1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

if it seems to not be progressing as it should, ping me with your details and I'll have a word with the right people.

callan, fredhoon and kaine88 like this.
  2. kaine88

kaine88 Member

Bit of an update on my issue. The NBN tech arrived and identified an issue with a lead joint 300m down the street.

Apparently it has to be handed over to a different team to fix. Fingers crossed it won't be that much of a wait...

3. disguisey

disguisey Member

4 orders for NBN keep failing with the line "The supplied FNN or ULL ID provided for the POTS Interconnect was not found against the Copper Pair identified in the request"

Can anyone advise what this means? I know the ISP have escalated it further, but been going on for a bit now

4. caspian

caspian Member

NBN's ordering system asks the access seeker ordering a service to advise the phone number or ULL ID of the copper pair they select, assuming they are ordering a conversion for an existing line. the intent is to ensure the right line is cut over. they are supplying a number that does not match the line in the database. just resubmitting the order with the same details will result in the same rejection, they need to correctly line up the right service number with the right copper pair.

5. chip

chip Member

Are NBN techs meant to check if there's an existing NBN VDSL service active on a pair before grabbing that pair for a new service install? I've got a location with two existing FTTN services and getting a third one added has involved 6 weeks of fuckups where, at any given time, only 2 of the 3 services would be operational. Lodge a fault, and the repair tech would take out one of the other working services in the process of fixing the faulty one. The building has enough lead-in pairs as well.

6. caspian

caspian Member

they work off records. if the records are not current, you get stolen pairs.

Pugs likes this.
  7. disguisey

disguisey Member

Thanks Caspian for explaining that for me. I am guessing it will mean a tech will have to come out and confirm the ULL ID?

8. caspian

caspian Member

the ULL ID is an "FNN" identifier that Telstra issued for copper circuits they didn't put POTS on - typically used for naked DSL. every copper circuit had to have a circuit ID in Telstra's records database. POTS lines were easy, the PSTN FNN was used. for ULL, there's no POTS, so :confused: the answer was to assign a 10-digit circuit ID starting with 16.

so there's nothing a tech can do, because there's nothing physically on the line that identifies the circuit, and there's no POTS that can be backdialled. the only organisations you can contact that know the ULL ID were Telstra (who have now handed over that copper line to NBN, as you're trying to order a service) and the old Telstra Wholesale access seeker who ordered the ULL circuit from them. Telstra don't own the line anymore, and wouldn't have talked to you as a wholesale end user anyway, so that leaves you with only one option - go to the TW access seeker who ordered the circuit. if the circuit is disconnected, or your ISP was a downstream reseller of the TW access seeker (so you don't even know who they are) then you have a real problem.

unfortunately, this is not always a soluble problem.

https://www.finder.com.au/ull-id-nbn
    https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2665438
    https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2592707

the first thing I would be doing is going back to your previous ISP and starting there.

Pugs likes this.
  9. disguisey

disguisey Member

So the ISP got the ULL ID and will re-lodge the order, fingers crossed it goes through this time.

Again thanks Caspian for having to dumb things down for me :thumbup:

10. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Our man goes onsite for NBN migration:
    • cable man has jumpered tagged pair to comms rack, check.
    • plug new equipment in and DSL reports showtime, great.
    Go to test layer 3 to RSP, no dice.
    Call RSP, they claim no sync.

Did we get a shit lineman who didn't qualify the service to the MDF or is this not a requirement?

11. caspian

caspian Member

the installer would have only checked sync at the telco network boundary, which is where the jumper terminates on the building side of the MDF. their network test tool automatically selects the port assigned to the service, and they have to run a provenance test to complete the order, so there should be sync to that point OK.

the test the RSP can run is also limited to the port assigned to the service, so if they're seeing no sync on the port but the onsite modem has sync, then it sounds like a cabling mismatch between MDF and where the modem is.

are there multiple NBN VSDL2 lines to the location? is the modem actually syncing in VDSL2, or maybe to a legacy ADSL line?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  12. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Cheers for the background, by comparison FTTP is near foolproof, it's as easy as quoting the Mac and serial of the NTD, it's either there or not.

Turns out multiple tags at this site, data cablers didn't pick up the phone to confirm which tag to punch, picked one and easy buttoned the job and out the door, even though the pair ref was passed through to them.

On FTTC, do field ops actually setup the NTU, same man yesterday found the FTTC NTU still in the box, rsp claim field man should test NTU, field man speaking with our guy claims they don't, arrrgh circular argument logic pains me.

13. DNX

DNX Member

NBN went down @ 1pm, came back up @ 1:20pm.
    Currently on 100/40 plan with speeds of 87/33 normally.

When it came back up cannot connect any higher than 29/29 no matter how many router reboots.
    Have been on hold with Telstra for over 30 minutes trying to find out problem.

Bloody hopeless.

Now they tell me can only get 29/29 on my line and case has been escalated.

14. Recharge

Recharge Member

super dodgy.

15. DNX

DNX Member

Even have a Email from Telstra dated 27/11/17 stating my max speeds on my line are 84.687Mbps down and 33.098Mbps Up on the 100/40 plan.

Really sounds like they are limiting the line speed.

My contract runs out next month, so sounds really dodgy.

16. Hive

Hive Member

Change RSP's.

Whats your attainable rate?

17. DNX

DNX Member

Been getting 87/34 up until this arvo when net went down.

If no resolution from Telstra in next couple days then will change Service provider.

18. chip

chip Member

Is pricing for the enterprise ethernet service a "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" sort of thing? The EE WBA Pricelist for says that pricing is as per the EE Operations manual...which doesn't have anything concrete (or at least no $ symbols, I'm yet to read the whole thing)

19. disguisey

disguisey Member

So the ISP is still failing to get the FNN to line up, so they are now provisioning a new phone number apparently. Been in and out of ordering for a month, if I moved providers is there a good chance I might able to speed this along?

it constantly goes from The FNN/ULL ID has been added, we have tested and found it is now matching in service portal to

Resource ID: WRES-93622
    -NBNCo Order ID:
    Additional Information: Order Status: Rejected
    Reason: orderNotes attribute name: RJ001000
    value: The order has been rejected due to : The following mandatory field or fields are not provided: [POTS INTERCONNECT]. The Order ID for reference is ORD020080328105.

Anyone have any ideas?

20. leighr

leighr Member

What do your modem stats show? What connection type are you on?