The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

Apologies. I forgot the </sarcasm>

Perko likes this.
  2. money_killer

money_killer Member

Crappy ADSL .....

3. Perko

Perko Member

Hopefully you don't get crappy clogged up Fixed Wifi.

4. money_killer

money_killer Member

Yes I have been reading all about the issues poeple have been having on whirlpool. I am very worried that's for sure

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  5. caspian

caspian Member

like anything, if all you listen to is the negatives, you get a skewed version of the picture. the number and proportion of congested wireless sites is tiny, and they are being actively upgraded.

6. BAK

BAK Member

I think you mean ACCCidental.

TheWedgie, MrSnuffy, Perko and 2 others like this.
  7. choppa

choppa Member

Skimmed a lot of this thread, couldn't find what I'm after. I'm wondering can anyone please post images of the NBN enclosure that was installed by the NBN contractors when they came to your house?

We're about to have HFC connected to our property and the contractors want to put a tiny ABS plastic box on the outside with the HFC cable coiled in there. Not sure what else needs to be installed, and who is doing the installation (I'm assuming there will need to be another box where the outlet will go, a double-GPO, plus a spot for the HFC capable modem, possibly some CAT6 ports, and a battery backup unit)?

We don't want any of "their" gear inside the house and want it outside on a lockable wall mounted cabinet, and was wondering what NBN/contractors supply, hence the request for images. We can get everything else done by our preferred contractors where needed, rather than having NBN subbies come inside or do any drilling / wiring and making a mess of things.

8. Pugs

Pugs Member

Box is roughly 100mm wide by 200mm long..

Not battery back up on hfc the only other box in the Hfc modem..

9. madjack

madjack Member

Folks had their HFC lead-in redone a few days ago, the plastic box is just a place to house the isolator and join the lead-in from the street to the coax that runs through the house. Doesn't need power.

Good luck trying to get them to put the HFC modem anywhere but inside, the thing is made of vents and runs very hot, the dust, insects and humidity would kill it in a vented cabinet and a sealed cabinet would cook it.

10. caspian

caspian Member

the external box is where the lead-in terminates, that's done by the network build team. there are two sizes, small to house an isolator/connector and splitter if required, and a larger one if an amplifier is also required.

when you actually order a service a tech comes out and does the internal cabling from there to the wallplate, plus supply of the modem. that needs a power point. the modem has an ethernet port for connection of your equipment, but internal cabling is your issue to arrange. there is no battery backup, you can plug the HFC modem into a UPS if you like, but bear in mind that the network equipment in the street has no battery backup. there's a pic of the modem here, the black Arris box second from right. everything else is private equipment.

I haven't heard of the modem being located in an external housing, at the very least it would need to be completely waterproof to address humidity concerns, and then heat might be an issue. you'd also need power in the housing for the modem, and it would be your issue to run data cabling from there into the premises. all of the install documentation refers to the cabling being extended to a wallplate inside the premises, but I expect the installer would make an assessment on the day. see https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/learn/network-technology/hybrid-fibre-coaxial-explained-hfc-3, "How do I choose the best location for the nbn™ equipment?".

11. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Yep, this is what we've got - I can take a pic this afternoon. caspian has already covered why this is on the outside of your house.
    This is a non-standard installation and the NBN subbie will go "I can't do this". It'll greatly delay your installation. Just tell the NBN subbie to run the coax cable to the location of your choice (this is what I'm going to do, mine is in the garage), then you can arrange the NBN and ISP modems however you like. Having IT equipment outside seems like a lose-lose situation.

th3_hawk likes this.
  12. caspian

caspian Member

what's the issue with having the modem inside the premises anyway? it's no different to any HFC broadband install from Optus or Telstra over the years, other than the use of your own router is mandatory.

th3_hawk and Pugs like this.
  13. [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

So after 4 live chat sessions, 3 phone calls which one was over an hour I have finally got to the bottom of it. The wanker in the Telstra store who gave me the modem cancelled the connection request, The Telstra NBN orders have now closed the original order but I have to wait 24-48hrs for this to happen and then I will need to submit a new connection request.....

14. disguisey

disguisey Member

Connection requests are still getting denied

Now approaching third month

Frontier has encountered an issue while provisioning this customer's NBN100 FTTC Liimitless service 2047621631
    CA8348411: Resubmit Order
    Here are some additional details to assist you in resolving this:
    - Resource ID: WRES-107878
    - NBNCo Order ID:
    Additional Information: Order Status: Rejected
    Reason: orderNotes attribute name: RJ005177
    value: The order has been rejected due to : The supplied FNN or ULL ID provided for the POTS Interconnect was not found against the Copper Pair identified in the request. The Order ID for reference is ORD020089043803.
    attribute name: Standard Description

Caspian, what info would you need to have a bit of a look as Iinet are saying its a data issue on your side although I am not inclined to believe Iinet

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  15. caspian

caspian Member

I'll check tomorrow.

daehenoc and disguisey like this.
  16. disguisey

disguisey Member

Mate, you are truly doing me a solid!

17. Perko

Perko Member

My FW peak congestion speed has dropped to the low 3's from the 4.2 or so I was getting in April. So good.
    Was going to fire up the old ADSL line a couple of months ago, but we had a monster flood in 2016, big enough to rip holes in the ground that you could build houses in, and it killed my folks' phone line further down. So I plugged a phone into one line, and had nothing, plugged into the other one and I could only faintly hear the electric fence unit clicking and nothing else. I'm guessing where it ripped up 150m of road and dug 1.5m trenches through it probably had an effect, so that's out.

18. caspian

caspian Member

disguisey - I've done some research on your issue. there are two lines into the premises, one active and one not. I presume the active one is carrying a naked DSL service from he references I see. I can see the RSP has tried several migration orders with both the ULL ID and no service ID at all for the pair - not a bad idea on their part, in case the pairs were swapped without recorded being updated at some stage. both have failed with the data mismatch error.

the problem is that I have no way of retrieving the service details associated with the active pair that your RSP is trying to migrate to FTTC, due to privacy constraints that data isn't stored anywhere I can get to. assuming your RSP does actually have the right Telstra Wholesale ULL ID, the only way to investigate the issue is for your RSP to raise a service request to look at a data mismatch for the line, and that goes back to Telstra to revalidate what service they have associated with the line.

if that sounds convoluted then I totally agree, but apparently the insistence on the privacy was not from our end.

banshee and fredhoon like this.
  19. disguisey

disguisey Member

legend thanks Caspian! I will escalate with the RSP and see if they can talk to Telstra

20. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

What equipment were you expecting to be installed? Were you thinking of the FTTP NTD box + battery unit? If so, as others have said, none of that is done for HFC, basically just a cable outlet somewhere.

On a side note, any reason you wouldn't want that stuff installed inside somewhere?

Yep, same story here on plain old HFC. I had ours installed in the garage where the server rack lives with all the things cabled across the house. The copper pair is also cabled directly to the same location waiting for the FTTC NBN we are scheduled for in 2020.