The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

Hmm..
    The reason I asked is because my inlaws recently changed over to NBN HFC (coming from DSL).
    The coax stuff has never been touched since they moved in some 15 odd years ago, so it's as original as you can get I suppose.
    From what I can see, the NBN techs didn't replace any of it (even the external Telstra/Foxtel box? NTD?)

When I had my house swapped over, the NBN tech was going to drop a new overhead line in (told him not to worry as I was still getting full cable speeds and it was only a year or 2 old).
    And he definitely swapped out the external box thing.

3. caspian

caspian Member

joints are not inherently a problem. a pillar is a "joint". a properly made joint has effectively no impact on DSL signal. there's already a joint in your line for every 5 house frontages on average.

yes, quite likely. copper is replacement is quite expensive, it can be more than the micronode without trying too hard. which technique (or both as in your case) gets used is a matter of individual assessment.

no way. the micronode cut-in should take one day at most. field techs are good at what they do, but they have a very limited view of what's going on beyond their part of it. your service provider will have been notified of any disruption to your service and should be able to tell you of the timeframe, and raise a fault for you if the service is not working outside the scope of the planned works.[/QUOTE]

firey4059 likes this.
  4. caspian

caspian Member

that sounds like the network build drop team. they just go down the street doing drops to every premises unless you're a conscientious objector that has opted out (in which case you'll be charged for the install later). that happens automatically, you don't have to order a service for it to happen.

HFC is not really my area, but I believe something in the order of 30m(?) of cabling to the wallplate is acceptable, but that's subject to reasonable access to the location. internal walls can be a problem as that means either ceiling or underfloor access, both of which are HS&E no-nos. your provider gave you the right answer - discuss with the tech on the day. if the area is going to be a PITA to get to then you can maximise your chances by making access as easy as possible, but I also suggest being prepared with a backup alternative on an external wall in case.

firey4059 likes this.
  5. caspian

caspian Member

15 year old cabling isn't inherently a problem. copper doesn't really age unless it has been physically damaged or a joint is not sealed and has corrosion issues. I've lived at premises with cabling nearly 30 years old that was fine.

the box outside isn't an NTD, it's just a plastic box they can conveniently mate internal to external cabling in, plus fit a splitter, amplifier or attenuator if need be. they may have just decided it wasn't looking good from an integrity point of view (seals degraded when they inspected it), or maybe it wasn't large enough to fit a splitter (which you will need as you already have one internal connection for your Foxtel, and the NBN connection will also need a socket).

6. koopz

koopz Member

edit...

thread moved on

7. koopz

koopz Member

caspian.. call me if you are on my team at work please.

now.

8. koopz

koopz Member

yes - it is Sunday..

NOW.

9. BAK

BAK Member

Call me too please, I'm quite keen to know the story here!

kaine88 and Daemon like this.
  10. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

[​IMG]

kaine88 likes this.
  11. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Ouch. Doesnt sound good.................

12. chip

chip Member

true story, pseudonymous posts on OCAU public forums are part of NBN back-end engineering team emergency contact processes

firey4059, fredhoon and CptVipeR like this.
  13. BAK

BAK Member

caspian so, enquiring minds gotta know. Did you call? Don't leave us hanging!

firey4059 and disguisey like this.
  14. disguisey

disguisey Member

Agreed. We need to know!

15. caspian

caspian Member

I don't work on Sundays unless *I* deem it to be important, and I guarantee very much I'm not on koopz's team, whatever it is.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    firey4059, fredhoon, banshee and 3 others like this.
  16. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

I've had my service restored but I do not think it is on the micronode just yet. The guys who came to fix my line were also there to fix two other premises in my street, so I wasn't the only one!

They had to take two runs from two different pairs to get me a working pair, so I suppose I can forgive the other guys installing the new copper if they mistakenly disconnected something they thought was an unused line... but still. I work in a closely related industry and there is no way in hell I would ever leave a work site without having verified that all the cabling I touched/modified was working as intended.

I hope you got your problem resolved! Was caspian helpful in the end? :D

koopz likes this.
  17. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Is it this team?

18. kaine88

kaine88 Member

Well after some NBN maintenance last night my upload seems to be back to normal. Many thanks to the NBN gods for restoring my extra Mbps

19. caspian

caspian Member

you may be surprised the amount of stuff that gets fixed because I and other people get quality real time feedback from here and other sources. nothing that wouldn't happen anyway via normal channels, but that process does take a certain amount of time.

banshee, Cool Barn, arytel and 3 others like this.
  20. Stewey

Stewey Member

I'm curious if anyone knows how the speed limiting works on NBN based plans?
    All speeds given are averages over 24 hours.
    I signed up with a plan for 50 down and 20 up. I could only only achieve 23 down and 19 up on FTTN so I asked the RSP what they could do.
    We agreed that going down to a 25 down 5 up plan would be the most sustainable option.

Once I was downgraded I could now achieve 21 down and 3 up. This is where I get confused as I thought I would easily get the 5 up on this plan which would have made it usable for me.
    Does anyone know why it would get limited below the plan rate when I can achieve the maximum on my line?