The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

the information isn't hidden. NBN provides it to their customers in a regular manner - you need to internalise that you're not NBN's customer. if your RSP isn't providing it to you as their customer, that's a failing on their part. why aren't you asking them why they aren't doing their job?

you do realise that planned maintenance is communicated to the RSPs in precisely the same manner as unplanned outages, yeah?

construction is totally different, because by definition therefore there cannot be any services yet, so there is no RSP. so the public website provides a general advice for anyone living in the area.

you don't call NBN though. they're a wholesaler. if you do, they will tell you to do what you should have done in the first place, which is to call your RSP. that's not hiding or anything like it, it's called having areas of responsibility. that's how the wholesaler/retailer/end user relationship chain works and always has worked, for quite literally decades now.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  2. Sorak

Sorak Member

We just got NBN FTTN installed, 40/15 compared to 4.5/0.5 ADSL2+. Now I need a wireless modem for my PC but I don't have any spare PCI ports. We're using a ASUS dsl-n55u it says its a router/modem, Is there some setting that'll make it receive a signal and transmit it? and if not what type of hardware do I need to receive a wireless signal and transmit it via ethernet?
    Thanks

3. caspian

caspian Member

the modem is the device that connects to your copper line and turns DSL signal into ethernet. I presume you are wanting a wifi network adapter for your PC. if you have no spare slots then a USB one is the next option.

the modem in that Asus device is not FTTN compatible (doesn't do VDSL2) so I presume you are using it in EWAN mode, so it's just a wifi router. pretty much any wifi adapter for the PC should work with it.

4. Sorak

Sorak Member

What I was hoping it could do is work as a receiver of a wireless signal, though I cannot see any obvious options for that.

USB runs of CPU right? Is there any other technical disadvantage of USB vs PCI? google search gives anecdotal preferences.
    Oh and USB2 is slow as molasses. My PC is old. prefer Ethernet connection

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  5. caspian

caspian Member

any wifi device will by definition be both a transmitter and a receiver.

I doubt any PC built in the last 10 years will be hampered in the slightest by a USB wifi dongle, but if you want ethernet, run a cable.

6. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

More as a response to [Swen], we get advised of works from our RSP, although we also run business services over NBN, so we technically pay our RSP for the privilege of them telling us about planned and emergency works, instead of having to go to some random pleb website every day to find out new planned events.

7. insular

insular Member

anyone know from how long they have workers outside the house for a few weeks and laying cable to when it is available? my check on website says april, but that's 2 months away. surely it won't be that long now?

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

yeah cause laying cable is all they have to do right.

it'll be ready when it's ready and no sooner.

9. zed_kid

zed_kid Member

My NBN got pushed out by 18months. Still says I’m getting FTTP though, so lose some win some I guess…

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

mines been pushed back so many times, lost count, keeps getting worse too. started FTTP, then FTTN, then FTTC, back to FTTN now, will probably end up with FTTTCWS (fibre to the tin can and wet string) by 2030.

banshee likes this.
  11. hairy

hairy Member

I been pushed back for 5 years now.
    over it so I went with vivid 4g 12/1 and have since swapped to optus and get 69/39.
    was last told my date is December 19 but im not bothered anymore.

12. insular

insular Member

thanks so much for your valuable insight. it was really informative.

13. Sorak

Sorak Member

I'm more referring to the USB transfer speed.
    Just purchased a tp link ac1200, what a pile of garbage, wont even connect to 5ghz and loses 60% signal strength from the modem 10 metres away.
    connects to the nbn at 1/3.5.

14. chip

chip Member

It's worth starting a separate thread, it sounds like there are a few things going in our setup that are more general home network problems than NBN-specific

15. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

I paid for FTTP via TCP. It took 2 days for the fibre to be run, connected and the NTD to be installed. 3 weeks later, a NBN Tech visited to do a quality inspection. 2 weeks after that, I was able to connect.

Whole process took 5 months and I was the ONLY customer..................

Good luck.

16. renren

renren Member

I wish there was a way to find more information about our connections... I pay for the 100/40 speed upgrade to get 15/5 on a good day. If we use the 25/5 plan (which would logically make sense with the above right?) I get 6/1 or worse. Optus' takes away a portion of my bill because of it but it shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

Is my area over subscribed?
    How long is my cable run?
    Why did I get 98/39 at my previous address which is not that far away? (and further out of town)
    Would swapping telco give me better speed or is it just stuck like this forever?
    Is there anything I can do? :(

renren

17. Tinian

Tinian Member

Are you on NBN? Give Aussie BB a call. I routinely get ~97/36 on my 100/40 plan every time I do a speedtest.

18. caspian

caspian Member

have you considered asking your Internet Service Provider these questions?

19. renren

renren Member

Yes :( multiple times. The answers are not satisfactory, primarily because the service representatives don't have answers for these sorts of questions in their scripts (or, in some unfortunate cases, the language skills to comprehend what I'm asking).

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

take your business/money elsewhere, there's other ISPs that offer no contract deals, so it can be relatively risk free.

TheWedgie and Madengineer like this.