conditions, it fooled the analysis engine.

if you want to read a little bit about how a suspected bridged tap is sensed, have a read of the following, particularly pages 6 and 7 regarding Hlog analysis: https://www.viavisolutions.com/de-d...d-noise-interference-application-notes-en.pdf

Hlog analysis is a valuable tool, but the next step beyond thinking one has been found is a TDR or SELT reflectometry test to check for multiple echo returns. you really need a combination of the two read together to say for certain if there is a tap present.

kaine88 likes this.
  18. kaine88

kaine88 Member

Interesting, thanks for the read.

I've woken up this morning to a upstream rate of 700Kbps... so I put some data together from two samples collected via dslstats and will work through that PDF a bit more (out of my own interest and curiosity :cool:). If anyone is interested I've put the data here on OneDrive.

I'll also followup with AussieBB again to see if anything else can be done... stability profile maybe?

19. caspian

caspian Member

stable profile will make it worse by raising the target noise margin, which also reduces bitloading and thus bitrate. it's designed to deal with impulsive noise, not gradually increasing continual noise.

if you look at the 998ade-17a bandplan at http://www.telepermit.co.nz/images/997-998.jpg, US1 is 3.75-5.2MHz, which is tones 870-1205 (at 4.3125KHz spacing). this is pretty much what shows in the "bits per tone" tab of your spreadsheet, I think your 872 is actually correct once you take fractional rounding into consideration (brain fuzzy today). looking at the Oct 13 bitloading, the US1 band is almost completely unused due to poor SNR so you are reliant on US0 which is only good for about 1Mbps at full bitloading.

the decline in DS1 bitloading plus the worsening SNR graphics in the last tab suggest a line issue to me, possibly a joint relatively close to your end of the line that is increasing in resistance as it deteriorates.

at current bitrate you are well below the acceptable minimum, ABB should be logging a fault with NBN for your line.

kaine88 likes this.
  20. kaine88

kaine88 Member

Thank you so much for having a look and explaining that - I owe you a beer or two! :thumbup:

I called ABB who have now logged a fault with NBN, they weren't too confident with having to do it so hopefully it doesn't get rejected or something...

Thanks again. Fingers crossed it can get fixed.