1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Perko

Perko Member

I'm still really enjoying my 2/3 Fixed Wireless service.

2. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Still waiting ......

Apparently getting FTTC in "Apr-Jun" .... what are the chances? Have seen zero activity thus far.

3. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    Probably about the same as mine. FTTC Planned to be available from April, before that it was March, and January, and September...

The only activity I have seen was the couple of guys working their way along the street, clipping every pair & rejoining them. Luckily I had just disconnected from the remote session repairing a clients database when they cut me off. I was still on the phone to them, however.

4. hairy

hairy Member

as per the 4g thread me included, optus is our only available decent connection with decent data.
    if Telstra offered 500gig 4g connection I would jump on it but for 80 bucks optus is my best option.
    69/39 speeds im happy with as I live in Sydney with no landline available.

5. caspian

caspian Member

send me a street address and I will check. just street name and suburb will do.

6. caspian

caspian Member

hopefully you never have a problem with it, or need to call them about anything. the point is that it's cheap for a reason.

hey, if Ferraris were the same price as a Camry I'd be driving one.

7. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Happy days. Sometime in the last 2 days it's changed to Jan-Mar 2020. Sigh.

8. jcorney

jcorney Member

after two jobs logged via the RSP we finally got my parents moved to the new node that has been installed since their initial connection (300m against 1300m away) with a speed increase from 7mb/s to 47. When the tech came out he was surprised they weren't moved to the new one but it seems nobody is without bitching about it

9. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

Good to know it is possible to get moved, everything from those in the know seem to say it is "impossible". (where impossible is it can physically be done but they won't go to the effort /cynical)

10. jcorney

jcorney Member

The new node was specifically installed in the street after the area (rural residential) was under serviced in the initial rollout

CptVipeR likes this.
  11. callan

callan Member

That would be Caspian's doing. He hates you:p:cool:.

Callan

banshee and Pugs like this.
  12. B16B

B16B Member

hey all, after 3 years of getting flyer in the mailbox saying NBN is coming to my area, now i'm getting flyers saying "NBN will be imminent now, please pre-order with us from various ISP", telstra wholesale agent also came by to notify that the phone land line will be decommissioned soon after, need to be on mobile or VOIP later.
    is there any ISP good with HFC?
    does the pill/bullet thing on the street becomes the node or its a separate thing all together? its 50m from my place.
    i'm aiming for hi-res youtube and netflix. not much gaming.
    Regards

PS i have been with internode for 5+ years

13. bryn

bryn Member

If its hfc the pillar is irellevant, the “node” is a shoebox in a pit or on the power lines somewhere.

Hfc go with aussie broadband or superloop

14. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Wondering if some one can provide some advice. MIL is 20M from a node. Got her on the 50mb plan thinking it would be nothing to get the speed. Max speed 35. Exetel keep telling me the wholesaler is checking things remotely but it's been the same story for a week. It's only a month to month plan are they talking crap and I should switch to Aussie BB?

15. Phido

Phido Member

Porting my FTTH from telstra to Belong. No point in going telstra unless you are getting an entertainment package.

Plans are a bit cheaper than last time I looked. nearly Everyone offers the same deal. $55-65 for 50mbps unlimited.

16. caspian

caspian Member

shoot me her address. I doubt she's 20m from the node via wire distance, but maybe there is something else that can be done.

nah, if I had something against him he'd be getting satellite.

17. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Done. There is a big Telstra pit out the front so I think that may be involved some what.

18. caspian

caspian Member

OK, she's actually around 400m from the node. the systems reflect that correctly, if I do a dummy order against the address it gives me a estimated performance of 43Mbps - if the RSP didn't tell her that, I wish I could say I was the slightest bit surprised. unfortunately, yet again another example of an RSP failing to use the tools made available to them for that specific purpose.

the modem is synced up at 42.4Mbps which is as close to perfect for the estimated performance as you could wish for. the pit out the front is actually a manhole, but it's still just a pit with a copper joint in it, it doesn't play any part in the performance of the service.

19. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Well that's ridiculous. Wonder how hard it will be to change the node she's on to the one literally down the road.

20. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

Err none. You could do alot worse than 35.