The Great Big NBN Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

I do not blame you moving away from Exetel on general principles, but you do know the move won't change your speeds, yeah?

also, one of the downsides is going with smaller reseller providers is that you only ever get to talk to the monkey. if your churn has been finalised and you're up and running with the new ISP... both monkeys are resellers of the same organ grinder.

2. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Yeah I know but it's more the principal of the matter. The guy I spoke to told me numerous times switching to them would not instantly give me a better speed which is at least something. The fact it's an Australian company with an Australian call centre helped as well.

3. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

NBN finally installed, NBN50 and we're loving the speed boost, sure beats 3.5/1

4. Beanz

Beanz Member

I just signed up and used your referral code.

You're welcome. :)

5. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

more of a heads up... but if you're in an NBN HFC area, and are currently on Telstra HFC Cable (NON NBN) and your area is RFS, you can get a free speed boost

6. midonnay

midonnay Member

transfered from internode on adsl2 to 100mbps HFC

download speeds are good but turns out that internode HFC is TPG rebadged so I went from getting about 130ms latency to singapore to around 290ms. RIP.

As I play alot of fighting games with friends in SEA this means I have no choice but to churn to aussiebroadband or maybe Superloop.

7. caspian

caspian Member

I've commented on this many times before, but be very careful which provider you select. when you pick a provider that is just a reseller of someone else's service (or, in this case, a purchased brand name only), you aren't necessarily getting what you think. pre purchase research is the go.

8. darknebula

darknebula Member

Switched to Superloop FTTC last week and impressed so far. 100/40 has been at full speed every time I’ve checked. Latency in game playing Path of Exile has gone from mid 30’s to mid teens

9. Beanz

Beanz Member

Getting 63/28 via Aussie Broadband FTTN - That's with the 100/40 plan, not sure whether I should downgrade to the 50/20 which is $20 cheaper per month. Mainly use the connection for streaming Netflix/Stan/Kayo/Hayu and the kids do some light gaming..

10. darknebula

darknebula Member

Is the extra 13 worth $20 a month? If it was me I’d probably downgrade

11. Beanz

Beanz Member

Yeah, I've just scheduled a plan change. I hope it doesn't drop to 40 though. I know there some overheads and you never get the full speed of your plan

12. darknebula

darknebula Member

It won’t drop to 40, your line rate is above that already

13. caspian

caspian Member

your line rate is set to allow for the layer 1 to layer 2 overheads, which is why (for example) a 25/5 line actually syncs at up to 28000/6400Kbps, 50/20 syncs at 55000/22600 etc.

you won't get 25/5Mbps data throughput out of a 25/5 line because it's a layer 2 service, and your download test does not take into account overheads from layer 2 to above.

14. im late

im late Member

Any Perth Based recommendation on what ISP to go with? I don't want to go with an "on-seller".

I know it comes across as a very broad question, but helpful suggestions are appreciated.

Going to be a FTTN connection to my free standing dwelling in Canning Vale 6155.

Looking at maybe 50 or 100?

15. bryn

bryn Member

Aussie Broadband

im late and BuD like this.
  16. Munki

Munki Member

Just awaiting NBN to ready service in our area so AussieBB can arrange installation. It's been 9 long years of crappy internet and it can't come sooner. If it all goes well, April 26 is go time for us. I'd already pre-ordered NBN with Aussie, so hopefully I'll be first in line.

17. BuD

BuD Member

Aussie are great iniust changed myself over and get solid 95/35 all day long and have downloads at 10-11mbit still even though telstra cable benchmarked at 120 gave same speeds. Aussie BB app is pretty good to

18. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

19. caspian

caspian Member

that's for a 50/20 service with unlimited data, and either Optus Sport (whatever that is) or a home voice service with all national calls.

Aussie charge $79 for the same data package, and $10 more for the voice service.
    TPG charge $70 for the data service with the voice service included.... but it's $10 more for unlimited national calls.
    Telstra want $90 for the bundled data and voice service, and it comes with 4G failover.

the Optus pricing does not seem unremarkable to me. high speed data costs money, this isn't a decade+ old depreciated network.

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

no it's a century old depreciated network (for the majority of australia not blessed with glass)