1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. hairy

hairy Member

I complained to my member long ago and tio and nbnco.
    I guess no one cares about not being able to get any net connection in Sydney.
    because every house around me was nbn enabled 4 years ago im past the change over period.
    even if I could get adsl again I got 200k down.
    guess I will stick to my 4g, don't really have a choice.

nbn techs got 24mps then 10 months ago installed new pitts and new copper to my house and tested 38.
    those guys said I should be able to connect in a couple of weeks.... 10 months later still waiting.
    getting pretty sick of waiting and having dates pushed back with no explanation.
    38 is an upgrade from my vivid 4g 12/1 plan at $90 per month.

2. caspian

caspian Member

nor do 99% of the population currently have any particular use for much higher speeds, and they certainly won't pay for something they don't need to be available. they'll complain enough about the cost when they *do* have a use for them.

that may well be short sighted, but Joe Average doesn't think that way. outside their own narrow field of expertise, politicians aren't any more knowledgeable than Joe, and when they make technical decisions for political reasons, this is what you get.

3. caspian

caspian Member

not to the point of dropping everything to solve one problem, probably not. it will happen eventually. it will no doubt just take longer than you'd prefer.

I understand the impatience. however knowing the reason would not change the answer, so what's the point?

4. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

You give us hard love, caspian :D

MrSnuffy likes this.
  5. hairy

hairy Member

their is no reason that's my point.

6. caspian

caspian Member

there's a lot of ground between there being no reason, and your not knowing what the reason is.

seriously, nobody goes to work and thinks up new and exciting ways of delaying the project. circumstances change, thus so does the answer. petulant complaints about it just come off like the kids in the back seat incessantly asking "are we there yet" while their parents fantasize about gaffa taping them to the roof racks.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 1:51 PM
    BAK likes this.
  7. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Anyone can go to work and go through the motions. Some actually make a difference. Little accountability and masked oversight has allowed the NBN Co. to do a very poor job in a lot of area's.

Some of the first hand information of the goings on and actions of individuals inside the NBN, I am not surprised.

8. hairy

hairy Member

so after new copper was installed and tested (in front of me) 10 months ago you say there must be another reason.
    im sorry but I just don't see what else there could be.
    after 4 years with no connection you don't think I have any right to complain ?
    just seems like a status is not being updated properly.
    I wish Telstra had control of the entire rollout then at least we would only have one company to call to try and get things straightened out.
    I wouldn't be so disappointed if there were any alternativesthat were half good.

9. caspian

caspian Member

many reasons. just because one visible part of the connection to your premises one done has no bearing on all of the other dependencies.

I understand you are frustrated, but this is little different to a proposal to redo every single road in the country. it will take a long time. some people will be towards the end of the project. those people will complain. so it goes.

then I suggest you would indeed have something to complain about.

Pugs likes this.
  10. Perko

Perko Member

You've got to be joking.

Pugs likes this.
  11. Pugs

Pugs Member

Telstra had their chance and I believe Sol had no interest in deploying FTTP... so ya know years later all the other directors and board of T believed the lies..and they had jumped I to bed with Rupert..so ya know he had no interest in fttp either...

12. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Who fantasizes about that? That's why my car trips are so quiet.
    The NBN as a whole is a gigantic project. It's ridiculous how big it is, the distances, the amount of copper and fiber required, the number of staff on the project, the contractors, the NBN board, the resellers, the big and little players, the list goes on and on and on. THEN you chuck in the Gubmint 'oversight' that changes the goalposts every random time period, and you get a huge fuck up.
    THEN you get rubbish trucks driving through an alley way and pulling down the one piece of wire that connects your hovel in a slightly different way to the rest of the street and it's not replaced for 1.5 years (or some bollocks like that).
    THEN you get one house on a street that isn't hooked up for four years after everyone else on the street is hooked up because $reasons.
    Working for the NBN you'd get a kick in the ass every five seconds, and for every 9,998 people who get hooked up, the two that aren't complain the loudest and longest - which from those two people's point of view, is totally justified.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, caspian thank you very much for your continued assistance into this community!

BAK, disguisey, Pugs and 1 other person like this.
  13. d3vour3r

d3vour3r Member

Im one step closer to getting NBN at my unit complex. According to the website im getting HFC from the node, which i think isnt too bad.

NBNco sent out some techs to wire up my complex. they ran cable from the pit in the street to a box on my building, then installed conduit and cable to each units front door. When NBNCo come through on my street and install the node they will connect to the pit on the street and my complex will be live.

