The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. kaine88

kaine88 Member

Thanks for the explanation :thumbup: Is there minimum upload speed that NBN must provide for FTTN connections post coexistence?

Edit: nevermind after a bit of searching it looks like it is 25/5.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. caspian

caspian Member

yes, 25/5Mbps at layer 2. add roughly 4% for layer 1 sync speeds.

kaine88 likes this.
  3. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

OCAU needs dislike buttons, this post saddens me :(

/Me waits patiently for FTT-DP, still waiting for FTTN.

4. caspian

caspian Member

then you need a dislike button for the government. there should be one along in a couple of months.

Grumposaur, banshee, fredhoon and 3 others like this.
  5. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Love it! Well said Caspian. I certainly wont be voting for Liberal Coalition any time in the forseeable future, if ever. Unfortunately Both major parties are the same.

This from today's Australian:

"Coalition MPs thinking about retirement have been urged to consider the impact of their decisions on the nation’s future".

Hahahahahaha. Really? Bit bloody late for that now. Rat's leaving the sinking ship. Maybe they ALL should have thought about that before embarking on destroying the NBN and rolling out MTM. If you were in the party and allowed it to happen you are just as complicit as Turnbull and Abbott. Not a single politician in Australia could give a rat's arse about the nation, its future or the people. Not one.

6. cvidler

cvidler Member

that's right you're vote will have zero effect on the future of the nbn, that boat has sailed. no government is going to commit the billions to revert what has already been done. And when it's sold off, the new owner won't do anything about it either - unless it can be made more profitable.

7. caspian

caspian Member

the NBN is simply not an election issue for most people. they're far more concerned about issues like traffic congestion and how long they waste getting to and from work every day, real worth pay growth, interest rates, credit card fees, education policy and funding, effective policing and crime, illegal immigration, drugs use in society, whether they're going to be able to afford to retire long enough to enjoy it before dropping dead from overwork, and all of the other crap that they deal with every single day.

8. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

Dumb question:

HFC NBN has just gone live in my street. We have the old Foxtel/Telstra port, with nothing to plug into it yet. Do I need to wait for an NBN connection box to be delivered before ordering a service, or do I need to order a service first in order for the box to be delivered?

9. 1dongchen

1dongchen Member

I didn't get the modem until I put an order in. My neighbor hasn't ordered the NBN and he still doesn't have a modem 18 months later.

spootmonkey likes this.
  10. caspian

caspian Member

correct. the presence of the modem or not is known by the service class allocated to the premises. if only the network drop is known to be in place, the modem and internal wiring if need be will be triggered by the first service order.

once an order has been completed, the premises then has a service class indicating that all subsequent orders can be a logical activation only.

11. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    Won't make much difference where I live, for better or worse. :( Last election Labor (candidate) promised to have us switched from FTTN to FTTP if they were elected. She got in, and we are now scheduled for FTTC, but she had nothing to do with that. (Poor performance of the first FTTN due to crap copper, and the FTTC tech coming on line did that.)

No surprise, at the end of January, the estimator that said "Available from January 2019", now says "Available from March 2019" on the nbnco site. Still waiting to see anyone pulling cable in the area. Almost back to what it said 2 years ago, when it started off as "Available from April 2019".

It sounds disapointingly like my bosses estimates of when things will be done. I know exactly how our clients feel about it.

12. caspian

caspian Member

that might have something to do with her being in the opposition, and therefore not having the power to do anything?

FTTC is pretty quick to build, although March seems aspirational if there has been zero work to date.

13. 1dongchen

1dongchen Member

caspian, gf's place is getting HFC. Some sales person told her she can't keep her adsl when signing up to HFC NBN. I kept mine when I did it (but not for long enough. Once I thought my NBN was fixed I cancelled it. Twas a bad move and I would have gone back to ADSL given the chance.) Have things changed? Surely a new HFC post HFC freeze means that she should have a better time than I did regardless.

14. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    True enough on both counts.

There has been some work. Cleaning conduits, running pullthroughs, a few new pits. But then basically nothing for the last 12 months.

15. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

is there anywhere to get reliable service fault information online at this time? We experienced regular outages though the heatwave we had, and another outage on the 24th of Jan, which has left numerous customers in my area complaining, but no information seems to be available. We were seeing solid 24Mbps even through peak times, but now < 1Mbps seems to becoming more the norm, and has been like that since the last outage.

16. caspian

caspian Member

it is your ISP's role to provide that for you.

17. caspian

caspian Member

nothing has changed on NBN's end. any limitation is something your ISP has implemented.

1dongchen likes this.
  18. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

unfortunately many of us continue hope this will change, as the finger pointing merry-go-round helps no one.

19. caspian

caspian Member

there is no finger pointing involved. the very simple fact is the ISP is the retailer and performs that sort of customer management function. NBN is the wholesaler, they don't service you directly because you're not their customer.

that's no different to any other wholesale/retail supply model in the world. there is no reason to change that construct that I can think of.

banshee likes this.
  20. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

The problem is the information remains hidden. NBN gets blamed for things that are in the ISP's sphere of responsibility, and vice versa. I see no reason why known network faults could not be reported to the general public in the same way planned maintenance or construction is. The information being freely available would surely provide a reduction in unnecessary support calls and harassment. We can do it for other forms of infrastructure, I cannot see how hiding the information from the general public is in any way beneficial other than to avoid accountability.

fredhoon likes this.