The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

if the prospective RSP is also Telstra Wholesale's access seeker for the ULL that carries the naked DSL, they can certainly confirm the ULL ID with them.

if not, probably best to just raise the service request with NBN activations and let them sort it out, as I doubt Telstra would discuss the issue outside their contractual wholesale relationship. the best option seems to be Orders/Order error, although you shouldn't have to lead the RSP as to how to escalate - they should know. it would help if they quoted the previous order numbers where they have tried both with and without the ULL ID though.

2. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

Wow
    Finally got the notice that nbn is available in my area ...
    Should be connected within “3 months”
    Lol
    Hopefully it is no slower than Ye old ancient cable I’ve had since 2001.

3. choppa

choppa Member

Don't want their subies in the house making a mess and pulling cable in the incorrect area. Don't want NBN gear inside the house for various other reasons.
    Considering I run 600+ sites that supply most of metropolitan Melbourne with a vital service where the cabinets contain PLC's and RTU's and said cabinets are only IP54 rated, I'm pretty certain that a decent IP54 rated wall mounted cabinet under the eaves will be more than adequate for a modem.

Anyway, thank you all for the information on NBN gear - I ended up finding most of it on Whirlpool after reading through their many posts. Probably will end up using a powder coated IP54 cabinet with a push-pull thermostat controlled fan and dust filters to house the equipment outside, with wall-cavity based cable entry or bottom entry correctly glanded cables.

4. chip

chip Member

Not trying to dissuade you from this, but I'm sitting here hoping that the industrial PLCs/RTUs running essential services in the field are built out of higher grade components and designed to survive more extreme environmental conditions than a cheap consumer cable modem.

disguisey, cvidler and Pugs like this.
  5. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

caspian your thoughts on this situation?
    I'm not getting an IP on two routers I've tried (HFC NBN). ABB can't see anything wrong from their end but also can't see anything that gets connected to the Arris modem. All lights on the modem are on. Everything's been rebooted but still no go.
    Issue has been escalated to NBN so still waiting on their assessment.
    This issue popped up during yesterday's hail storm so I suspect some thing may be broken somewhere but noone knows what atm.

6. caspian

caspian Member

not a HFC person myself but I know a little. fair call that if it has worked before than the storm has damaged something. if the modem has all lights on then it should be synced with the node and CMTS but that doesn't mean it supports dataflow.

I have a few systems I can check to see what's happening if you want to give me an address for the service, sorry but it's the only way I can check. (and any other way gives me the same info anyway, trust me I don't care where you live.)

7. choppa

choppa Member

If you knew the state of our critical infrastructure in Victoria, you'd cry. Literally. I get frustrated every single day by it. Nobody gives a shit about Electrical or Mechanical assets, as most places are run by civil engineers or similar, so there is no focus or care placed towards that kind of stuff... here's an electrical cabinet that needs upgrading (but I won't discuss where it's from).

poor cabinet.jpg

Yes, this is an active cabinet providing a suburb with a certain vital resource... :(

Attached Files:

8. caspian

caspian Member

SuiCid3 - had a look at your ticket. the script readers have been at it.

they can interrogate the modem remotely and loop the traffic channel, so the network is OK. they can't see link up from the ethernet port to your equipment.

this is where my head starts to hurt.

they're still insisting that the CPE configuration and function be checked despite your RSP having clearly mentioned that two different routers have been tried, plus PC direct to the modem. and different cabling. they also want you to check it's plugged into the right ethernet socket... when there's only one on that modem. and finally, they want the MAC addresses of the routers previously tried, although what they're going to do with that information when the local layer 1 connectivity isn't coming up I am truly baffled by.

1684c518617639d95110d18baa2d3515.jpg

suggest your RSP book an appointment and tell them to get their collective arses out there and change the modem.

banshee, 1dongchen and SuiCid3 like this.
  9. caspian

caspian Member

the problem is that while everyone wants and expects their services to work uninterrupted including through a single fault condition, nobody wants to pay the actual cost of ensuring that can occur.

compounding that, you can't just do anything anymore. you have to be certified and qualified to some bullshit standard that changes regularly for no adequate reason. you need insurance in case anything goes wrong and you get blamed. you need a job order, set of written work instructions (supported by training), signoff from management, health and safety evalation, side readiness inspection, traffic control, tools inspected and calibrated, personal protective equipment, two-man rule, prewritten postwork evaluation and success criteria, runsheet, and a prework toolbox meeting where you get reminded not to kill yourself in case the reminder you had every single fucking day beforehand for the last 10 years hadn't stayed with you.

who knows what the cost is so far, and you haven't done any fucking thing yet.

after work, all that crap has to be packed up, paperwork done, post completion work certificate completed, automated ticket issued for someone else to do all of this again to QI what you just did, ticket of work booked off and resource control advised you're offsiting. so you can go back to the office and have a lessons learned meeting, raise some issues you found with some of the steps and images in the written work instructions not matching the job exactly, and go through the process of ordering replacement stock for the consumables expended during the job.

what did you do? you undid two screws, tossed the corroded earth stake connector into the back of your truck, and screwed a new one in place.

it's *this* bullshit that makes everything cost a fortune. it wasn't this way a couple of decades ago, before the mania that everything can be made 100% safe if you just make it impossible enough to get any work done strangled everything, which is in turn a function of the blame and liability society we have.

10. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

Thanks mate.
    I'll pass on the MAC addresses to ABB and hopefully that'll satisfy the NBN monkeys enough to action the modem swap.

11. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

***Triggered
    So much all of this post. The dumbing down and over the top insistance on work instructions are making people less safe in my opinion.

Less and less people have principles understanding of the jobs they do, let alone why standards and work practices are the way they are. Audits and post incident reviews focus on adherence to work instructions and check sheets, quickly finding blame in the slightest deviation whilst no consideration is given to the sheer volume of paperwork burden nor reality that situations can be dynamic and work instructions can't cover off all scenarios (nor is there an instruction for transitioning between job types when circumstances change).

Despite all the OH&S burden, it still amazes me that the office bureaucracy can still amount to more man hours issuing a simple job to field crews than the construction man hours.

/Rant

12. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

This interests me. I'm on Telstra HFC and got a letter the other day saying the NBN was now available in my area.

Interesting given the area map for my street on the NBN website said it wouldn't be coming for another two years.

For shits and giggles I called theme up to find out what speed services would be available if I wanted to change over. (I presumed that they would simply have to do something at their end given I already have the Telstra cable into the house and currently have a 100Mbit service.

(Australian) Call centre lady said the best service they could offer would be 50down and <something> up for the first month until they finish Testing.

firey4059 likes this.
  13. chip

chip Member

bloody lawyers tell me that if I don't tell a telco/utility worker* not to kill/hurt themselves, it's my fault if they do something stupid and die/get injured.

*with domain specific skills, training, and expertise that I lack

fredhoon likes this.
  14. caspian

caspian Member

no set of written instructions will ever deal with everything, or compensate for actually having trained, knowledgeable and experienced staff. anyone who thinks so has just demonstrated that they have no idea what they are talking about.

unfortunately, that's not much in vogue these days. the "professional" manglement of the world (who are in reality beancounters who "manage" from a spreadsheet - oops, human resource unit C32 is grumpy again) dream of a utopia where everything is documented so well that you can theoretically park any idiot in front of a task with a good enough work instruction and they can do the job with no other knowledge. this is the mentality that has resulted in the creation of the modern call centre.

the last time I had this debate with someone from manglement they said that "surely it was just a matter of writing down what to do". I pointed out that the issue was not in the individual steps, but in interpretation of what step was required, and the complexity of possible combinations. when they looked at me blankly, I asked them to document a set of steps to do their job. just write down what to do for every possible individual consideration and step, in any potential combination of circumstances. should be easy, right?

15. caspian

caspian Member

I'm sure they do. that's why you have to tell them every single day, not because they might have forgotten what they were told yesterday, or every day before that, but because it covers the business's collective arse to be able to point out that the accident that happened wasn't because you didn't take every possible measure to try and prevent it.

I had one management job years ago where we got lectured by senior management about apparently new workplace rules that made anything that went wrong in the place our fault, even if we complied with every requirement for training, supply of PPE, going crook if we saw something being done wrong etc. I resigned.

banshee, 1dongchen and firey4059 like this.
  16. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Something similar. As an Airline Captain, I am responsible for the wellbeing and conduct/safety of the crew when on an overnight away from home........ Hmmmm how do you expect I manage that? Tell them they are not allowed out of their hotel room, dont fall over in the shower or cut yourself shaving etc. Sigh. Management, red tape, lawyers, OHAS and worse of all HR.

(off topic, sorry).

banshee and firey4059 like this.
  17. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

I have a good news story to report for my NBN connection experience :D I got the letter from the NBN about the 5th Dec, I dicked around for a few days and got around to calling iiNet around the 8th Dec, to tee up a connection. The phone droid said to me that there was an installation window available on the 24th, I'm going 'yeah mate, Feb or March?', he said "oh, in December", I'm like "THIS YEAR??!?!?"
    Anyway, the NBN dudes turned up on the morning of the 24th, right in their installation window, did the HFC thing, the NBN modem hooked up OK with four green lights. I spent an hour in the afternoon setting up the iiNet modem the way I wanted it, and was pulling down 11000Mib on the 12Mb plan, woot! Upgraded to the 50Mb plan overnight and in the morning of the 25th, was getting 44000Mib down, hooray!
    So all in all, good stuff :)

banshee and caspian like this.
  18. leighr

leighr Member

Is posting good news allowed in this thread? We may have to report you for spreading optimism. :)

Glad it's working for you.

banshee likes this.
  19. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Way to go Daehenoc! Love to hear you are finally on and a great speed :)

20. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

I call BS!!