They said it will then be up to the ISP to bring the connection into the residence from the connection point they installed outside the front door. I am a bit dubious about this. mainly because im in a 3 level unit and the top 2 levels are living, and bottom is just entrance and garage.

Can someone confirm when my building is NBN live that telstra/optus/whoever will send a tech out to bring the connection into my building so that i can connect the modem and router to? or will that be an extra cost to me?

14. caspian

caspian Member

to that I would also two points:

(1) the frustration of political imperatives making it more or less impossible for any government to implement any idea the previous government had, regardless of merit. that leads to a lot of mid-game goalpost realignment even before circumstances genuinely change.

(2) the ACCC shoving their oar in at the start of the project and forcing the design change from megaPOI to distributed POI, to support a wholesale transmission market that should have been allowed to die off if it can't support itself. but in typical ACCC fashion, it was too hard to achieve actual competition, so they settled for a simulation of it instead - and we all get to pay for it. this decision let to a significant increase in cost and complexity for the project alone, plus it introduced a lot of additional costs for the RSPs (POI access, capacity and connectivity), all of which flows directly through to the retail price - while giving Telstra a relative free ride (as they already had a transmission network, and the access is largely not an issue for them as it's mostly in their own buildings!). that alone has IMO substantially decreased competition in the NBN retail market - nice own goal, ACCC. :rolleyes:

the main reason being again political - makes the numbers look better.

and that's understandable from any reasonable perspective too.

15. caspian

caspian Member

the team you had out was the network build drop team. their job is just to build the network down the street and do the lead-in drops to the premises. the internal install isn't done by the ISP, but it's initiated by an ISP placing an order for your address. there's a concept called "service class" that drives the required behaviour, when an order comes in your address will be in a service class that indicates an install appointment is required. that only ever needs to be done once, and it promotes the service class to a status that shows install done. so if you ever disconnect the first service and then you (or a subsequent occupant) order a service, the service class tells the system it's just a logical connection, and it is all done remotely.

16. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

So i'll throw this here instead of a new thread, maybe someone can answer it.

What cable are you meant to have for your lead in (FTTN), previous owner had a business from home and had 2 lines as far as we know. Now we actually have 2 lines running from the power pole to the roof of the house (you can see the 2 separate lines). There is a 2 pair with scotchlocks in the the little Telstra NTD on the fascia but these are not actually connected to anything.

The 2nd cable bypasses the NTD and is run straight into the roof space via a hole that has been drilled into the fascia, this cable is a single pair wire, i think its called a PVC Twin core, with solid copper core which is WAY thicker than the 2 pair stuff in the NTD. Is this just an old way of running the lead in or has someone done some dodgy stuff? This sold copper core has been the active line since we moved in 5 or 6 years ago.

17. caspian

caspian Member

unlikely the box is actually an NTD, it's more probably just a junction box. there's no requirement for incoming cabling to run through one, it's just a convenience for terminating two cables, such as an internally rated cable to an externally rated one.

both cables are probably 2-pair but some may be faulty, or there might have been more than 2 active lines at some previous point. there are standards for cabling but they have changed over the years, so you can see a variety of termination and connection methods in use.

Pugs likes this.
  18. Skydome

Skydome Member

Rather than create a new thread and clog the joint up i figured i'd post here. My contract with telstra is up and i'm starting to think about new ISP's.

i wanted to go with Launtel but they don't service Fixed wireless areas it would appear.

What ISP's would people recommend here that have good routing for international traffic? or do I have to stay with telstra for that?

I also don't wanna cheap out on a provider and find they deliver garbage service. I'm after a 50/20 plan with around 200gb data, doesn't HAVE to be unlimited but doesn't really matter eitherway as long as the price difference isn't too large.

19. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Probably a junction box, I wasn't sure what they called them. And the cable we are on is definitely a single pair cable, thick solid copper core with PVC shielding, I am guessing it was the original lead in from a long time ago.

Anyway have to wait for nbn tech appointment, they refuse to look into the no internet issue without booking an appointment to visit the premises. Despite the fact that the no internet issue was because someone down the street dug up the cables when redoing there driveway.

20. disguisey

disguisey Member

Looks like they fixed the data/provisioning issue

FTTC SD TASKING
    ======================
    ESQ: 32 CPI300005413486 Active - ULL - 1617120818 344 Available - match
    Action Taken:
    Edit service in Rumba
    Provision service in Rumba
    The request to provision this service completed successfully
    Defer for Frontier