The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

don't be paranoid. your line has just been damaged.

yes, switch to a competent ISP. literally thousands of these are gotten right every single day, it's not that hard.

I just looked at the order, far out. there are a grand total of TWO copper pairs to that address, only one shows as active. how hard can it be?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Well, I'm on week 6 of troubleshooting my connection again!

Back to exactly the same situation as before, multiple outages a day, upload at .5 on occasions, when a solid connection is usually over 85/30

Currently 25.6/0.6 after an hour-long outage where I couldn't sync, even following a port reset from ABB.

NBN techs have:
    - Switched me to a new cable from the node to my house.
    - Re-jumpered 3 times, including one where they stated that the new pillar designs, where they add an NBN stacky thing on top of an old copper node, are faulty.
    - Might have looked at the port, which fixed it last time for over 3 months, but they're not saying if they have yet.

Just can't believe the incompetence of NBN, wherever the fault actually lies, and I have absolutely no recourse.

3. caspian

caspian Member

yeah, I know what that will be. get the ISP to put another fault report in and ping me your address details once it's done.

4. caspian

caspian Member

I would expect anything supported to enterprise grade standards to be priced appropriately. it's a premium grade product in terms of performance, availability and support and that costs money to deliver. https://www.nbnco.com.au/content/da...chedule_EnterpriseEthernetModule_20181023.pdf

to my reading, price is effectively by individual quote - see section 4.3 of https://www.nbnco.com.au/content/da...A_WBA_EnterpriseEthernet_OperationsManual.pdf

5. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Dude, I will send you a crate of beer or whatever if you can solve this. There should be an open ticket as I've been hammering ABB to escalate.

I spent over an hour trying to reply to a client this evening :(

Up for 2 mins, 25/0.5ish, down for 15mins, up, down. Tonight is the worst but give it a couple more hours and it'll be rocking 85/30 *cries into keyboard*

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  6. DNX

DNX Member

Back @ 80/34, 2 hours after getting call from tech guy (Indian call centre) said there was a joint fault.

Also told they do not offer 100/40 plans in my area anymore, 50/20 is highest. This is a couple of kilometers outside Hobart in Moonah.

Says a lot for the infrastructure.

7. Perko

Perko Member

Nah it's because you're too close to Chigwell.

MrSnuffy likes this.
  8. DNX

DNX Member

9. caspian

caspian Member

it is Telstra choosing to restrict what plan speeds they will offer you, not NBN. that ACCC scrutiny has the whole industry running scared.

MrSnuffy likes this.
  10. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Talk to AussieBB? They're very good at managing their bandwidth so possibly can offer a full-speed connection.

11. roger895

roger895 Member

Not sure if I have asked before, but what are the chances of switching nodes? A new one has been put in halfway between my house and my current node.

"slow speed" issues perhaps?

12. caspian

caspian Member

13. power

power Member

how handy are you with a molotov?

14. caspian

caspian Member

15. Sleepyz7z

Sleepyz7z Member

Well, definitely won the lotto at work, as FTTN connection hasn't dropped in over 100+ days since jumpering. Attainable is still listed at over 130Mbps and doesn't seem to vary.

Also what was that box in the above video? The right hand side looks crazy big for what looks to be bugger all in it.

16. Pugs

Pugs Member

17. caspian

caspian Member

it's an optical node box... basically a DSLAM with optical line cards fitted, not electrical ones. the space on the right is the optical patching subracks, the techs need a certain amount of room to work in there in comfort, plus maintaining the bend radius on fibre cables and avoiding pressure points.

the smaller rather sad object towards the front of the pic used to be the power pedestal.

[​IMG]

actually all replaced already... less than 48 hours to service restoration. we keep all sorts of parts kits up to a full node replacement, the biggest job was splicing the incoming fibres into the trays, and ribbon fibre makes that pretty quick.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    banshee, MrSnuffy and Pugs like this.
  18. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Had the NBN guys out yesterday.

I had a perfect connection of about 85/30 all the time they were here. They shrug and leave after 10 mins of testing. Just as they leave, it drops out. I race out and they take a look and start testing again.

They end up replacing ALL the cables between my house and the node. Apparently the blue and white were fine but the red and black were stuffed and only showing they travelled 4m, not all the way to the node.

They leave satisfied it's working, so I test and it's 48/6 then it drops out again within 10 mins.

They come back and decide to test the port which is reporting 48/6ish instead of 100. They call NBN and ask them if they can change ports and they're told 'no because the ticket is closed and the customer has to request it to be reopened'. The techs are literally right in front of the next step in solving the problem and the NBN tech support team put bureaucracy over providing customer service.

Connection finally comes good at 9:30pm, back up to stability and a normal speed (80/30) and is still stable today, but it'll probably crap itself again about lunch time.

*bangs head on desk repeatedly*

Great service from the techies, the guys were really dedicated and genuinely frustrated for me.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  19. disguisey

disguisey Member

Considering it is still going on, I don't know. I might give ABB a call today.

20. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

In my street in Mt Gravatt E in Brisbane, we've had the cable run in the street and the leaders run to the houses, with boxes installed on the outside of the houses. The NBN site still reports "6-12 months" /cry

WTF, I JUST CHECKED AND IT'S AVAILABLE!!!!?!?! HOLY CRAP.
    Last time I checked it was listed as 6-12mo, despite the cable being run in the street pits and the leaders be run to the houses. I've just checked today and ZING, my service is now available!