The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

there's an assurance minimum that the line must reach, both in upload and download. the actual values are a combination of technology, ordered speed and coexistence status - there is no single answer.

that said, 8Mbps is not a failing test for upload for anything, short of a service with at least a 10/10Mbps TC-2 component, but pretty sure you don't have that as the wholesale cost is about $480/month alone.

presumably you're failing some other metric which has resulted in the request for cable replacement.

2. r8response

r8response Member

I was approached by a random person with the ID Tag for a Micronode at work the other day. It looks to have fallen off and has sat in the dirt for some time. I was unable to reattach it as the adhesive is covered in dirt/rocks etc.

Does it matter much if there is no ID tag on it (4NOO-01-08-FNO-001)? There are two nodes side by side with consecutive ID numbers

3. kaine88

kaine88 Member

I'm definitely not paying that much unless ABB is footing the rest of the bill without telling me :lol:. I guess I'll see what happens after they replace it, I've just got a feeling that replacing it won't really fix anything as the techs didn't seem to think there was a fault at the property.

Could another metric be line attenuation or something?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  4. caspian

caspian Member

the only assurance metrics for most services are speed and stability.

it should be labelled, but anyone touching it has access to other means of identification, and as long as the other one is labelled there should be no immediate issues. I'll let the team know, but it will probably be done in the next maintenance inspection cycle as it's not urgent.

5. Bullus

Bullus Member

just got HFC nbn become available on my street in Boronia, Victoria, any suggestions of best isp to go with? it is quite hard to find reliable reviews and I really need to get off adsl as i am on very outer edge from node and get terrible speed,

6. caspian

caspian Member

Aussie Broadband is the new darling of the industry, approaching what Internode used to be.

7. kaine88

kaine88 Member

Yep Aussie Broadband are awesome. Their support is pretty good and are based in Australia. They are also pretty transparent with their network changes and how much capacity they purchase for each POI. Someone might even drop in their referral code so you can score a $50 credit :)

alt064 likes this.
  8. Bullus

Bullus Member

seems they have a first month free ( up to $99) at the moment so don't think i could use referal code also (ok read some more, seems i can use referal code to at least give someone their bonus even with promo code, (so i don't get a 2nd bonus,) so yeah first person to post here or pm a referal code will have me use it if i go with ABB

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  9. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

For those of us stuck on copper NBN with low sync. speeds, there is some hope. Work is ongoing in my street to build a new micronode. A micronode is exactly as it sounds: a smaller FTTN termination node. NBNCo run fibre to the micronode. The micronode is placed closer to premises and does not connect to copper lines via the pillar. As part of deploying a micronode, it appears NBNCo also replace the copper run from the micronode to the nearest pit of the premises that are connected to said micronode.

10. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    Is that why my FTTC connection keeps getting pushed back? They're up there fixing yours instead? You bastard! :p

11. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

Unfortunately I have no influence on NBNCo work schedules, otherwise I would have instructed the crews to run the fibre an extra 250 metres to my house. ;)

I have been told by NBNCo technicians that my entire street is not capable of reaching the mandated 25Mbit minimum downstream. Also, the co-existence period ended for this area in October 2017. I suppose it follows - irrespective of bad press - that NBNCo "must" upgrade my area in parallel with rollouts in other areas currently not enabled for NBN.

12. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Our street was promised a micro node 2+ years ago. Still nothing. Distance to full size node is a minimum of 1.5km

13. cvidler

cvidler Member

this wouldn't have happened pre-MTM farce.

14. alt064

alt064 Member

Hey, Bullus: If you want to quote mine, that would be great... unless someone else was quicker off the mark! :)

www.aussiebroadband.com.au/nbn-signup/?rc=1550789

Edit: I also have had a good experience with Aussie BB, btw, get 24+/4.5+ pretty much consistently on a 25/5 plan (the line is 100/40 capable). Local support has been responsive and effective on the one occasion I had a tech failure. Was previously with Telecube, who did a great job chasing NBN over initial tech issues, and provided a good 50/20 service until they ran out of cash flow.

Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    firey4059 likes this.
  15. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

Question regarding new NBN HFC installs in old Telstra cable areas
    Are they supposed to replace the old cables to the old Foxtel/Cable box and also replace the box itself with an NBN branded one?
    And what about the cable from the NBN box to the outlet? Who's responsible for that?

16. caspian

caspian Member

actually it does, just not in the same way a full sized node does via a tie cable direct to the pillar, which is the point of interconnect. a micronode is cut into the street cabling using a new control joint, so it has upstream connectivity to the pillar from there.

definitely not as standard. they just cut into the existing cable with the new CJ, the cabling from there to the premises remains as is. if it was indeed replaced, it was because it required it in its own right, not inherently because the micronode was installed.

17. caspian

caspian Member

existing cabling won't be replaced unless there's something wrong with it. NBN will install their own modem, what Telstra have installed is their concern.

once NBN take over the HFC network in the area (and I believe all areas have now been handed over) NBN maintain the connection all the way to the BCO. if you have an active NBN connection, you report any issues via your NBN RSP. if you still have a legacy Telstra service (data or Foxtel) you continue to report any issues via that provider as before, and they escalate to NBN if need be.

18. power

power Member

someone else will give you a definitive answer, i'm in an hfc area. there was existing cable in our building (block of 9 units). It was ripped out and NBN put all their own stuff in.

i believe the reason would be that the nbn's hfc isn't active and that the cable is still in use. i'm sure caspian will have a more accurate answer for you.

19. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

Fair enough. I'm not complaining about my specific circumstance, but, more joints? That's just what copper needs in this country! This shambles of a technology mix shows its true self at every opportunity.

Fair enough. I have had a few outages in the past and each time the NBNCo technician has told me it was very difficult to find a pair that was good enough to deliver any kind of signal. I guess my street was 'lucky' to be bad enough that the copper had to be replaced as well as a micronode installation.

My service went offline on February 9th - no line sync whatsoever. The guys working in the street told me it could be up to four weeks for commissioning of a micronode, which is fair enough - but surely that wouldn't require the entire street to be offline for that entire duration? I will have to wait and see...

20. arytel

arytel Member

Caspian, wondering if you can answer some questions I have about HFC. We've just had HFC run to our house and the outside box on the wall installed. Weren't given much notice and limited choice on position, but since this is a new connection I'm presuming its all through the NBN.

Do you know what the allowable installation distances are for the internal connection? My main concern is the original phone line connection is in the middle of the house, distance from the box outside (planwise) is about 10-15m due to this its where we've setup our router server etc. Ideally we'd like it to run to the same spot but the provider would not provide an answer, only that it can be discussed with the technician onsite.