The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

shoot me her address. I doubt she's 20m from the node via wire distance, but maybe there is something else that can be done.

nah, if I had something against him he'd be getting satellite.

2. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Done. There is a big Telstra pit out the front so I think that may be involved some what.

3. caspian

caspian Member

OK, she's actually around 400m from the node. the systems reflect that correctly, if I do a dummy order against the address it gives me a estimated performance of 43Mbps - if the RSP didn't tell her that, I wish I could say I was the slightest bit surprised. unfortunately, yet again another example of an RSP failing to use the tools made available to them for that specific purpose.

the modem is synced up at 42.4Mbps which is as close to perfect for the estimated performance as you could wish for. the pit out the front is actually a manhole, but it's still just a pit with a copper joint in it, it doesn't play any part in the performance of the service.

4. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Well that's ridiculous. Wonder how hard it will be to change the node she's on to the one literally down the road.

5. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

Err none. You could do alot worse than 35.

6. koopz

koopz Member

No... as it turns out, though someone else here at OCAU chimed in though, which I was quote thankful for.

We had to fill out the forms and move on. Caspian is available here on a social media aspect I find - the rules changed at work to allow communication not more than a week prior and I jumped on the opportunity to grab him as an Engy to fix a problem on a Sunday.

It's par for the course. You make friends and build rapport with familiar names at call centers the same way we did with Telstra years ago. We do the same for friends. that's IT.

In the end, it's all about reaching those KPIs and showing the new faces on the project how the Aus IT business works now with MTM.

I must say, I do like that Caspian helps folks informing them with their Copper issues. One wonders if we would have needed NBN at all if he were here doing his job during the Telstra era.

meh.

back to work.

someone needs their call center phones and computers working at 9am tomorrow morning.

They have an unstable FTTN and ETH combo.

Fun.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  7. caspian

caspian Member

I was doing that job during the Telstra era. ;) and supporting field contractors is very much not my current role.

impossible. the node down the road is the one she is on. cabling rarely takes a direct path from premises to ideal termination point, and she's 270m from the pillar alone.

8. koopz

koopz Member

more time in the field, you require Master

your Avatar is apt

9. caspian

caspian Member

more time away from keyboard you require, methinks. :lol:

10. koopz

koopz Member

more posting on OCAU in defense of MTM is required of you.

You are an online celebrity at the company I work at Caspian.

You're not Donald Trump level yet - keep trying!

11. wraith666

wraith666 Member

I should of clarified. Speed is 3 times what she was on so I am happy for that given a lot of other people will never see those speeds I was more shocked at the cable length.

I was naive in my thinking that if a node/pillar is 20M away that's roughly what the cable length will be.

Caspian thank you for your input. I had Mum booked in to get the house wired up in anticipation of one day getting better speeds but as that's all there is you just saved her a heap of money as even wireless will saturate that connection.

12. caspian

caspian Member

I see myself more like DJT, actually. move behind the scenes and shitpost when I feel like it. :)

[​IMG]

13. caspian

caspian Member

nw, shame your ISP could not have helped you with the tools made available to them. btw, the pillar is up the other end of the block, outside the church. that might give you some of an idea what the actual cable run looks like.

14. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Yeah that's a massively convoluted cable run then. I don't know why I had 20M stuck in my mind when it's 200M away as the crow flies.

Edit: Gotta say though I'm glad my FTTN is mint. Maxed out 100MB :D

15. koopz

koopz Member

your words mate...

Mind if I quote you on that?

Personally, I'm wishing I got to know kat.zip and her hubby better over time here. I would prefer to spend my time talking with Elvis and his partner on a Sunny Sunday.

We're all great people sure - though I'm long tired and over helping others who take advantage of people online.

16. caspian

caspian Member

and there you've lost me as the weirdness transcends comprehension.

[edit - x2. not worth replying.]

// BiZ likes this.
  17. koopz

koopz Member

You have a job.

You will continue to do it under the guidelines set down for you.

sorry dude I am going into a training sesh now...

keep doing your thing?

try not to piss people off?

NBN needs peeps who will perform 22s atm, and you guys have alienated even the Aus IT workforces you spent millions trying to get on your side over the years.

You are on your own...

You made your bed.

Lie in it.

18. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

Man I wish I knew a tech that could actually come to my house and physically check my line for me, and what node I'm attached to.

ABB have updated their portal so that I now get a lot more information about all the times I have called them to enquire as to why my service has been shit, and going back through the logs now it brings up a few questions that I would love to raise with them.

Speed at start: 61/30 Stable
    Test 1: service down
    Test 2: 62/29.9 unstable
    Test 3: 45/23 stable (stability profile)
    Test 4: 45.7/23.8 stable
    Test 5: 44/18 stable
    Test 6: service down
    Test 7: 57/30 stable
    Test 8: 57/18 stable
    Test 9: 52/6 unstable
    Test 10: service down (stability profile)
    Test 11: 41/13 unstable
    Test 12: 41/13 stable
    Test 13: 41/10 unstable (stability profile)

I haven't had a single valid reason as to why my speed has dropped to the level it has, why my stability has been all over the place even with the profile added, and someone, somewhere, refuses to send a tech out to check.

RuBbErDuCk likes this.
  19. koopz

koopz Member

there's a guy here...

grease his palm.. his name is Caspian

Years in the future your local IT guy will plug in the tester and email you the NBN test results

..from his/her phone, like I my 50 staff did today HFC NBN customers around Australia..

hmmm.. I said "staff".

I meant - friends I made online over the years

We just want to fix your computer... don't throw this simplistic carrier shit into our job... we have enough to get done for you.

tomorrow is Monday, and you just need your network running.

20. caspian

caspian Member

none of the speeds you list are low enough to qualify for an assurance ticket. if your ISP can demonstrate that the service is unstable as defined by contractual terms, then they can raise a ticket.

in terms of variable speed, that's entirely normal for DSL,and always has been. DSL is an analogue technology, it adjusts bitloading (speed) to deal with changing noise, and noise always changes due to human activity. it only becomes a defined service issue when it varies outside acceptable limits.

your ISP knows (or should know) very well what those are, because they're part of the contractual terms and conditions for the product they have bought from NBN. NBN in turn enforce those in terms of whether they will accept a service investigation ticket or not. like any mass produced consumer grade product, there is very much a "good enough" level that applies to both DSL performance and stability, and the price of the product reflects that. higher grade products are available, and they come with a higher grade price to match the costs of delivering them.

by all means go and do IT work then. while you're working as a telco carrier subcontractor, your attitude demonstrates exactly why you get micromanaged.