The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. disguisey

disguisey Member

Locked into contract otherwise I would. Might try and get out of it considering how long this is taking

2. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Sure mate. Cost was $15,273 including the $660 for application fee. Included a branch multiport, FJL, multiport splitter, NTD, fibre pulled through etc.

Took 5 months from accepting the quote. A lot of money........ definitely. Not something I could afford initially or justify, but we completed internal renovations on our house and added it into the cost.

I see it as an asset, a saleable point if needed, future proofing my NBN and I hope added some "value" to the property. Just had the house wired with 14 outlets, 2 wireless access points, cabinet, new 24 port switch and new router.

*Note* I did ask every other property in our street of 16 houses and only interest from two others. When I told them the expected cost, they backed out. As such, they will ALL now be able to get FTTP a LOT cheaper than me, as I have paid for and "gifted" NBN Co. the assets. It is what it is.

Cheers

BIQ

3. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

It is what it is, but it shouldn't have to be.

Pugs likes this.
  4. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

I agree one hundred percent mate. Everyone should have it, for what it will cost tax payers in the end.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Pugs likes this.
  5. disguisey

disguisey Member

NBN/Iinet are saying that the data issue has now been fixed. Although it doesn't say what they did to fix it or on which side

Caspian: Anyway to see what happened on CR: WRES-104894

6. caspian

caspian Member

sorry, I have no way to do anything with that reference, I think it would come from the ISP's internal systems. I need to know your location details and work backwards from there to identify your service.

7. disguisey

disguisey Member

All good mate, thanks anyway :thumbup:

8. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

Yeah, this is absolute bullshit. So far my line doesn't seem to be stable, even with the "stability profile" added. However, because it's not over NBN's unacceptable limit, they won't do anything apart from the same bullshit spiel every time.

NBN, your techs are useless, just like your network. You've come out and tested the node 3 fucking times, and each time you've come back and said "no issues found", but magically, after each time it becomes stable for 3 weeks or so, then goes back to shit, and my speed get's worse, EACH TIME. Then a tech gets sent to the node, AGAIN, after it goes to shit. What do you know, same thing happens, they have a play around, then it becomes fine, for 3 weeks.

When a tech first came out, he said I have a sync speed of around 66,000, and the node is about 300m away. A few months in, my stability is deplorable, so a profile is added, great. Internet comes good, but speeds dropped to around 59,000. That's fine, it's stable, no worries.

Few months after that, stability goes to shit, they send a tech out and say everything is fine, but magically, after the tech does his thing, it becomes stable, but I've dropped down to 45,000 sync, and the node has somehow moved an extra 400m away, because it's now 700m. Sorry, what? How the fuck does the node just grow legs, and walk another 400m away from my fucking house?

This goes on for a few months, back and forth, before I just tell them to put the profile on and leave it on. That was a couple weeks ago, but SHOCK HORROR, it's dropped 3 times today already.

Absolute cock-up of a fucking network solution.

Current connection speed: 41290/10520
    Line att: 20.2/27.1
    Noise Margin: 12.2/12.2

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  9. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Jimmyb53 as such mate no use having a go at NBN Co. Although I agree with you, it was the Liberal party and Malcolm Turnbull that gave is this MTM and FTTN shite. Remember that next year at the polls.

NBN Co. are complicit, dont get me wrong. But they are just doing the will of their political masters.

Have you removed EVERY other phone point in the house and just a single Cat6 from box outside directly to modem socket?

I was 1.3km away from node. when I was first connected I got 18/1. Did the above and went to 27/5.

As you are already on FTTN is there any chance you could join up with some neighbors and get a switch to FTTP via the technology choice program and share the cost? Have you asked your neighbors how their net is going?

https://www1.nbnco.com.au/residenti...ogy-choice-program/individual-premises-switch

I was lucky enough to be able to do it by myself as there was little interest by my neighbors (now I have paid for it, they probably will). Now on FTTP. No worrying about stability profiles, connection speeds, modem sync rates.

FTTN is shite fullstop. Waste of billions of dollars and time.

Good luck with it all.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  10. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

11. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

It's a rental, My partner and I are in our own self contained unit, with our own separate phone line (just the one plug), while the rest of her family are in the main house, with their own separate line as well. I know this, because it was a kerfuffle getting it connected as NBNco whinged that there was already a service via Telstra at the premises, and didn't want to come out, even though ABB told them it was a separate line.

Id love to get FTTP, but as I'm being made redundant as of the 21st, and have to go job hunting, it's simply not on the cards.

12. hairy

hairy Member

so I called nbnco again yesterday about my lack of connection after 4 years (every month they give me a date one month ahead).
    for 4 years I have been waiting for a fttn connection and now they tell me im on path for an upgrade ?
    project fusion they say ?
    I would be happy with a connection guys!
    I cant see my house being connected for a long time now.
    nbn tech's told me they ran a new copper pair from the node to my house and tested it 38mps down.
    does this mean that work was a waste of time or were they running fibre up my street ?
    what a joke.

13. caspian

caspian Member

Project Fusion is designed to address long copper line issues via a variety of methods. the objective is to meet the government's statement of expectations that "the network will provide peak wholesale download data rates (and proportionate upload rates) of at least 25 megabits per second to all premises".

38Mbps more than meets that goal.

14. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Great goal.............. not. My apologies for shooting the messenger, but thats shit and not worthy of being called broadband in any sense of the definition.

15. cvidler

cvidler Member

it is what it is, complain to your member, and with your vote.

keep in mind though 99% of the population aren't on OCAU, and don't know any better or care. so we'll suffer further decades of being a backwater country due to lack of foresight from the government.

16. hairy

hairy Member

I complained to my member long ago and tio and nbnco.
    I guess no one cares about not being able to get any net connection in Sydney.
    because every house around me was nbn enabled 4 years ago im past the change over period.
    even if I could get adsl again I got 200k down.
    guess I will stick to my 4g, don't really have a choice.

nbn techs got 24mps then 10 months ago installed new pitts and new copper to my house and tested 38.
    those guys said I should be able to connect in a couple of weeks.... 10 months later still waiting.
    getting pretty sick of waiting and having dates pushed back with no explanation.
    38 is an upgrade from my vivid 4g 12/1 plan at $90 per month.

17. caspian

caspian Member

nor do 99% of the population currently have any particular use for much higher speeds, and they certainly won't pay for something they don't need to be available. they'll complain enough about the cost when they *do* have a use for them.

that may well be short sighted, but Joe Average doesn't think that way. outside their own narrow field of expertise, politicians aren't any more knowledgeable than Joe, and when they make technical decisions for political reasons, this is what you get.

18. caspian

caspian Member

not to the point of dropping everything to solve one problem, probably not. it will happen eventually. it will no doubt just take longer than you'd prefer.

I understand the impatience. however knowing the reason would not change the answer, so what's the point?

19. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

You give us hard love, caspian :D

MrSnuffy likes this.
  20. hairy

hairy Member

their is no reason that's my point.